Home General Discussion

Tutorial Request: Current-Gen Trees!

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Hey all,

I know trees are a subject that have been covered many times here on PC, and also on the Wiki. Unfortunately, despite my many attempts at creating something that looks marginally decent, I have failed on every occasion.

The tutorials linked in the Wiki seem reasonable, but somewhat dated in comparison to what we are seeing in current gen games. Back in the PS2 era, trees tended to look a little crap, and there's still plenty of bad examples around in todays games.

Some that have caught my eye recently are in Rift, those seem to be done fantastically.

Interestingly some of the environments posted in P&P have some awesome looking foliage. Teaandcigarettes Victorian Mansion enviro has some great trees, Adams Evil Genius env has equally awesome examples, and many others.

I think I speak for many others when I say that a decent walkthrough for todays standards would be much much appreciated.

I must add that I'm referring mainly to the creation of the foliage. Trunks and the first level of big branches is pretty straightforward and there seem to be multiple ways of doing a good job, renderable splines, lofting, ZSpheres, or even using a Max AEC tree as a base.

The foliage on the other hand, populating the branches and especially creating the textures and alphas is a bit of a pain in the ass to say the least.

So, if anyone has a bit of free time, and is a dab hand at trees, a tutorial would be amazing.

Also, apologies if this should be in TT, I couldn't decide whether it was better here or there.

Cheers!