Home General Discussion

Moving to Cali! Cultural lessons please.

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Driving the 405 or 101 before or after work will be the biggest shock to your system.

this is what most people that are not originally from LA will call absolute hell on earth (x) five billion.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No seriously... for realz...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiY-q6Wafgg[/ame]

And I've only driven through LA a handful of times.
  • joshzaite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy!

Big grats on landing the job at Blizzard :)

I moved to the US a few years ago from Australia and I would just suggest not to worry too much about anything! Most people are delighted enough to see/hear an Aussie (and likely a Kiwi :poly136:) that any cultural mix ups in conversation are quickly forgiven, haha. Just dont be terribly surprised if people ask if you're from England, or South Africa, or probably Australia. Ive had people guess all sorts of things (that said I actually lose 80% of my accent when talkin to Americans, dont know why!)

The biggest things for me were:
    - Drivin on the other side of the road. You'll have to keep your peripheral reflexes in check! I suggest letting someone else drive you the first few times, or just take it slowly, haha.
    - Tipping can be a little weird but at the same time satisfying. I know in Australia the restaurant service is garbage - at least here they have to keep tables happy to pay the bills! Bit twisted but it works.
    - If you're a Tea drinker keep in mind most people here only think of Iced Tea when you say tea (at least in the Mid West they do, maybe different in Cali). Hot with Milk is fairly unusual in any restaurant setting, maybe not at Cafes and the like? Also! Most people have 'Creamer' (powdered) or this weird Half n Half to 'milk' their coffee. Half n Half weirds me out the most, its just left in tiny lil containers unrefrigerated on tables. Obviously perfectly safe, and doesn't taste bad, but give me cold milk anytime!
    - Everything is super cheap (at least compared to Australia), except for what you 'really' need. But you'll be covered there (insurance etc). Recently visited home and the difference is crazy. A trip to the corner store in Australia for some snacks and fish n chips could easy cost 25-30 bucks, here maybe 10, lol.
    - Meijers (if Cali has it, supermarket chain thats everywhere around where I live) has Marmite and a few other UK owned products like Aero bars and stuff.

Im sure theres more... but as you can see from my list - theres nothing ground breaking! Haha. Enjoy!
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    LOL @ falling down, awesome! That's pretty much how I feel every day I drive here in LA O_O I'm sure we have the highest percentage in the US when it comes to road rage...I've seen, I've been a part of it and I've had my own road rage as well.

Well, if you haven't been down here in two years or so, it's probably worse thanks to so much construction going around in the downtown area and the 405 North gets jam packed at around 9PM with the construction there. I can only be thankful I'm not on the that side of the freeway when I'm taking the 405 South to Santa Monica.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    G3L wrote: »
    LOL @ falling down, awesome! That's pretty much how I feel every day I drive here in LA O_O I'm sure we have the highest percentage in the US when it comes to road rage...I've seen, I've been a part of it and I've had my own road rage as well.

Well, if you haven't been down here in two years or so, it's probably worse thanks to so much construction going around in the downtown area and the 405 North gets jam packed at around 9PM with the construction there. I can only be thankful I'm not on the that side of the freeway when I'm taking the 405 South to Santa Monica.
    I've heard that people are generally good drivers there so there are usually not a lot of problems. I've also heard about huge fines for causing traffic. Can you confirm any of these rumors?
    I was actually gonna visit a friend in LA last year until I got cold feet and never left. The traffic/driving was the main issue.
    Also, does Irvine have the same problems?
    Do people react like this(I mean the first 8 seconds of the clip);
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stF2O_5N-zQ[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would lean toward most people never getting out of their cars or even using their horn. I think most people choose to make the best of it and suffer in silence. If you're dumb enough to hang out your window and berate people... you probably deserve to get popped in the mouth.

