Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gladiator - W.I.P.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Lombos polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone. I graduated from the Academy of Art University in San Francisco back in December, after some time off and a little vaction I'm back to working hard on my portfolio.

I only took a few basic games classes while I was at AAU because I didn't think I wanted to do games models. I can see it's much more likely I will be able to get a job if I open myself up to the games industry.

I'm a Maya user, I've played around in Max a little, I've never done normal maps until recently (just started testing out Xnormal), never done spec, or rendered in a game engine, and my texture skills might be rusty...So I have a bit of learning to do.

Anyway onto the goods...I really love to sculpt, so the easy part for me is basically done.

Screen grabs from Zbrush

6-23render.jpg

The shield will double as a Sheath for the sword I still need to make. I've made a low poly of the shield to do some test Normal bakes with Xnormal...they haven't been too successful yet. I'll post the issues I'm having tomorrow...

ShieldSculpt.jpg

I'll be updating regularly with all the fun problems I run into.
Comments & Crits very welcome.
Thanks for taking a look.
-Oliver

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I agree, the shield does look weird. The lion head is sick, but the shield itself is too bulbous. Also your gladiator arms look a bit flat.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe it's just me but the head seems just a tad too big. Other then that everything look pretty tight, especially like the shin guards. Everything just needs some damage.
  • Lombos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lombos polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work, the shield needs some work. Wear and tear, battle damage. The dent you have on there looks like you just took the move brush, pushed it in, and called it a day.
    Agreed, I just droped the Sub-D and Inflated with z-sub. It's actually not as easy as I thought it would be to find damaged shield reference. I plan to put more wear and tear, I've been using the shield as practice for figuring out Xnormal..which hasn't been going so hot...
    Before you start updating with your fun problems, bear in mind that the Polycount Wiki has a wealth of information. Also, most common problems have been addressed in previous threads and the answer is a search a way.
    Yup, been watching tuts, reading, tried quite a few different things. Still having some issues. I still have some things to try if I figure it out or not i'll probably post issues I ran into anyway if nothing else for other people who might be having similar trouble.
    P442 wrote: »
    your gladiator arms look a bit flat.
    Ya I see what youre saying, the biceps are sort of looking like Tic Tacs...I'll adjust them, thanks.
    MrHobo wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but the head seems just a tad too big. Other then that everything look pretty tight, especially like the shin guards. Everything just needs some damage.
    Just checked it, head is a bit large. I've been putting scratches and slight damage just been doing it too subtly, I'll definitely push it.

Thanks everyone,
    Oliver
  • Lombos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lombos polycounter lvl 6
    Updates, been working on a few different things to keep my eyes fresh from project to project. Guess I could have made this a sketchbook thread rather than just for one project but whatever...

The head was a bit big so I adjusted that, refined the bicep shape, dropped the belly button a little, and reshaped the abdominal. Also beat up all of his armor a bit.

Gladiator+Update+7-12.jpg

Shinguards.jpg

Armguards+-+ALL.jpg

Still need to make a sword, beat up the shield better, and continue figuring out xnormal.