Home Unreal Engine

Building is see-through (z-buffer?)

Violet
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Violet polycounter lvl 9
Having a problem with transferring a simple building into UDK.

The building is fine, until I put on the material:

xdbDB.jpg

It's a simple 2048 TGA bitmap - I removed the alpha channel and made it's own alpha channel bitmap file.

It is visible like this with the blend mode set to blend_translucent.

6U8JZ.jpg

This is what it's supposed to look like in it's absolute base form (with no alphas):

GDdUd.jpg

Solid:

ycGel.jpg

Material with alpha working on sphere:

AFeLe.jpg

and not:

tj1sw.jpg

"In-game":

uuJUE.jpg

I've got loads of stuff with alphas and need to get some understanding why it's doing this? I've not used UDK before, any help greatly appreciated.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Looks like some type of sorting error, try the blend masked or blend soft masked modes for the material.

Another possibility would be to make the object a multi sub material, where you apply a translucent shader only to the parts that need it and the rest would be a regular opaque material.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    m4dcow wrote: »
    make the object a multi sub material, where you apply a translucent shader only to the parts that need it and the rest would be a regular opaque material.

This would probably be the best solution.
  • Violet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Violet polycounter lvl 9
    I tried numerous other blending options, but they all do the same thing with alpha channel!
    Also tried to re-export in FBX (1st was AIS). Confused!

Is this a common problem with 'complex' static meshes?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Violet wrote: »
    I tried numerous other blending options, but they all do the same thing with alpha channel!
    Also tried to re-export in FBX (1st was AIS). Confused!

Is this a common problem with 'complex' static meshes?

It is not a normal thing to apply a translucent object to a whole building like you have there. Sorting errors do happen to translucent objects but normally it doesn't matter because the object is much smaller.

I would suggest you follow the advice of m4dcow and make separate material IDs for the parts you want to be transparent.
  • Violet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Violet polycounter lvl 9
    I tried the method described above and it worked perfectly! Thank you all!

I applied two (four in the window) separate materials, one with no alpha (for building and assets), and the other with alpha using blend_translucent (for alpha details and windows). And then applied each to the relevant material ID in the model.

In Max, each Multi-sub material needs a bitmap assigned and a text descriptor, otherwise it won't show in the 'static mesh editor':

lNW1I.jpg

(I missed one alpha'd polygon under the window).

bvSPv.jpg

Thanks once again!!!