Home General Discussion

Right.. time to draw!.. oh wait I can't

Okay, so how many of you cannot draw to save your life? Does it effect your 3D work in a noticeable way?
THEN! How many of you CAN draw to save your life but started out not being able to draw at all and does that increase your 3D skill?

My problem is that I have these ideas in my head but I cannot get them onto paper because.. well I cannot draw.

Replies

• skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I started out as a 3D artist only and didn't draw a whole lot. But I'll tell you what, when I started focusing on drawing and traditional artwork it greatly improved my 3D work and I wish I would have focused on it sooner.

Work on it, turn that weakness into a strength. It will make everything better.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I currently cannot draw, however am able to sculpt digitally and traditionally without any issues.

Have shit perspective and shading which makes drawing fairly difficult for me, would love to practice though!
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really depends on what your problem is. Drawing is a really broad subject but people always treat it like it's one thing.

If you can't draw in perspective, it won't matter because that shit gets solved for you in 3D.

If you can't render lighting or materials well, you'll probably be fine unless you have to hand paint textures in which case you'll be royally fucked.

If you can't design for shit, you'll probably be alright if you follow someone elses designs.

If you have a terrible sense of form or image composition, your work is going to suffer.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I cant really draw anything amazing, i know the basics of perspective and all that but have a hard time doodling anything amazing looking, super out of practice. I don't find it really effects my 3d work at all, most of the environments I have ever made were either based off a concept painted by a wicked 2d artist, or tons of reference photos provided by a lead.

I can see it being hugeley beneficial if working from little reference or concept to be able to sketch out designs and get ideas down on paper but for me I find it quicker to rough it out in 3d to get all the basic shapes/perspective and then just paintover it.

Now I have moved into a strictly lighting role, I find myself doing lighting paintovers a lot more and that just usually comes down to knowing good color theroy and hwo light works, rather than the acutal drawing ablility.

so I would say in a production capacity it doesn't really effect me at all, but I am sure if I had better 2d skills I would be a more rounded artist and probably more creative, but I have never really had a situation where I found myself thinking if I could draw better I would know how to produce better 3d.

I wouldn't expect spending a ton of time learning to draw would suddenly increase your 3d skills by 10x, doing more 3d studies and translating concept art to 3d as closely as possible would probably be more beneficial. it really comes down to studying composition, form and proportions, in 2d or 3d that will help you make more appealing art in general.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    You would be surprised to see how many people that can't draw in film/commercials/games. Most people I've met get surprised to see somebody be able to draw(well).
    If you are into characters and stuff you can always do quick sketches in zbrush.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments guys :)
    I think when I have the time I will just randomly start drawing something for practice but most of my time will be spent on 3D.. Also I think if I have an idea I will just get a whole bunch of different reference images and put them together in a scene.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Learn to draw. It will improve everything you do artistically.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Makkon wrote: »
    Learn to draw. It will improve everything you do artistically.

But I'm scared! =[
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Nekomata wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments guys :)
    I think when I have the time I will just randomly start drawing something for practice but most of my time will be spent on 3D.. Also I think if I have an idea I will just get a whole bunch of different reference images and put them together in a scene.

Once you understand the 3d tools 90% of the work is observation, the same as drawing. learning to draw and sketching will inform your work.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai wrote: »
    But I'm scared! =[

I feel your pain T-T
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I'll get all excited, try to draw an oval.. Fail miserably and run off to sulk while playing Ocarina of Time for the 3DS. :|

How many sulking incidents does it take to become pro?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    skip the sulking part. Words of wisdom from Adam Savage of the Mythbusters "Failure is always an option"

another quote I heard for creative endeavors "Fail early, fail often"
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    If you want to draw well, you need to dedicate too many hours, there is no magic or tricks :P. Practice is all.

If you are not very young, 20+ years, then... it will be more difficult but not impossible. Just practice and dedicate at least 4 HOURS a day, all the days for too many years!. STUDY, LEARN, and the most important thing... PRACTICE (the more, the better... so kill yourself with the pencil haha).

If at the end you can't stay more than 5 minutes... dude, then this is not something you like and that's the reason behind all :). We can't be good at something we dislike.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really need to get myself a tablet... By the way how much different is it to draw on a tablet than on paper?

I mean OBVIOUSLY it is different.. but how much?
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    You don't need a tablet to draw, just a pencil,pen and pad of paper. I have difficulty drawing/sketchin with a tablet because I'm so used to using a charcoal pencil/markers and a smooth newsprint pad and that's 1:1 versus a tablet.

That stuff doesn't have to be amazing, for a 3D artist, the idea is to be able to break it down into shapes and get perspective as it'll help you conceptualize more complicated meshes (at least in my opinion).
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, no, no.. I wasn't saying that I NEED a tablet for drawing/sketching was just saying that I need to get one.. It will help with sculpting in Zbrush and also stuff in Photoshop..

And yeah I guess it doesn't have to be amazing.. Just good enough to portray a vision.

