Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[A Boring Thread] Building in Cincinnati

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
Working on this building in Cincinnati for my portfolio

finalfridayat4ufashionb.jpg

I have a good chunk of the building done and it's very modular, but it's kinda hard to show until it's all placed together. Going to stick it in UDK, just finished this ornament that goes between the trims in the squares
ornament1.png

Crit's welcome always!

Replies

• Cooljay
    Nice detail on this, hope there is high res texture detail too :D
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Nice selection! looks great!
  • DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments! I appreciate the support so much! I do plan on making the texture detail high res and then lowering it for the final product as all of these trim pieces will be port pieces as well.

Finished up the half-sphere that is duplicated within the columns on the third floor! Crit's welcome
    ornament2.png
  • DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest Pieces, on the side of the building above a door -
    sidedoordeco1.jpg
    Corner of the same piece
    sidedoordeco2.png
    My best reference courtesy of google maps, I tried my best to make something similar without having better ref's
    buildingref5.jpg
    Wanted to show my building before I got too far into this, any scale problems *might* be addressed, but nitpickyness *may* be ignored :P
    building2j.jpg
    Wires are kinda pointless since it's currently the high poly only, and the low poly pieces were just for blockout purposes and may require a little reworking, but I might as well throw them up anyways
    building1.jpg

Comments welcome and wanted! Thanks for lookin!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Try using stencils, lazymouse, and masks when you sculpt things like ornate details. Your designs are great but the sculpts look a little shaky. It may not matter than much once you bake them down and texture. It just sticks out with them up close.
  • DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried keeping them looking smooth, I did indeed hand sculpt everything but didn't want to go overboard with alphas. I don't know anything about stencils yet, guess I need to learn about that. And for lazymouse it can be tough while using a tablet, but I do need these to look nice on their own as presentation pieces, thanks for the comments, I'll see if I can clean them up further.
  • DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message
    Big Update! [Image Heavy]

After taking a look at my designs due to Jeffro's suggestion, with fresh eyes I saw exactly what he meant. I took a crack at fixing it up and I couldn't really start over since I did everything by hand sculpting. Anyways here is the reworked version, hope it looks better to you guys as well.

I also took the time to learn about stencils, very cool, can't wait to have a chance to put them to good use.

sidedoordeco2redo.png
    sidedoordecoredo.png

I also finished up all of the high poly pieces for my building and am ready to start on the low, wanted to pimp what I've done so far.

buildinghp1.png

brickshp1.png

brickshp2.png

Morter for the bricks
    mortarhp1.png

hp1h.png

topmedallionhp1.png

spadehp1.png

garlandhp1.png
  • DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message