Hey, we need a maya scripts thread on this.
I'm gonna start pointing out some cool ones I use:
- Go from Maya to photoshop - great way to texture your model without having too much exporting and importing.http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/marketplace/scripts-plugins/c/gop-maya-to-photoshop-script
- UV Ninja
- Great tool that adds tons of uv functions many people don't know in Maya and it's all on it's interface, $20 bucks tho.http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/marketplace/scripts-plugins/texturing/c/ninja-uv--2
- Same thing as in Max, kills history and detach a mesh without leaving history and group trash, it simply duplicates the mesh and deletes the inverted faces. (i think)http://www.creativecrash.com/3dsmax/downloads/modeling/splines/c/detachseparate-mel
- FB combine
- (from Chris Whitaker aka Funky Bunnies) - this is a simple script, but a life safer. It's a toggle for combining and separate meshes without losing pivots AND without leaving trash/history/groups.http://www.funkybunnies3d.com/tools.php
- It creates some worn edges (cavity) on the vertex colors in maya, and you can bake that to texture later and create masks, etc. Pretty handy.http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/texturing/c/cgx_wornedges
- Nmap Based baking AO
- I don't use this as much, but I thought it could be useful for some people.http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/texturing/c/normal-map-based-baking-tool-version-1-0-for-ao
- spPaint 3d
- I use this guy all the time, paint meshes everywhere, random scale, rotation, and other settings by instancing, or just duplicating. Extremely useful for env. artists out there.http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/marketplace/scripts-plugins/c/sppaint3d
- Batch change attributes
- The name says it allhttp://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/c/batch-change-attributes
- fRay Boolean Master
- Had to use this once, it lets u keep boolean many objects without loseing history.http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/marketplace/scripts-plugins/utility-external/misc/c/fray-boolean-master
If you have HANDY scripts that you use on your daily basis, please share! I'll be updating the list here too.
Anyway, here's a few more :
FileTextureManager - For fixing texture paths. Also can automatically copy/paste textures into new locations. Consolidate all those outsourced models and textures into your file structure with a single button click
XyShrinkWrap - Topology helper. Will shrink wrap one mesh or selected components to another.
oaRelaxVerts - Relaxes a mesh while maintaining its original volume, unlike standard relax. Helpful when preparing a mesh for sculpting.
MopKnit - Unfolds a mesh flat according to its UVs, and adds blendshape controls. Great to use as a wrap deformer for complex meshes such as chainmail. Adapted by our very own Mop from the Max script SlideKnit.
MopRenderableCurve - Another one from Mop, generates polygon geometry from curves. Very useful, and simpler to use than the Maya paint effects UI.
Extended Duplicate - Create complex geometry along a curve. Demonstrated by SlipgateCentral in his "making of Nox" videos. Much nicer to use than motion paths/flow paths.
the OpenMaya Toolbox is a collection of useful modeling tools complementing those already in Maya.
its an oldie but still works.
I was trying to install this but I didn't understand the help .txt that comes along with it. Here are the instructions:
Can anyone give a more in-depth explanation of how to install this? To me, the instructions are very vague. I haven't used Maya plug-in's before. Thanks guys! :]
Same applies to userSetup.mel
If you don't do that, you are going to lose some settings of your previous setup.
I realized I was using an older version so I installed version 0.6.1. the directions should be the same for win7 and xp/vista but you have the new users root directory in win7. here is how you do it.
1)open 2 browsers so you can move files. open one to OMT files. the other to your C: \Users\"your user name"\Documents\maya\2012-x64 dir. this will have your version of maya in the folder name not necessarily 2012. in that dir you should see a prefs dir, scripts dir and a Maya.env file maybe some other folders.
2) now that you have these folders open copy the pyScripts dir into your maya prefs folder. copy all the files in the scripts folder to your maya prefs scripts folder. copy all the icons in the icons folder to your maya prefs ...\prefs\icons folder.
3)open the Maya.env from OMT in a text editor and copy and paste that into your maya prefs dir Maya.env file.
now you need to edit the 2 lines to point to the full path of your local maya scripts folders. so the 2 lines end up looking somthing like this
MAYA_SCRIPTS_PATH = C: \Users\"your user name"\Documents\maya\2012-x64\scripts
PYTHONPATH = C: \Users\"your user name"\Documents\maya\2012-x64\pyScripts
save the file and start maya. you should see a new menu at the top that says OMToolbox.
the important part is to make sure that the Maya.env has the correct full path to the files. if that is not correct then nothing will work.
also 0.6.1 does not have docs. 0.5.1 has docs and even videos that show each tool and the key combos to use looks like a few of the tools changed tho. you can download the docs here http://sourceforge.net/projects/omtoolbox/files/omtoolbox/0.5/
Then there is an other great UV tools i use is Castor lee's "APU". It's conected with roadkill, the old one. I don't use that at all.. But there is some features in there that's great!
