Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Tory Miles

Finally put this together...any critique is welcome!
I am also going to use this to practice and get faster at doing small props. Thanks in advance!

http://www.torymiles.com/

Here is the first prop I am starting to practice both speed and optimizing my work (I have been using stupidly large maps and polycounts).

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Hi and welcome to polycount! :)

You site is easy and straightforward to use. Though there is some stuff i would change. First of, the on/shuffle/next and what not is very confusing at first at dos not contribute at. Take them away!

Then i think you should rename your "traditional" to something like "Canvas" or "Oil". Traditional is so insignificant.

As for the 3D pieces i think you should place you environment at the top as i think this is your strongest piece as a whole.. It looks like a render? If you do want to branch to the game industry i think you should put that into UDK/cryengine/Marmoset.

I'm not a big fan of the background being black neither.

Maybe something like this?

ToryPaintover.jpg
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That hydrant looks exactly like the one created in Ben Tate's tutorial herehttp://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/model-a-detailed-high-poly-fire-hydrant-in-3ds-max/

Is that the case? If so you might want to consider removing it.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with sltrOlssen that the environment should be the first thing you see on your home page. Also, the beauty shot of the bike on the home page could really use a better lighting set up. Here's a nice resource on lighting: http://bensimonds.com/2010/06/03/lighting-tips-from-the-masters/

The blurred out lights in the upper right corner that lands behind the "lovely day" makes the link a little hard to read. I'd move the lights further to the right, or maybe to the lower right corner.

Nice traditional stuff!

Good luck, I hope this helps.
  • ToryM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! I am going to change this stuff around. My coding is so rusty...
    As for using the tutorial I did use Ben's technique for the spine snap at the beginning but only as far as the largest extruded pipe. It was most efficient. I also modeled the other two extrusions at a different height. I am not sure if this qualifies as taking his work because after that I just took it to zbrush:

Hydrant%20zbrusgh.jpg

This is tricky though as there are a lot of hydrants out there and i would rather it not be the first thing someone sees and thinks 'oh that was just that tutorial'. Especially if you saw it right off the bat.
    what do you guys think?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    same i like the environment better it should be the first thing. and your background for your renders should never be black!
    the hydrants..does not look like its from the tutorial..I wouldnt remove it..I created a similar hydrant from just pictures.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I think the hydrant looks nice, there are differences from the tutorial, but at the end of the day, its a fire hydrant. if you are going to show off props, I would try to have something memorable and a bit more complex.

There are hundreds of fire hydrants, crates, dumpsters etc out there, maybe make something that will help you stand out from the crowd. the execution and texture are nice though, although it looks super high res, in a game this would probably have a 256 texture on it with a lil 128 spec.

I agree with having the main enviro up top for sure, it could use a refined lighting/shader pass i think right now it looks like the lighting is really harsh and the shaders have that default spec value look across most surfaces. having some softer shadows/cooler ambient colors in there would help it a lot.

I would consider loosing the 2d section, nothing in there was really industry quality and makes it look like you are all over the place as an artist. the tradition section looks pretty nice, most of the work is impressionistic, and looks cool, but the 2d drawings lack refinement and proper sense of form/shading and is only hurting you.

my 1st impression of your site/skills was "not bad 3d, maybe not as much there as I would hope to see but shows promise, lets look at this 2d art and see wha......GEH!" not to sound like im ripping on you or anything but that's the impression i got, there was a lack of focus in the folio. what do you want to be, 3d artist, 2d artist, character artist, prop or enviro guy?

when visiting a portfolio site its always best to instantly be able to get a sense of what the person is amazing at, usually the best portfolios are focused on showcasing a specialized role, be it character artist, or environment artist etc. right now I think yours is too generalized and you should focus on making a couple wicked pieces of enviro art or props or something to flesh out the content a bit more. hope this makes some sense/helps a bit.
    cheers!
  • ToryM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey pixelmasher thanks for that!
    I am thinking of scrapping the whole 2d section. You are right! many of those drawings are throw-aways to fill up space and I see that a lot clearer now where before I though "eh throw em in".
    I have no perspective on my own stuff hah!

I wanted to keep the traditional up to show I had a little sense of color and light ect.
    My goal was to do environments and have only just focused on it in the last 4 months or so from being a generalist so all this critique is really helpful.

Another question about what to focus on... I find that environments take up a lot of time and have been told to do smaller stuff by a number of people but am getting the sense that complete environments are ideal to impress someone in a portfolio. What do you guys think you should work on? more complete environments or small props?
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    i think if you need something simialr to what Paul need. Great amount of small props w/ a unified theme - placed in a small env. and has AMAZING texturing and lighting = WIN WIN !
    http://paulsvoboda.net/HandPaintedPage.htm
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I think its a bad idea to have a site that sells you as a jack of all trades. U have paintings, digital sketches, and 3d art. I suggest you dedicate yourself to one specialization and have a portfolio for that. Companies arnt looking for someone who is good at everything. They're looking for someone who is amazing at one thing.

Also, your motorcycle is WAY WAY WAY too high poly. The LP shouldn't be higher than... 6-7000 tri's (not poly's).

U have some good stuff, but looking at your folio, im confused on what kind of artist you are.

Also, take the hydrant out, and a few of the not too good 2D sketches. Its too small and insignificant.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    What Mistry10 said, a small scene with maybe 5 medium props and 5 small props, good lightning and mood.. Just plain "a bunch of props" doesn't cut it. That's the feeling i've got..
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But Tory, serious question.
    Do u REALLY want to become an Environment Artist ?
    cause i remeber in college you loved making characters, and you need do that for amount 8 months or so. Cause i remeber just a few days ago u were making a bust...
    And your now been making Environments for the last 6 months...
    Its just that you've been doing both ( env / characters ) for a while now...
  • ToryM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good advice, all! Hiten: this is true. i got distracted and wanted an eviro break...
    Focus is important especially when there are so many shiny avenues within this type of work to distract you. No more of that though.:thumbup:
    working on a retro diner...small scene with just a few props.
    here's a cash register:
    cashforforum.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice looking HP model girl :)
  • ToryM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hiten!
    Okay so doing some lighting tests. mental ray daylight system...obviously in this image nothing is really finished at all except for the tiles...:

test%20render%20WPHOTOMETRIC%2010%20min%20render.jpg

I'm wondering if I should stop fiddling around with rendering and get this stuff into Unreal because I am spending a lot of time tweaking materials that look good in mental ray. I suppose if you want to do games then this is pretty useless. If anyone has any thoughts or old threads let me know.

Again, thanks for everyone's critique so far! Hoping to post more progress later tonight.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah jut make it look good in udk. Don't bother with mental ray.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    You have some excellent traditional skills and your portfolio seems to be following up on it nicely

The dinner seems to be coming along but I think it would be cool if you took one of your paintings and created a scene from it

just an idea keep it up
  • ToryM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!
    I started learning unreal!
    ... but I may hold off putting this next one into UDK due to being extremely overwhelmed with trying to make a dollar. Oh to be back in school...

Working on a new thing... one of the concept sketches:

SCIFI%20HALL1.jpg

the current progress:

light%203.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool Tory,
    I like how the pillars are made of multiple parts :)