If you can't live close it might be better to leave super early or super late. Most employeers are really flexible on work hours, but I don't know for sure about Blizzard.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    As far as traffic to work goes, where you're gonna be working at is not gonna be bad. Just stay away from LA traffic and try to live anywhere in the OC area and you should be ok. LA and Irvine is like night and day. Welcome to Cali.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    If you see anyone of African descent walking around, don't call them black people. And don't ever refer to them as "you people." And basically don't use the word "nigger" in conversation...ever. There's no law or anything, but it's just better to avoid it. Racial tensions aren't as strained as they used to be in California, but there are some things that don't just get forgotten. Aside from these obvious pitfalls it's totally cool to socialize with people of various ethnic backgrounds. California is known for having a large Latin presence, as well as an extensive representation of Asian cultures.

As far as Asians go, don't refer to them as "oriental." They probably won't get bent out of shape about it, but they consider it mildly insulting. If you can manage to identify their country of origin without asking them you get bonus points. They pretty much expect you to get it wrong. If in doubt, guess Chinese or Korean. Don't guess Japanese. Japan doesn't have the best relationship with the Asian mainland. If you mistake a Chinese or Korean for being Japanese they will take offense.

If you hear someone who claims to be from the American "South" using terms in conversation that you don't recognize, you should probably make a point of not repeating those terms. The American "South" generally covers a decent chunk of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Florida.
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread has turned into all sorts of awesome! Thanks to everyone who's contributed. Especially Mark, that post was epic in every sense of the word.

I'm going to need to get cable for the Rugby World Cup :(
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When do you get here? I'm thinking about planning an LA meet up sometime in July.

Ummm I don't really have any advice. I got to LA in January. Say gas not petrol. A GPS would be nice. I know that I currently don't have a car but I'm getting mine in 2 weeks and I think I will need the GPS app on my phone.

Get ready to not understand the hispanic accent. :P TRUST ME.... It is totally awkward when I don't know what people are saying. But I guess you may have people not understanding you depending on how thick your accent is.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    As far as Asians go, don't refer to them as "oriental." They probably won't get bent out of shape about it, but they consider it mildly insulting. If you can manage to identify their country of origin without asking them you get bonus points. They pretty much expect you to get it wrong. If in doubt, guess Chinese or Korean. Don't guess Japanese. Japan doesn't have the best relationship with the Asian mainland. If you mistake a Chinese or Korean for being Japanese they will take offense.
    Actually I would advice you not to guess a person's nationality at all unless you're 100% sure. They can take offence for several reasons, one of them which Richard Kain has already stated.
    Also;
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg[/ame]
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Actually I would advice you not to guess a person's nationality at all unless you're 100% sure. They can take offence for several reasons, one of them which Richard Kain has already stated.

Yeah, better to be cautious then have to stick your foot in your mouth.

Also, native United States citizens seem to be entranced by foreign accents. Don't try to hide your accent at all. A little New Zealand "twang" will probably go over just fine in California. It's a good hook for picking up chicks. Or if you're in San Francisco and swing that way, a good way to pick up guys.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    The comments about eating from street vendors might be true in a lot of locations, but New York and L.A are exceptions to this rule. There are a wide variety of food trucks around L.A. and the outlying areas, and many of them have incredible food. Like restaurants, they all aren't awesome, but they are always worth a try. My wife and I spent several weekends when we first moved here tracking down food trucks. We got some great eats, and learned our way around, to boot.
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    When do you get here? I'm thinking about planning an LA meet up sometime in July.

Ummm I don't really have any advice. I got to LA in January. Say gas not petrol. A GPS would be nice. I know that I currently don't have a car but I'm getting mine in 2 weeks and I think I will need the GPS app on my phone.

I'll be lucky to have my VISA sorted in July, but if there was a meet up when I'm over there I'd definitely come. I imagine I'll be there early August, but it's possible that the whole process could take longer (unfortunately!).

Good point about the GPS, that's probably going to be a pretty good investment.

