Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vampire character

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Goeddy greentooth
So im working on this character, got concept, bodysculpt and basemesh for the armor done.
and i could use some feedback here

so this is where i currently am

wip2.png

wip2_2.png

wip1.png

Replies

• Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont really see anything that scream vampire to me. perhaps once you get the rest modeled, but right now the face and body seem to have to much life and don't really come across as the undead of occult'ish in any way.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Yer gotta agree there is nothing vampire like about him, most of the concepts i've normally seen regarding vamps are either they're extremely lean or just massive.. The typical human male doesn't really suit the archetype. (This is games / anime etc, not live film). If you are going for the more normal looking male personally i'd aim for something like out of 30 days of nights.

33450359.jpg
    30-days-of-night.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i gotta agree, he doesnt look much like a vampire yet.
    he will get get selfilluminated blue eyes, fangs and a very long tongue though.
    and ofcourse lots of blood on his cloth and armor
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so btw i got a timetable for him, hope i can make it in time.
    sculpt till 17th
    retopo, uv and texture till 24th
    buffer
    deadline is 29th.
    also got his teeth :D
    hpscreen5.png
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    unsolicited paintover

vampire.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    thx for the usefull feedback.
    maby im taking over the armstuff if i got enough time left.
    although would maby be helpfull if you say a word or two to this, except the notes.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I think that you have some solid anatomy, etc, but the design itself is kind of confused. It is neither realistic in terms of the armor, or fantastical in terms of the actual character. As previously noted, it does not "read" as a vampire.

My paintover callouts just explicate the visual language the concept uses -- where I stole the elements from.

In my experience designing for games is about pushing the elements until they are obviously stupid and then scaling them back until 14-year-olds no longer think it looks dumb. As such, I would not consider my paintover a critique, but rather a suggestion.
  • MonsterMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MonsterMan polycounter lvl 9
    OMG! Im so sorry! I didn't see this thread before I started my WIP vampire thread. I had no idea you were doing one too... lol Sorry about that. I wont add anymore to mine. Planing on changing my login name anyways.. ;P I promise Im not trying to steal your thunder or you steal mine either. So sorry... :poly136:
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    @ninjas
    have to admit that my goal for this character was not to make THE vampire, thats why the design is kinda... subtile :D
    this character sort of evolved from the first idea of a vampire with wings and believable anatomy.
    most important inspiration for this one came from the boss-qunari from dragon age 2.

when i design this stuff i always try to make it as belivable as possible. think im gonna try this -first creating something over the top, and then reducing it to something usefull- thing for the next char.

@monsterman
    dude np, think there are realy a lot of vampire-threads around here... vamps are the new zombies
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    MonsterMan why cant you continue your vampire thread? Just because he is doing a vampire one doesn't mean you have to call your project quits.

Crits for Goeddy, I think less is more with your model. I always viewed as having less armor as being more savage and brutal. Look at Kratos as an example. If you character is a vampire hunter, then yes I would see the need for some armor. That just my opinion though.
  • MonsterMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MonsterMan polycounter lvl 9
    @SnakeDoctor - I don't know. Just kind of weird running two threads with the same type of characters. I don’t want to push anybody into a compare/ contrast kind of thing. Goeddy has a pretty tight timeline here and I had a contest start up for work so I can just continue it later this month. No biggie.

Besides, I can use critiques and ideas from his thread on my model. (If Goeddy doesn't mind of course?) Our approach/ reference material for the vampires is different so I don’t think we’ll be stepping on each other’s toes.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you really need to push the design a lot further. So far, apart from stereotypical teeth, nothing about this character says vampire. Unless you use him in some sort of animated short or something to show his demeanor, we know nothing about him being vampire from a look-over. Almost everything about this character is a far departure from vampire.

What are the physical adaptations of vampires? How do they overwhelm their victims? etc etc.

So far all I see is a guy with styled facial hair and some awesome armor.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    SnakeDoctor
    thx, i always try to balance out every one part of detail with 2 parts of "flat" area to give the eye a chance to focus.