EDIT: Unless of course you want to become a 2D artist
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    if you want to draw, paper all the way.

I would recommend you a led lightbox. It helps a lot for tracing and improving our skills :)
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allot of people say tracing is cheating though?

Unless you mean tracing your rough, chicken scratch work to smooth lines
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    traditional animators use lightboxes :), and it's the best way to draw a clean drawing with a good line art. You always can trace the same drawing and improve it.

It's one of the fastest ways to train our skills with a pencil.

BTW, tracing is not something all people can do very well, and more using paper of 100gr.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm.. well, I might look into building my own lightbox.. Also I can trace well xD

Honestly my drawing is not the worst in the world.. but It is not good enough to be usable.. I don't think I have talent for it.. but then again talent is just advanced practice ;)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    It still suprises me to hear that a lot of 3D artists don't draw. I cant imagine just jumping straight to 3D without understanding the basics of 2D. Then again when I started drawing 3D hadn't been invented.

Every good 3D teacher will tell you that you need to practice 2D as much as possible. Practising 2D feeds back into 3D and greatly improves all aspects of any artwork imo. Also being able to draw out concepts and ideas before jumping to modelling is a very important stage in developing ideas.

I don't do nearly as much 2D as I would like.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I try to draw when I have time.

I think it helps me quite a bit. It makes me think a little more. Since lighting, texture, colors, etc...have to be done by hand, it tends to make you think more, which can result in more creative 3d work.

Since I've been getting a little more comfortable with painting in photoshop, I've really learned to lean on photosourcing textures a lot less, since I can handpaint details.

Nothing wrong with using pen and paper, but I like using my tablet. If you are thinking about getting one anyways, it would be a good investment. Takes some getting used to though.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    I started out wanting to pursue a 3d games career then figured I should learn to draw and so gradually switched to illustration now im set on a traditional approach.
    I scraped the idea of university in place of studying at LARA, couldnt be more excited

http://www.drawpaintsculpt.com/
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm awful at drawing. And I have no will to attempt at getting better. I'm not trying to disagree with any veterans here, since I agree that knowing how to draw will fundamentally improve any other artistic abilities, but I think one can be a great 3D artist without being able to draw well. It's not about being able to physically make the marks, but rather understanding the concepts behind those marks. Form, perspective, color theory and all the stuff. And I don't want to take time to learn to draw in order to improve my 3D abilities, because I figure I could use that same time to simply practice 3D more, which will also improve my work.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I can draw a basic idea. I can draw "ok" if I spend hours pouring over it. But overall I'm probably not even a passable 2D artist. I still draw some when I get the time or the itch because I just find it fun. It's another artistic release that differs from 3D environments for me.

So don't be scared, just do it! (And show no one lol)
  • Mir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir polycounter lvl 6
    I just started to pratice my drawing skills and i suck big time so i know how you feel!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Don't try to find excuses or workarounds. Just do it, you need it (just like everybody else).

It's all up to you in the end : do you want to be an "assembly line" 3D artist blindly executing tasks in a below average way (and therefore getting less and less cool stuff assigned to you), or do you want to evolve and be recognized for your artistic eye ?

(Good) modeling requires a good eye, and drawing develops exactly this.

BTW, to all those who think they are not good at it : it's all about being smart about it. Don't try to start from a blank page in the hope of imitating maestros like Joe Mad or Frazetta - there are just too many hard to grasp factors in their art. (composition, line weight, anatomy, lighting...)

Instead, think of the simplest ways to achieve something. In my opinion, that's silhouette drawing. So pick up some sharpies and white correcttion pens and just do it! Or pick up Alchemy, same thing. The irony is that most masterful pieces are started that way anyways. (strong composition)

Do it!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Yes, little focus in 2d concept drawing or figure drawing or life drawing goes a long way in 3d. No one is a born artist they always start somewhere, so, I suggest the OP to at least start and get things going.

It doesnt have to be fair or anything, but it should be good enough for you to understand how the concept goes in 3d so you will have less problems in 3d modeling.

Besides, it doesnt hurt to draw a thing or two on daily basis.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    I can't draw very well in perspective, but my work has never suffered from it.
    Bibendum wrote: »
    Really depends on what your problem is. Drawing is a really broad subject but people always treat it like it's one thing.

If you can't draw in perspective, it won't matter because that shit gets solved for you in 3D.

If you can't render lighting or materials well, you'll probably be fine unless you have to hand paint textures in which case you'll be royally fucked.

If you can't design for shit, you'll probably be alright if you follow someone elses designs.

If you have a terrible sense of form or image composition, your work is going to suffer.

and yes, all this I agree with.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Nekomata wrote: »
    Okay, so how many of you cannot draw to save your life? Does it effect your 3D work in a noticeable way?
    THEN! How many of you CAN draw to save your life but started out not being able to draw at all and does that increase your 3D skill?

My problem is that I have these ideas in my head but I cannot get them onto paper because.. well I cannot draw.

I do draw, but I think there is other way :
    it called
    Photography :), save $ grab some cam and have fun studying composition and colors