That's also good news about the accent - mine isn't too thick but I'm not planning on losing it! My girlfriend is coming over with me so the picking up chicks (said "pucking up chucks" with a Kiwi accent) isn't on the cards.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey any words of wisdom of the blizzard interview? My friend is going into an interview with them this week... :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point about the GPS, that's probably going to be a pretty good investment.
    I don't know what kind of phone you have or plan to have, but it might be a better option to forgo the dash mounted unit, nothing says "hey! I like tech gadgets, bust my window and rifle through my glovebox!" Like a GPS unit (or empty mount) sitting on your dash.

At least with a phone your much more likely to take it with you and not leave anything behind that would tempt someone to wonder what else is stashed in your car.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what kind of phone you have or plan to have, but it might be a better option to forgo the dash mounted unit, nothing says "hey! I like tech gadgets, bust my window and rifle through my glovebox!" Like a GPS unit (or empty mount) sitting on your dash.

At least with a phone your much more likely to take it with you and not leave anything behind that would tempt someone to wonder what else is stashed in your car.

Yeah especially if you've got a smart phone or you're paying for some sort of data plan already, its a good move to just get an android or something.

I'm sure you will have to get a cell phone plan when you get here, so just get a decent phone with a good speaker for GPS.

One thing that I do not like about my phone's GPS however, is that when you loose internet connection, you can't search for a new location. Makes driving across the mid-west a pain. But that shouldn't ever be an issue in LA/Irvine.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    GPS protip: get a sandbag mount - it's basically a sandbag with a grippy bottom that sints on your dash - I typically stash my GPS in my glove box when I'm close to my destination so it isn't visible when I'm pulling in and it doesn't leave any tell-tale window marks.

Just make sure you always lock your car doors, my girlfriend got her gps stolen out of her glovebox in suburban Virginia.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Put a deposit down for a pre-paid credit card. $200 should suffice.

You'll NEED credit to do many many things there.

Get a car. There's almost no way around it. You NEED a car in that city.

And don't listen to the people about the street meat. Bacon wrapped hot dogs are absolutely delicious, and somehow taste even better after a night of drinking.

Some of the best Korean food, and Mexican food on the planet can be found there.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Oh almost forgot. For mobiles we found out that getting a pre paid phone also charges you for when someone calls your phone. So outgoing and incoming calls cost D:

Lol @ flight of the concords!
  • .polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .polygon polycounter lvl 11
    i can stop reading this thread, lol.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Goraaz wrote: »
    I've heard that people are generally good drivers there so there are usually not a lot of problems. I've also heard about huge fines for causing traffic. Can you confirm any of these rumors?
    I was actually gonna visit a friend in LA last year until I got cold feet and never left. The traffic/driving was the main issue.
    Also, does Irvine have the same problems?
    Do people react like this(I mean the first 8 seconds of the clip);

Haha not at all!! But I have had my run ins with idiots who think they're Speed Racer and decide to own the road at their speed and cut everyone off. And dear God if you end up merging into the lane you need to and impeding them from going 100MPH...There's been a lotta fast driving in congested traffic areas.

I had one idiot who was coming up pretty fast on the lane I needed to merge but I had to because my exit was coming up and it wasn't like I was intentionally gonna try to block him. So I did for like 5 seconds and then guy starts to go faster and cut right in front of me and starts driving at 30 mph on the freeway....wtf O_O And everywhere I went he kept right in front of me. Thank God my exit came up and I just got off lol

I swear it pisses me off when people try to go faster and move up ahead but all they managed to do was go from behind me and end up going forward only a car ahead. Easily could've crashed into some people with that type of driving.

In my 10 years of driving here in LA the driving here has gotten worse...DMV is letting anyone pass here. Some people just drive way too slow, don't follow the rules (my co worker almost got ran over in front me thanks to some idiot who decided to bust a u-turn at a red light) and some people...well they just don't deserve the privilege.

