Home Technical Talk

modeling race tracks (futuristic)

I'm modeling futuristic race tracks in 3ds max and having some difficulties with banked/curved sections. The track itself is flat, with some side walls that go up 25 degrees (this is the shape I've been using to loft or extrude to make the track).

Problem is having a right turn that starts at 0 degrees and then banks to one side by 22.5 degrees at the end of the turn AND the inner edge must stay flat on the ground. I'm doing it all by hand (manually rotating each spline increments from 0 - 22.5).

Question is, is there any plugins that can do this? Currently I take the spline, duplicate it in sub-object mode 5 times, turn/rotate it as needed then put a CrossSection --> Surface --> TurnToPoly --> done. While it's not the hardest thing, plenty of people have worked on racing games and I'm sure someone simplified this.

Thanks.

Replies

• heavyness
    Thanks, I was using FFD to move it around a bit. But I was hoping for a script that speeds up the process. Something where you just typed in what you wanted (90 left turn, bank up to 45 degrees, etc...)
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1194089

It's a good thread I started time ago with the same exact topic, futuristic tracks. Sure it will help you. There are some nice images too.

Talking about banking, are you using a Loft to extrude the track? If not, do it, it's the best way to make roads imho. After you have the Loft, at the very bottom of its properties there should be a Deformation tab with a Twist option. It's a graph, you can add and move points to specify the banking degree at certain points of yor track/spline.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Im not exactly sure what your problem is, do you have a picture?

if you are just looking to add banking to corners then use a compound object-> loft.
    there is a deformations panel with a twist adjustment- you will need to add some points to the graph to get control where the twist occurs. If what you are looking for is the profile of the track surface to be a different shape in the corners you can hit 'get shape' again, and then move it along the track into place.
  • heavyness
    Thank guys and I will check out that thread Mr_Drayton (surprised I didn't find it doing a search).

My main problem is the end of the turn isn't the exact same shape as the beginning. So while I can use a loft and pick a new shape for the end, I still have to make the end shape (the inner part of the turn stays leveled with the ground while the outside banks up).

The problem is I'm also modeling the surrounding areas for the track WITH the track (where art assets will go and block the player from seeing the rest of the track). This is where my problem is and I'm guessing I'm in a special edge case because that is how the dev wants it setup. Some simple hand tweaking will probably be in order.

Thanks a lot.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    That problem about the inner part of the corner being leveled to the ground, and the outer one being lifted, is really simple to solve.
    Check the section spline of your racetrack, and notice where the pivot is. Probably it's not centered, and this is causing an imprecise banking. After you center the pivot to the shape's center, the track will bank perfectly. ;)

Sorry but I can't take explanatory screenshots, since I used 3DS Max until I changed my PC for a Mac (and 3DS is Windows-only, screw that).