Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Ship: Halifax Schooner

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Dagon polygon
Hello this is my first ever ship model which I have been working on for several days it may not be up to the best quality but I'm trying the best I can as my computer isn't that powerful.... so I can't use subsurf much because my PC lags to death especially with such a complex 3D mesh.

I have also named the cannons as the following: Surprise, Lord Nelson, Sudden Death, David's Sling, God's Hammer and Breathing Beast. I am going to add the lower deck as well, consisting of the Captain's cabin and where the crew sleeps or add more cannons instead but I can't add both.... cannons and sleeping sailors don't mix! I don't know much about ships so I just did my best on my limited knowledge of ships and the specific ship which is the Halifax Schooner if I'm not mistaken... There are a few inaccuracies which are quite evident if you compare my model to the ship in real life. Anyway please post as much feedback as you can preferably quality feedback like letting my know what should be changed or fixed or ways to improve the ship itself and maybe even rendering it... as I can't really render too well as you can see... I used ambient occlusion so the shadows wouldn't be so evident... I plan to include this into my portfolio as my first project since all the other stuff I've done has become my graveyard.... I forgot to mention that the sails will be using the cloth modifier if you have any points on that it'd help I know how to do it but if you've done something similar share your experience and tips if you'd like, Thanks a lot :p

WIP Images:
ship4.png
ship.png
ship2.png
ship3.png
ship10.png
ship5.png
ship6.png
ship7.png
ship8.png
ship9.png

Replies

• Tom3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom3D polycounter lvl 8
    the font doesn't seem to fit the ship well
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like you're trying to dive straight into fine detail before you have the basic, large, and medium forms and details worked out. Engraving and rigging should probably be done in one of the last detail passes you make after you've done all the hull forms and structure, all the deck, masts, and equipment, and similar size features.

Start large and rough and work progressively finer. Also try breaking up the model into smaller pieces so you can hide parts like the masts and the railings while you're working on the hull, and things like that.
  • n88tr
    less noise on the renders next time
    looks like a pretty good start

needs barrels and the plank
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    nice :) back in the day one of my first models was a ship. of you want some advice I'll do my best. first of all, the rigging is always going to take up alot of poly's. the best way to keep the poly count down is to make sure the cross section of the rope is square rather than round. depending on how high you want your poly count to go, decide how you want this to end up, game or high poly model?

the next thing you want to look at is individual assets, like for example the cannons, I see you have kept the poly count on the wheels quite low, but you have used a high poly chain on it, it wastes your hard work.

the same goes for the ropes in the block and tackle,I would suggest thinking about what you want to use this ship for, what angle is it likely to be seen from, think about where you can take out polys.. one I would suggest would have to be where the block is attached to the spar(I think that's what its called). rather than make that complex rope setup, just build it in and texture the rope on like in the picture I attached.

All that said if it is more of a film or photo real appearance your going for, make sure EVERYTHING is high poly, at the moment I feel its somewhere in between.. if its for production those wheels need the extra edges as do all the ropes etc. on the other side if your going for low poly/games stuff you want to screen grab, not render and not use the cloth or dynamics system.. this place is AWESOME for good advice and if you let us help along the way this ship will kick butt.

I hope at least some of that helped, and please don't think I'm knocking your work, I have given my advice in the best interests of getting this to be as good as it can :D good luck
  • Dagon
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    @ Nistrum: You're not knocking my work at all :) you've answered just the way an artist should and well done to you! And I do agree with you I am inbetween a high poly and low poly ship I tend to do that a lot... I haven't really had any one teaching me or anything like that mainly self teaching, Trial and Error and a few video tutorials. I've been using Blender for around 3-4 years and learning rather slowly unfortunately! But I am giving it my best shot because I want to get into the gaming industry or anything about 3D graphics.

About the Ship, I am going to use the ship for my portfolio since I have none.... And I really need to have one if I want to get a job in the 3D industry... So the Ship definitely has to be high poly although I've modelled almost everything low poly (without using any subsurf) So maybe I better make everything high poly instead.... the only problem is that my computer may not handle it and that's what I'm worrying about since I can't work with my pc stuttering every split second if you know what I mean. So to answer your post I am making this ship for my portfolio and possibly have it as an animation (most unlikely) but I'll try, But mostly it'll be for the renders, I really appreciate all the help I can get that's why I posted here :poly124:
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    HA! good to know someone else is working their way up through blender. I did that a long time ago. I was one of the original people that paid to make blender open source :D
    I ended up getting trained in Maya :D

the way to do the hi-poly low-poly thing is to do it bit by bit, kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I don't know how blender does with high poly baking and stuff... so I suggest using a program called Xnormal, it'll do the hard part for you, and its free :P

what I would suggest is start with the cannon, build it high poly and try and create the low poly to bake the normals out. you can do that with most of the parts of this ship.. you can use this as a massive project that will improve your skills.

first of all I suggest getting a good tutorial about baking from high to low poly do a simple model like take a cylinder make it quite low like 8 sided then take a 32 sided cylinder and bake the normals from the high to the low so you understand the mechanics of actually doing it and move up from there.

enjoy and keep working on it :D
  • Dagon
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    Great :D It's a good thing you contributed to Blender to make it open source in a way you've helped me indirectly as well as many others! Thanks a lot :) About the high poly modelling and baking the normal maps onto a low poly, I've heard of it and actually read into it and also attempted to try it but I just got lost and there wasn't enough information on how to do it... I have Xnormal but just don't know how to use it yet but I'll give it a shot, But there is one thing I'm concerned about... What's the reason for making a high poly version of the ship, cannons etc and then baking the normals onto a low poly bersion of the ship and cannons what's the difference? since there will still be jaggered edges right? I know it's a great technique for characters for games. Anyway I will look into it since you've mentioned it and since I will definitely need to know how to do this in the future especially for my portfolio :poly124: Thanks again.
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, well, the normal mapping thing is simple yet complex.. (woo always wanted to sound wise and mysterious :D)
    the really complex bits you don't really need to understand right now, the basic idea is it tricks your computer into thinking the surface is more complex than it is, this image shows the workflow.

1) basically diferentople do this either way, you build either your high or low poly model first, if your going to do it all in blender I suggest you build your High poly "subsurf) model first.. once its done you literally build your low poly around it, so have them both in the scene and build your low poly over it trying to fit the high poly JUST under the surface. once your done you take your high and low poly (make sure they have their pivot point in the same place), you then export them as OBJ files

2) once you have them both ( make sure you export the 2 meshes individually and as 2 seperate files usually Objectone_Low_001.obj or something like that) you need to import them into your normal mapping software, i use Xnormal.

3)Xnormal will look at the high poly and the low poly, compaire the 2 and basically make a texture that changes the look of the surface of the low poly in a game engine. (its all weird and purple and stuff) what you end up with is what you see in 3 which is the low poly with a normal map applied..

4 add your "diffuse" (colour) map and a spec map or 2 and your happy. :D

btw I didn't make that cannon just for this, it was an old thing I used to demonstrate the exact same thing to some one else a long time ago :P

I didn't proof read that so I hope it makes sense. its basically just to explain what normal maps are and how to use them in general terms, ill write something more useful later :P

minitutorial.jpg