Not trying to scare anyone though :P LA and Ventura County area is the worst...OC should be fine.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    And oh yeah, food trucks are all the rage here, such as Nom Nom Truck. Still need to try the Grilled Cheese Truck one though O_o
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea in California roadside food is a bit of a rage right now and there are some really good ones, or so I hear.

It's starting to take off farther up the coast, there are a few "gourmetrucks" in my area that look good, are always packed at peak hours and because it rains and snows, they have small enclosed shelters. You've gotta watch out where ever you go, even a sit down can give you crappy food and have you yelling at your shoes before the night is out.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    having lived in New Zealand and Los Angele I will give you a few 'tips' about culture. A lot of US specific etiquette does not apply to LA.

street level:
    greater Los Angeles is a huge sprawling place. made up of lots of smaller cities each of which has its own character. aside from New York it's probably the most ethnically divers place in the US. it is not very fast paced like new york or a lot of cities but it is rather unfriendly, dirty, with lots of tension between groups on many levels. at street level don't expect people to to want to talk to you and don't go around trying to talk to people. everyone likes to have there own little space and not be disturbed. all the different people generally get along at street level. shopping grocery store etc, but that's about as far as it goes. the Asians stick in there own communities as do the Hispanics the Blacks and the Whites. there are racists in all these groups in LA so be aware of that. if you see someone that looks like trouble or a group of people of one race doing there thing its best to move along and let them do there thing. basically have some 'street smarts' and remember that there are lots of people from different cultures many are first generation immigrants with poor or no english skills. some are cool some are not. generally the people that look like you will want to talk to you. and they will have the most in common with you.

having said that there are lots of cross cultural areas and things to do in LA. the more artistic hipster types are generally the most open and will be willing to give you some info. they can be snobs to tho! poly142.gif

GET A CAR... GET A CAR...GET A CAR...

this should be your first priority after getting your stuff sorted. I'm sure they will help you find an apartment and a rental company for a car. get an apartment where you do not have to commute. in LA this will make your life much much better. even better would see if anyone is looking for a roommate at the studio.

food:
    if you have some products/food bring some extra. then see if you can order it online or get it shipped. everything from soap to deodorant to toothpaste is different. food is different also. food in NZ is much sweeter then it is in the us. curry tomato sauce ect. so get ready for that. the US is FULL of CRAP FOOD! drive through everything and its all garbage. you will not find any fish and chips shops. bistro places with good meat and beer are expensive and out of the way so you will have to look for them and drive to them. in general pay a little more in LA and you get great food but if you go to the street level fast food places its all garbage. you can find a good burger joint or mexican food place here an there. same with sushi and asian food. to get a good european bistro style meal steak lamb etc and a good beer go to a good 'steak house' there are lots in LA. there is also a lot of health food nut type food and shops if your into that.

2 last things

do NOT call anyone BUDDY. ok... BUDDY! that's very snaky and may get you into a fight.

try to make friends at work and hang out with them. that will keep you sane. LA can be a depressing place like any big city. having some people you can hang with makes it liveable. trying to get a girl in LA and all that is a whole huge can of worms that I would not worry about for a while until you get into a groove and your life sorted.

and most americans to not say cheers. BUT I do! and you should to if you feel comfortable with it! in LA you can get away with it.

cheers mate!
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for all the awesome feedback! The lawyers are going ahead with my O-1 application so things are still looking good. No indication of my start date yet but I'm just glad it's moving in the right direction.

Good point about using the GPS with your smartphone rather than a seperate unit. Actually, that brings up a good point. If I'm looking to get a plan, which mobile provider should I go with?

Also, those food trucks look cool. Although, I'm vegetarian and probably going to switch to a vegan diet once I get to the US since I hear from various sources that it's easier to find that type of food over there. In New Zealand, we're a very "meat-centric" society and because of the small population, we really don't have enough demand to drive prices down on vegan/vegetarian goods (or even be able to find them!).