SnaFuBAR
    first thx u like the armor :)
    and
    i gotta agree again,
    he realy doesnt look like a creature of the night or some. gues i should be more creative in a medium that leaves me virtualy no limitations.

but as i said, he was not ment to be like that.
    seriously most vampires in movies are just people with fangs, wich are most of the time not even visible.
    and in all the scenarios they got different powers and weaknesses.

but ofcourse i didnt go in here without having thought about this stuff.
    here it comes :D
    so in my case vampirism is a mutation caused by a virus, spread by bodyfluidcontact.
    the effects of vampire mutation are new incisors ,replacing the old ones, increased tonguesize and lightblue eyes. and ofcourse increased physical strength, but nothing too fancy, aprox 150% of regular human strength.
    also they develop a growing hunger for human blood, wich solves as additional food although the real purpose is to spread the virus.
    also the vampires dont live forever, nether are there special ways to kill them.
    what makes them "immortals" is the mutation of theyr stomache, not only allowing direct absorbtion of blood, but of any other kind of human material- wich then can be used to replace dead/broken cells inside the vampires body, replacing the old DNA with DNA-samples of the host, produced by infected virus-cells.
    the paccage is completed by the virus acting as secundary immune system. if its host dies, it wont be able to spread and survive, so in its own interest its destroying hostile bakteria and viruses threatening its host.
    so due to this vampires tend to live kinda long and are kinda smart through intergreating far more brain cells in theyr brains then ordinary humans.
    due to theyr lightblue eyes they can easily be identified wich normaly causes them to sleep in daytime, and hunt in the night when theyr prey is sleeping or isloated.
    so the vampires are being hunted for obviosly being evil -you know they kill people- and most of them are killed before they are able to learn how to survive. so the remaining vampires hide in the darkness, unable to organize themselves. they strive from town to town fleeing the inquisition, leaving a trail of dead bodies behind them.

but the dude im modeling is different.
    he is kinda young for a vampire, but what makes him different is that he does not fear oposing his enemys. he is confident in his power. he walks in daytime. he is sort of the messiah of the vampires.

hope this is what you asked for, if not anyway you know the vampire-bg-story now^^
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    sooo he should be done sculting by now.
    well i wont finish him today. got school tomorrow
    anyways here are the shots, only hand- and leg armor are not done yet, should be np to get em done tomorrow and make the retopo.
    hpscreen7.png
    hpscreen8.png
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    This is really shaping up. Only crit that I can think of off the top of my head is that his thighs seem a bit short. Cant wait to see the armor fully detailed.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    thx :)
    so gues hes done now. the fingerarmor is gonna be duplicated few times to cover his hands, but im gonna do that in max together with the retopo.

heres the turntable, highes quality i could get out of that.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pNPKcXfxeA[/ame]
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, good work so far, tho i have some crits about his under arm region: the ribs are way too prominent and continue too far down his body, also the serratus muscles that intersect the ribs should be less prominent and softer, and they should both kind of tuck under the lats. from the looks of it, the neck could also use some anatomical attention, i would have a look at some more reference, and maybe re-address some of these regions
    get-rid-of-love-handles-male-defined-abs-1-475.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    ye you got me there :)
    although actualy i kinda like the over exaggerated ribs, you know makes him bit less "totaly human".
    but with the seratus im totaly with you, hes way to prominent and too long. gues ill start baking and if he still looks too prominent after that, ill definetly change that.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    uch, so hes not 100% done but ready to show of.
    render22.png
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    looking fantabulous!

polish it to the max!!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makes me want to play some soul reaver
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    @dogzer
    thx :D getting to it
    @achillesian
    yeah it was not intendet, but somehow it always gets through to me. just loved the artstyle of that game

so here is the final product, maby ill do some animations too
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBpUxgrqilE[/ame]
    render7.png
    render6q.png
    render3.png
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great :) Nice pose on the turntable, looks like he's moving a bit when it turns round his back. I think you forgot his nips though.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    lol no nipples on tv :P
    dunno i think i need to make me an alpha so i dont have to do them by hand...
    btw some blendshape here. also animation incoming, but earliest in 1 week, got lot of rl stuff to do.
    renderfaceexpr1.png