Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DragonZord Model

LightningShard5
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
LightningShard5 polycounter lvl 8
I've been working on this model for far too long and have finally finished it. I'm content with how it came out, but compared to most of the content on this site, it's pretty sub-par. Still, I learned a lot while making it and am interested in some critique to help me improve with future models.

dragonzordrendersheet.png

Replies

• Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    It looks pretty close to the references I've seen of it
    More helpful to the critiquing process is a breakdown of the model.
    Post shots of the models wireframes, so that we know how you're efficiently you're using your polygons.
    Post close ups of area's of interest or trouble spots you may have questions about. And post the texture sheets as well so that we can give tips on uv layout and texture creation.
  • LightningShard5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let the break down begin.

dragonzordrendersheetwi.pngtexturesheet.png
  • LightningShard5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream wrote: »
    It looks pretty close to the references I've seen of it
    More helpful to the critiquing process is a breakdown of the model.
    Post shots of the models wireframes, so that we know how you're efficiently you're using your polygons.
    Post close ups of area's of interest or trouble spots you may have questions about. And post the texture sheets as well so that we can give tips on uv layout and texture creation.

Well, I don't think I have many trouble spots left since I researched every time there was a problem. The only issue left is that the on the metal isn't quite what I would like it to be, but I think that would require use of more advanced shaders, which I am just not as far into learning yet. Thanks for the advice though.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah awesome....I've always had the thought in the back of my head that doing the megazords would be cool.

Your modeling looks fine, I think his eyes are a little off the mark though. I think your materials could use some work. The metal doesn't really look like metal.

It looks like you didn't put any thought into your spec. Desaturating your diffuse and bumping contrast doesn't really cut it. For instance, why does the yellow shoulder blades have a higher spec than the any other metal? It really should be close to the same.

Also, your lighting isn't helping either. Does he have any lights that are directly in front of him? Try to get some nice specular highlights on the chest plate and the legs, similar to this image:

dragonzord-demotivation-demotivate-demotivational-power-rang-demotivational-poster-1217961289.jpg
    IMO it will help your materials read better, and also fix the fact that just looks mostly evenly lit.

This is looking pretty sweet, I hope you improve it and make it look even better!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you've done a great reproduction, but any chance we could get some larger images?
  • LightningShard5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    Hahah awesome....I've always had the thought in the back of my head that doing the megazords would be cool.

Your modeling looks fine, I think his eyes are a little off the mark though. I think your materials could use some work. The metal doesn't really look like metal.

It looks like you didn't put any thought into your spec. Desaturating your diffuse and bumping contrast doesn't really cut it. For instance, why does the yellow shoulder blades have a higher spec than the any other metal? It really should be close to the same.

Also, your lighting isn't helping either. Does he have any lights that are directly in front of him? Try to get some nice specular highlights on the chest plate and the legs, similar to this image:

IMO it will help your materials read better, and also fix the fact that just looks mostly evenly lit.

This is looking pretty sweet, I hope you improve it and make it look even better!

Thanks for the advice, it's very similar to what I've heard from my friends. The problem is that I put a lot of time and effort into my spec, but I guess it doesn't show. I just can't seem to get the spec to portray a metal quality. Any advice on that? Sadly (and noob-ish on my part) I'm not sure what IMO means. As for the other things that you mentioned, the golden parts of the model are suppose to shine brighter than the rest (just me taking liberties there) and the model IS evenly lit. I need work with lighting. As set ups you suggest? Thanks for your help.
  • LightningShard5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little better I hope.

renderset2.png