Also, this may be a stupid question, but since you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car (:P)... do you still have the accelerator (gas pedal!?) under your right foot? I'm hoping that isn't back to front too!
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm vegetarian and probably going to switch to a vegan diet once I get to the US since I hear from various sources that it's easier to find that type of food over there.
    to front too!

my word... you are one of what 10, 11 people in all of new zealand eating no meat?

in that case then you should find LA a ridiculously great place for food. SOCAL prob has the best vegetarian vegan food scene in the world. everything is fresh and relatively cheap because of the climate.

there are better markets but probably the biggest organic grocery is whole food. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/

if you try to network with the vegans in LA be forewarned most of those people are bat shit crazy :poly142:
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gray wrote: »
    if you try to network with the vegans in LA be forewarned most of those people are bat shit crazy :poly142:

QFT! It's the same thing here. Seriously, just because you don't eat meat - doesn't mean you need to be a completely crazy.

Great to hear another affirmation of the food available to me :) Thanks for the link too!

And yes, the usual response in New Zealand to "I'm not going to eat that steak because I'm vegetarian" is "oh, ok mate, you eat chicken though, right?" - true story.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Although, I'm vegetarian and probably going to switch to a vegan diet once I get to the US since I hear from various sources that it's easier to find that type of food over there.

Yet another thing we share in common :D Fresh Organic produce is way way easier to find over here dude, we get weekly boxes of fresh fruit and veg delivered to our door from a USDA organic farm we can visit thats a couple of hours north of SanFran!
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous! You must be my estranged twin :P

I've added you on Skype but I'm not sure they you use that thing. I'll definitely reserve a jar of Marmite in my suitcase for you.
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thread revival! I just had my last appointment at the consulate this morning so now I'm officially able to work in the US. Geeezz... what a long stressful process. Thanks to Jon-Troy for the kiwi-advice. One of the guys in the queue before me got denied and I was like "oh crap".

So, I'll be seeing all you Irvinians (?) in two weeks time. Good timing too - it snowed in Auckland for the first time in 70 years yesterday!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ugh, why would you leave the country that has ferg burgers? seriously! not to mention... WETA!

but, in all seriousness.... look left first, then right, when crossing the street. they come at you from a different direction in the states :)

its not american football. just... football. and if you watch rugby, I believe what they play over here is rugby leage. not that other Bullshit of a sport... whatever its called. At least, i think i have that right. leage is the one withOUT the 4 downs? right? where they actually have to scum and shit. not that panzy ass sport where if you get tackled, you get up, keep the ball, and most of the time run it directly into the same group of guys that took you down. (yes, im aware thats alot like football. thats why im pissed they call it rugby over there, though i think its mostly aus that plays that crappy version).

ummm, what else. oh. the money is NOT waterproof! so take all bills out of your damn pocket before going swimming and putting your laundry through the wash! and it rips VERY easily.

besides that.... enjoy the cheaper alcohol!

oh, and tipping is easy. the usual amount is 15%, based on service and what not. Ive worked in a restaurant many times before, so I dont tip less than 15% unless the server REALLY deserves it. but slow food is NOT the servers fault, so they shouldnt be punished (yes, its punishing them, as they usually only make like $7/hr). but, if they arent coming around, checking on you, asking for refills and that sorda thing. or if they forgot to punch in your order, THEN ill tip less. but for the most part its 15 - 20%. and incase you need an easy way of figuring out how much is 15%. say your bill is $73.37... move the decimal to the left 1 digit, and that gives you 10%, then add half. so, in this case, 10% is $7.34, plus half of 7. Id probably leave an $11 tip. But, if you use debit, alot of the debit machines they bring to your table will ask if you want to tip, then ask if you wanna do dollar amount, or percentage. so that helps too. but yes. unless you dont get your food, or its the worst service of life. never NOT leave a tip. always tip your server (parties of 8 or more usually have tip included in the bill. they can legally do that).

hope that helps.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Thread revival! I just had my last appointment at the consulate this morning so now I'm officially able to work in the US. Geeezz... what a long stressful process.

Congrats!