Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Michael Millan - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Dragonofpeace1985 polycounter lvl 13
Hello everyone,

I've updated my website a little while ago and got rid a lot of work that I feel don't represent my skills. I just felt that I should post and get some help to increase my chances of getting a future job just in case. ;) Currently, I'm working at Pitchblack Games on a Sci-fi MMOrpg called Prime: Battle for Dominus.
Thank you guys and appreciate your help.

www.michaelmillan.com

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you looking for crits on the website or the work?

Only thing that bothered me is that i would like a bigger picture when i click the image thumbnail. Other than that you got some sweet stuff there. Layout is good and easy to read and the presentation is really good.
  • CaSToRx7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaSToRx7 polycounter lvl 7
    great stuff you got there! I like the last piece the best. Definitely diggin the style. Keep it up
  • Dragonofpeace1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any crits would be awesome guys. "Open the flood gates!"

@Viscerl: Yeah, I agree.. I'll check if I have a larger image.

@Castorx7: Thanks, I'm glad and I will keep it up.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    website's great, work wise, your UC entry looks great, the other stuff not as impressive. that robotic wall piece doesn't look as good as your other work, and seems to have a lot of your website real estate dedicated to it.

I'd add more images of the UC entry from different angles and definately try and get larger images, they're a bit hard to see.

Looks nice so far, I wish i could make a nice clean website like that
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    The site is laid out pretty well where it is easy and quick to go though. There are three things here that I think are hurting you.

1. The "Hallway" render I think is doing more harm then good. It is really burly and hard to make out what is actually going on there.

2. Although the Halo generator is probably a good piece it is also a Art test. Generally I suggest staying away from putting art tests on your portfolio especially if it didn't get you the job. It is like saying "Hey I failed at this...everyone look".

3. Overall I find your portfolio lacking substance. I don't believe that there is enough there to get a since of what kind of artist you are. UC2009 was almost 2 years ago, it's time to put up some new stuff.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 wrote: »

2. Although the Halo generator is probably a good piece it is also a Art test. Generally I suggest staying away from putting art tests on your portfolio especially if it didn't get you the job. It is like saying "Hey I failed at this...everyone look".

I'd have to disagree here.

Good art is good art, and failing an art test doesn't mean you actually failed in any sense of the word. It means that your style doesn't match what the hiring manager had in mind, typically.

Normally in Halo, objects like that generator are pretty clean. You just don't see rusted, really scuffed up metal like that in any of the Halo games.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I REALLY don't like how each click pops up a new window for the images. Some of the pop-up images were barely any different in size. The Hallway and Robotic Wall Piece is a big offender of this. The popup for it didn't even show me more images and the image size was barely bigger.

I like your UC entry, although it would be nice to have a blurb about what you contributed to each scene.

I think overall your work is good you need something done recently. A small environment that you do all by yourself would be a great addition.

I'm split between keeping or getting rid of the Halo test. On one hand, yes you finished it and it looks decent. The other hand, you didn't get hired because of it. If you keep it, perhaps get rid of anything that says it was part of a Halo test and just display it as a "propane generator"

Possibly get rid of the 2009 (c) so there isn't this obvious gap in folio work posted :)
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rainbow Star Girl likes this.

Man! Lyra's last environment was badass! what r u feeding that girl:)
  • Dragonofpeace1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ mr_ace: Thank you for your crits. Yeah, I understand what you mean about the wall robotic. Once I have more work to put up, I'll remove Wall Robotic from my site and that goes with the Hallway too. I'll see if I still have my Unearthly file and I'll render out larger but as far as the ange, I've arrange the assets for the 2 beauty shots which was required for the contest. You too can make awesome websites. This is my third time that I had completely redone it from scratch.

@ Orgoth02: Thank you for the crits. I'll will definitly get rid of those art test
    and work that doesn't showcase my skills and replace it with new environment work that does. I see what you mean about the art test, people who succeeded and receive employment should post it on their website. Sounds good to me.

@ RexM: I understand what you're saying but I wouldn't want to see a whole portfolio of art test even if its good art. I just can't wait to get some free time and start making some art.

@ Alexk: I would like to hear more complaints about the popup windows before I change it. Since I'll be removing Hallway and the Robotic Wall piece, It'll get rid of those offenders. As far as the UC entry, there's the blue - red image that shows who did what. I was the team lead which I did all the set dressing. Maybe, I should have a little description that describe just that.

@ ProfessorXXX: I'm glad that Rainbow Star Girl like this. Well ProfessorXXX, Mentor, you got me where I am at today, and I have delivered those teachings to my fiancee and plus the knowledge I've gather from my experience. Of course, I've seen her scene, she destroyed her classmates and she will continue doing so. ;D

Overall: Thanks for all you guys for the crits, I appreciate it.