Prefer this for UV tools, although allot of what other tools do I have bound to keys anyway (I do allot of Uv unwrapping and baking here).
Yes, bonus tools is a must have.
Saves so much time instead of juggling through the editors.
i'm using maya 2012 64bit and i cant get oarelaxverts to work. tried eveything. or is it a 32bit only script?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBVLXAgDyKM"]130 scripts pack. QUICK OVERVIEW OF MOST INTRESTED SCRIPTS. For Maya from Deniseich. - YouTube[/ame]
This man is a hero. Tons of fixes/autmations for the little things and some new toys.
Auto sets tumble pivot to selection. In other words the camera rotation with Alt + LMB will automatically be set to pivot around new selections.
Mel script. Only tested in Maya 2014 & 2015.
Better Collapse Faces:
Contiguous face selections independently collapsed to their center.
Works exactly the same as if you ran Merge Faces To Center individually on each separate group of face selection(s).
Mel script for Maya 2014 & 2015
1. Prevents move, scale, and rotate tools from blocking RMB object marking menu.
2. Completes following tools with RMB click:
a. Create Polygon Tool
b. Append To Polygon Tool
c. Insert Edge Loop Tool (when auto complete is off)
Mel script for Maya 2014 & 2015
buildObjectMenuItemsNow Mod Download
Simple instructions for all scripts in their downloads.
If anyone has some useful scripts that can easy up the hard-surface modeling workflow or anything else please share,here are a few ones that I've found on Shon Mitchell's blog :
Wired : A script that let's you create pipes from any selected curves.Very fast.
GetBent : Y'all probably know this plugin,really awesome tool to streamline your hard-surface bending process.
Passerby's Spherify tool : This script completely changed my workflow and i definitely recommend it to any Maya user out there
ZPipeMaker : Another awesome tool !
Toggle WOS : A small script to toggle on/off Wireframe On Shaded,really useful when you find yourself doing it many times while modeling :
Move/Rotate/Scale toggle : This script might be quite annoying when you start using it but by the time it really lets you toggle between these three tools very easily.Plus you have new fresh keyboard hotkeys to assign :poly142:
Wireframe Color : A quick and easy way to change your object's wireframe colors.Really love using this one
//A requests :
Is there a way i can replace all my edge to have the same distance separating them,like in here ?
One issue i have using Passerby's sSpherify is that i don't always get nice circula shapes when my geometry is a not very regular,so it would be a quick way to place all my vertices/edges automaticaly at the same distance
Edit : Here is a script that does what i want in Max
result = (point1_x, point1_y, point1_z) + (new_x, new_y, new_z) * ((point2_x, point2_y, point2_z) - (point1_x, point1_y, point1_z))
new_ should be an array of data. How you decide to take the first and last points and figure out what is between is up to you.
It lets you hide polygons! Plus you can't select them while hidden, very handy.
Dropbox Link for 2016.5.
Note: SAVE MAYA BEFORE USING! (Always a good sign...right?)
I made a mel script that converts almost any type of polygonal mesh animation to a blendshape.
This allows you to export things like MASH, deformer animation, and NCloth out from Maya into engines like Unity. Wow!
Made this with my co-worker and we've been using it for a few months now.
It needs testing so please test it!
We've thus far have used it for both mobile and PC products.
Things I'm aware of:
Both I and my artist co-worker are noobie script writers, so any suggestions would be amazing. I hope this helps anyone who is looking to get this type of effect in-game.
- Select the mesh that you've animated.
- The baker will make the inbetweens of your mesh from the start of the timeline to the end.
- The baker will spit out a blendshape mesh that has a blendshape node called "blendshape_geo".
- Rename and export your mesh!
You can double-click icons in the outliner to show that thing in the Attribute Editor. It also doesn't change your selection.
I'm happy to announce that the Maya Work Speed script is available for pre-order here https://gumroad.com/l/speedworkflow.
Speed workflow is a script for Maya that easily speeds up your workflow. With tons of tools, you can edits topology, make very fast high poly, use Automatic Uvs and more!
So I decided to change it and created a selections management panel for Maya.
It's free and can be downloaded here:
A shameless promo for my modelingtoolset -- KTModelingToolset
Extends Maya's modeling tools
With tools such as Angle selection, Face fill select, Quad Corner Connect, Quad End Connect, Bevel Vertex, Inset Face.... and much more...
@rkadich looks great. Is it still working in newer versions of Maya?