cesar11
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
cesar11 polycounter lvl 8

Replies

• Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In what platform you'll release that model? PSP? 3DS? NGP (Vita)? PS3, PC (as RTS/MMORPG enemy)? Consider those consoles for your polycount and texture size.

I'm sure PSP's max texture size is at 128x128, DS has alleged max texture size of 2048 x 2048, but most DS games utilize lower texture size.

In "assigning" meshes to appropriate textures, mark your edges with seams so that you can organize your UV map.
  • cesar11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    You could double your texture efficiency by mirroring your entire character considering the textures are perfectly symmetrical. You don't have any variation so you are essentially wasting half of your texture space for nothing.

You also have a lot of negative space in your uvs that could easily be filled if you rotated some things.

If you were wise about the textures I bet you could get it on a 256 and it look the same.

Cheers! :)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your texture looks pretty well painted but you need to lay out your UVs more efficiently, not just the fact that you didn't utilize symmetry but by the fact that you have way too much wasted space.

Not sure what you were asking in regards to texture maps but the polycount wiki is a wealth of info http://wiki.polycount.com/

I'm sure PSP's max texture size is at 128x128, DS has alleged max texture size of 2048 x 2048, but most DS games utilize lower texture size.
    The PSP's max texture size is definitely higher than 128x128, but max texture size is really misleading because the reason handhelds support high texture resolutions is because they're meant to be used with a texture atlas.

The ideal resolution of your texture is always best determined by figuring out how big your object is going to be on screen and planning your texture accordingly.
  • cesar11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message