Home Technical Talk

[MAX] Acquire Edit Poly modifier, Disregard Shortcuts

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Max, you dickhead you.

Why is it that when you apply an Edit Poly modifier to multiple objects that the shortcuts for Edit Poly functions (Cut, connect edge, etc) are completely fucked and don't work as mapped?

Replies

• Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    toggle shortcuts over-ride is the problem

click the button that looks like a keyboard key with an arrow on it, it's near the move/rotate/scale icons
  • Mark Dygert
    I hope its KBSO, if its not, I think its in the way they implemented the instanced version of edit poly, which wouldn't shock me. Just like Edit poly is different from Editable Poly, Edit mesh, Editable mesh and poly object they probably created some new class of modifier with its own shortcuts for Edit Poly (the instance)?

They seriously need to straighten that nightmare out, it would make it easier to write max-scripts, it would make max easier to use and would probably cut out a lot of the bloat that weighs max down.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Rick_D wrote: »
    toggle shortcuts over-ride is the problem

click the button that looks like a keyboard key with an arrow on it, it's near the move/rotate/scale icons

Unfortunately, this doesn't do the trick. It disables the shortcuts altogether. So, while Edit Poly modifier had its own set of shortcuts, when I disabled them NOTHING happened when using shortcuts.

Pretty lame!
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it is a shitty choice really - you either need to set up shortcuts for the toggle-shortcuts-override on or off.

they basically added it so you can have the same hotkey bound to multiple functions depending on what modifier you are working in (ctrl+w for weld verts, and weld uv's for example).

the best option would be to copy all your edit poly shortcuts over to theedit poly modifier, although i would be interested in a workaround to this.
  • Mark Dygert
    So is it that the default shortcuts for edit poly (the modifier) stop working when the modifier is instanced across several objects?
    Or
    Is it that Custom edit poly (the modifier) shortcuts stop working when the modifier is instanced across several objects?
    Or
    Is it like Rick_D is suggesting where Editable Poly is different than Edit Poly and you just need to sync your shortcuts in the Customize UI menu?

Personally I say screw Editable Poly and customize the shit out of Edit Poly (The modifier) no matter what I always apply it and work in it. Any script I write uses edit poly instead of editable poly or editable mesh. It's a little harder to do but well worth it for the flexibility.
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    ah but the edit poly modifier misses a few features that edit poly has, which is what makes this problem all the more annoying.
  • Mark Dygert
    Yea and some of what they do share behaves a little different...

Like "Select All" when in boarder mode. In editable poly it properly selects all of the open edges. In edit poly it selects every edge.

Annoying.

And then to top it off you have a lot of the same commands in "the Graphite modeling tools" but with different shortcuts and a separate customize UI category... The whole point of polyboost was to get rid of their horrible inconsistencies and conflicting UI (and add some very useful tools). When they included it, they multiplied one of the problems it solved... cheers guys seriously way to go.