Home Technical Talk

Multi Sub Object Materials and Tiling textures - Please help!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys.

I think this may be easy to solve, or i've been racking my brain for too long over this and the answer is right infront of me :poly142:

I want to use 3 512 textures, tiling in each material ID (1, 2, 3, horizontaly) the white lines devide each 512.

What is a quick way to solve this issue? How would i go about the UVW's and get an easy tile for each Mat ID.

So far, im planar mapping individual and equal poly selections and offsetting. This is a pain in the ass. I will have to do this several times for each material id, line up the UV and rinse repeat.

Please help!

helpcs.jpg

Replies

• OtrickP
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    I'v overlooked a basic process. Just needed to keep it simple, collapse

If this is a poor or there is a better process for this situation please let me know!

Or if you have any good tips/tricks for tiling textures please share.

(the textures im using here are placeholders)
    help2f.jpg
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i just do all this sort of thing with a UVW Map modifier which tiles automatically - stick it on, 'Fit' your gizmo, enter a tile value for accuracy (in this case, 3 in V Tile) or scale the gizmo itslf for roughness. Tidy up afterwards with Unwrap UVW if you need to, but generally if you've got objects with clean horizontal and vertical boundaries and regular sized divisions between IDs you can storm through the mapping of loads of objects like this really quick, and do several at once too.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    select the polys in Mat ID 1 then unwrap it so it tiles properly, then collapse. Repeat for the rest of the sections.

opps yeah i would use the UVW Map modifier instead of trying to do it manually in the Unwrap UVW modifier
  • leechdemon
    Offline / Send Message
    leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
    UVW Map is HUGE for tiling textures. You set the size, or fit. if you cut the polys to be textures before applying the UV's, then Fit does a lot of the work for you. Fit it, then set your Width to whatever the Height is (assuming the map is square), and it'll tile correctly. Then jsut shift it left/right till it lines up where you want it.

Also huge to tiling textures is UVW Xform; you can mathematically scale or shift your UV's. So if you later change one texture to be, say, 256 instead of 512, you can just set the tiling to be (0.5, 0.5) and offset (0.25, 0.25), and it'll line up again.