Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Portfolio) Nicholas Melendez Character Artist

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
alpha_327 polycounter lvl 9
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on the polycount forums, but I come here often. I just graduated Full Sail University in the Game Art Bachelor of Science degree program. I am now participating in the all important job search. So here is my portfolio feel free to critique, and I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say and improving.

http://www.nickmelendez.com/

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Congrats on finishing school.

"Gallery" and "Portfolio" sound like they should be the same thing. In "gallery" the thumbnails are kind of misleading because it makes me think that what's shown is the only thing in each link so it looks like you have less work than you really have (and there was a soldier model in your reel that isn't in your gallery?). Personally I'd like to see an html text version of your resum
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some things I noticed is that your eye modeling could use some improvement, also I find RJD2 isn't the right type of music for a demo reel. It's just he is way too catchy. You want the employer to watch the work not get distracted by the music
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh, congrats on the degree ^^

The site isn't the most user friendly, Portfolio and Gallery is usually considered the same thing, I momentarily wondered if there was more than the reel. Personally I would start of with the gallery as front page, have your art be immediately on display to get the recruiter's attention.

And put your contact info everywhere, seems like it's only in your reel?!

You've got some environment art in there, so I would take that out. If you want to be a character artist show that this is your focus. Also take out WIP, you should only show finished art.

gl!
  • alpha_327
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alpha_327 polycounter lvl 9
    thank you everyone for the critiques they are very helpful, I will be working on changing the gallery to the front page and making the thumbnails make more sense. As for the soldier I took out the gallery that he was in and i needed to put his images back, this all happened yesterday, so within the next few days my site will have all the changes, thanks everyone.