Home Unreal Engine

UDK light behaving badly...

Hi!

I just started to learn UDK and after watching a looooooot of tutorial videos i started to build my own level. Well I crashed in to a wall pretty fast :(

Problem:

I try to build a fluorescent light (or spotlight, same problem with that) in the corner where ceiling and wall meets. I have a lowered middle part of the ceiling so that it creates a small recess to the enges of the ceiling for the lights. Problem is that the light doesn't seem to light the walls brightly near the light like in real life. I can only get the lightmass, not the "direct" light at all.

Camera positioned so that you can see the actual light fixture:

lightvisible.jpg

Camera positioned so that you van't see the light (there should be a lot of bright light on the wall near the light and the light should cast a diagonal shadow to the end wall):

lightbehind.jpg

Here is a quick mockup of what I'm trying to archieve:

lightmockup.jpg

ps. Love the forum and have learned so much already! :D

Replies

• Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    If you want sharp shadows, why do you have "shadow indirect only" checked? Also leave the light falloff exponent at the default value for starters.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    id suggest a directional light for that.
  • marcoboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance wrote: »
    If you want sharp shadows, why do you have "shadow indirect only" checked? Also leave the light falloff exponent at the default value for starters.

When I set "shadow indirect only" off the scene seemed to lost all the light. Everything went black. enabling that seemed to be the only way to light the scene. Maybe the walls / ceiling is too close to the light? Moving the light doesn't seem to affect it that much...
  • marcoboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »

True! Maybe that would help... If I position a directional light towards the room, would it still light the wall? or do need to use two lights (one positioned towards the room and one towards the wall)? (don't have the ability to test things right now).
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »

Directional light source is infinitely far away, it wouldn't work here. Spotlight might work better ;)
  • marcoboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Directional light source is infinitely far away, it wouldn't work here. Spotlight might work better ;)

ok, is there way to "stretch" spotlight to behave like fuorescent light? Doesn't sound like something a spotlight would do.... :( Maybe place spotlights side by side and adjusting falloffs so that it seems to be a one long light?
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been experimenting with this and I think your mesh is the problem. Try adding more loops along the length axis of the light, because I too was unable to get that kind of lighting with one big cylinder that I just scaled up. But when I swapped that one big cylinder for several smaller ones, I got that kind of lighting what you want.
    Also is your room static mesh properly unwrapped for the lightmaps?

Edit: Also emissive BSP surfaces seem to work better on my end.
    vzhIf.jpg
  • marcoboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been experimenting with this and I think your mesh is the problem. Try adding more loops along the length axis of the light, because I too was unable to get that kind of lighting with one big cylinder that I just scaled up. But when I swapped that one big cylinder for several smaller ones, I got that kind of lighting what you want.
    Also is your room static mesh properly unwrapped for the lightmaps?

Edit: Also emissive BSP surfaces seem to work better on my end.

WOOW! Seems to work. Now I only need to learn how to do that :D Thank you so much! I knew there was a way.