Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Treasure Chest [WIP]

Here is a treasure chest that I’ve been working on. It has 60 polygons, 1024x1024 diffuse and normal mapping, and rendered with a few lights in 3ds Max. Any comments or critiques are greatly appreciated.

TC_TopPers.jpg
TC_Front.jpg
TC_BackPers.jpg
TC_Wire.jpg
TC_Diffuse.png
TC_Normal.png

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant see anything you wrote. and your normals looks really weird/they dont show up in the final render.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    Can you give us background information on yourself about this project? Is this your first project? Are you in school? etc.
  • Obliteracure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I first wanted to thank you for posting your remarks. Sorry about the text, I copy/pasted it. I increased the normal bump and I noticed some things were opposite so I fixed them in Photoshop.

Background info:
    This project was inspired by a imperator_dk who felt that another piece I was working on was too high for my skill level and suggested I create something simple like a 60 polygon treasure chest, so I did (not out of spite by the way). This is my first normal map using Teddy Bergsman's Ndo Photoshop script tool and second normal total. No, this is not my first project and no I am not in school (graduated). I am by no means a master as you can see and I consider myself a life long student. I wanted something with a fast turnaround so I used a few textures from CGtextures, some photo refs, and some line creations in Illustrator. Honestly, from research to current I have put in about 15 to 18 hours.

Gold and chamfering edges are great ideas, but I want to stick to the constraints of 60 polys. I guess I could put in a single plane with normal bumping. I was thinking of a blinding bright light but wanted to show texture.

Here is a normal map only image:

TC_Normal_Only.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Assuming the compass at the back is just a logo, does that need to be bumped?

Also, can you emit some light so we can see the textured detail in more clear?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) you should render in perspective mode, ortho always makes things look weird because it lacks... perspective.

2) There is a bit of a logic problem with the construction, the lock is to hold the lid securely in place right? But there is no hardware or locking mechanism on the lid.

3) Typically the outer edges where reinforced with metal, this was to prevent people from being able to pry away at weak spots. The way you have it on the lid, planks nailed to planks seem very easy to pry open and doesn't make a lot of structural sense.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with Mark in that you have missed a number of the structural points a chest would have.

Additionally, Your normal map looks very hacky, too much noise overall and the grain is too deep compared to the depth between the planks.

Finally, I recognize the cgtextures wood planks and that is never something you want someone to do, at the very least you want to be adding some overlays, modifying the colors, etc.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    60 Tris IS a challenge