Home General Discussion

Game Art School. Need help choosing!

Replies

• Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm at Parsons the New School for Design in New York City.

For games, you'd probably go into "Design and Technology" (my department!) and take some of the fine arts stuff (or anything you want, really -- Spanish, sculpting, architecture, printmaking, fashion, whatever) to strengthen your study.

Your modeling skills look to be better than any Maya class here can cover. (Here it's more geared for new people coming into special effects industry.) Though there are a few specialized classes like motion capture and human character modeling, and those have games focuses.

So you'd probably mostly be doing a lot of foundational fine arts stuff instead, learn some code, learn some hardware / physical computing, get exposed to A LOT of art, etc. (All of which would be good for you?)

NYU has a good games dev program too, though more generalist and less game art. They definitely have a lot more resources for you though.

ANYWAY... New York has a pretty good game dev scene + you'll definitely have a lot of fun here, and the networking will give you the flexibility to get out of the games industry when you want to (maybe you'll get burnt out and want to leave after 5 years, like a lot of people?)

Don't just think about your career, also think about keeping your options open and what should inspire you... an international city with an amazing art scene, or a boring vocational school in some sleepy suburb?
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    is that conceptart.org? Ah i feel more lost now than i did when i was looking at game art schools. Are the state school fine art programs as good as private fine art programs?
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    Ive been talking to mike carlyle and he recommended Guildhall at SMU - http://www.guildhall.smu.edu

I was just wondering if any one else had opinions of this school or any other possible fine art or game art schools in the texas area. I know there is alot of game companies in the area. Thanks guys so far for the feed back and support!
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    dont mind me. im just a sponge absorbing the vast amount of knowledge in this thread.(not being sarcastic) :)
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    I go to full sail and they teach maya, i went to UAT in AZ for a year and that was a waste, i had been modeling for about 3 years or so learning on my own and people helping here and there, ive been at full sail about a year and a half and ive learned quite a bit, there are places they need to improve but that's everywhere, with your current skills you wont really learn a whole lot in modeling for a few months, but you'll still learn quick tips from some of the modeling classes, they have all sorts of great instructors so if there's more you want to learn the instructors are always willing to meet with you outside of class and teach you all sorts of things, im a teachers assistant for the head of the modeling department and he has already gotten me contracted jobs and everything, its sort of expensive and if you already have a good laptop tell them you dont want the macbook pro and youll get a cheaper tuition but it's a great school, even though they do cram 4 years into 21 months its still great, if you can take a tour of the campus and if you really really wanna get into the grit of it, let me know when you'll be there and ill meet you in the lobby of the main building and take you around and let you meet some people and get a good idea of what the skillsets are and everything, it all really boils down to what you do on your own time outside of school though, that's with anywhere, companies look at what you've done on your own and with teams outside of classes, school work is just showing you know how to regurgitate information, either way it's a great school, good luck in your search