Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

District 9 weapon 1

Aha! Love the film so much, I wanted to make a weapon from it with Max/zbrush for texture. Post pain in photoshop. This is an older model, didnt finish it before but decided to stop being lazy and finalize it.
district9c2.jpg

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    good modeling but for the texture i would go for less dirt and grunge, or at least make the dirt and grunge make more sense, and also push your specular and gloss map a bit more to get better material definition.

to me it just seems like the grunge and damage are everywhere, when in reality it would be happening around crevices, and where the weapon is handled., maybe you could try masking the grunge with AO?
  • AjdinBarucija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks glad you like. Good advice indeed. "to me it just seems like the grunge and damage are everywhere". very true, this is because I do not want a clean or semi clean model.
    Raher something that has seen a lot of action, been ravaged by different types of weather.
    In a game also all of this detail would be needed as you never see your weapon on the side like this. But from the back.
    My advice to you also is even before the start of texturing a model. Think of how old it is, what type of weather conditions has it been threw and its outcome on the model. For me this model is in the age scale of 40 to 50 years old.

Man I always give such long replies -___-
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya some work on material definition would take it pretty far, just logically think of what all the differnt materials are and what effect they would all have on spec and gloss maps.

also try to get a good light setup, and a good real-time shader like the Xoliul or the 3point viewport shaders to better show this thing off
  • AjdinBarucija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I didnt know about the Xoliul. I normaly use vray to render or mental ray, still learning how to use realtime.