Home Unreal Engine

How can i make UDK run faster?

so, I've been working on a big project the last few months. And i'm now at the stage of putting everything in UDK, lighting it, etc... But my problem is that it runs so so so slooww (moving around, selecting things) so my question is what can i do to make it run faster? i read somewhere that you can turn off or turn down anti-aliasing, but unfortunately i cant find in udk where to do that. also are there anyway other ways besides that to make it efficiently run smother?

Thanks so so much :)

my computer specs are

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

CPU Speed: 2.0 GHz

RAM: 2 GB

Video Card: GeForce 9400 GT

Replies

• longhornfan25
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    I think your computer is just falling short of some much needed processing help in all areas - cpu, ram, and the video card. I know that doesn't help unless you go out and buy all new stuff. I'm no expert but maybe your best performance boost would be a better video card. I recently upgraded to an nvidia 460 gtx for fairly cheap and it works quite well.
    Next easy upgrade would be more ram -If your motherboard supports more ram.

lastly, what version of windows are you running? I know with vista and 7, if you disable windows aero display, it will boost performance.
  • longhornfan25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vista, and thanks ill try disableing aero.

but do yall know how to turn down anti-aliasing in udk?

Thanks alot for you're help :)
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, even on my beast machine UDK still lags pretty good.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Your comp is very underpowered to be running UDK, especially the video card. If you cant afford new parts maybe try building your scene in the UT3 version of UE3 (which runs MUCH faster) and then import it over to UDK when you start doing the lighting and effects.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Take a look at the recommended specs by Epic:

Windows 7 64-bit
    2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
    8 GB System RAM
    NVIDIA 8000 series or higher graphics card
    Plenty of HDD space

http://www.udk.com/download

You could revert to some optimization software and tune down the beast that is Vista.

Something like CCleaner and TuneUp utillities.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was having this exact problem, and what fixed it for me was reverting to an older version of UDK. Switched from the current one to 6383 (August 2010) and it ran much smoother on my machine... just something to try, as long as you don't need any features that have come out in the last few months.
  • Camikaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chandler wrote: »
    I was having this exact problem, and what fixed it for me was reverting to an older version of UDK. Switched from the current one to 6383 (August 2010) and it ran much smoother on my machine... just something to try, as long as you don't need any features that have come out in the last few months.

Keep in mind that you can't open packages created in UDK with an earlier version - this might not be a viable solution if he's already started to bring everything into Unreal.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Did you run the profiler?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    yeah I also have a problem with horrible fps or what will you in udk
    got 4gig ram on the laptop I'm using at home (ain't got a stationary)

horrible really.
    I'm not even into udk for all the post processing filters and all that jazz that is turned on by default.
    I just want to use udk to get to matinee basically.
    checked preferences both in the editor and looked for any kind of options in the example game. there are no graphic options, to my knowledge. just let me turn everything to LOW and let me load up some animations damn you!

did find some sort of post processing checkboxes in a menu though.
    turning off most of that shit got performance up, as expected. but it doesn't really save those settings, and reverts to bloom and what not of epicness when you boot it up again.

December 2015 update might add some graphics settings?

I'll try the profiler, whatever that is, as soon as I get home! sounds promising.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    You can try and free up resources using GBoost (http://www.gzero.com/gboost/home.html), which disables services and the like.