Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Navillus, Environment Artist

http://navillus3d.com/ Hey guys, I'm lookin for a job, less than a week away from graduating from the Art Institute of Phoenix, and need some critique on my portfolio (content and/or site layout). The links to my team's game don't work just yet cause we're still workin on it. It'll be ready to download and play by this thursday.

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I would keep the gallery and the resume sections.
    The home page is the same as the gallery, so you don't really need it.
    For the demo reel, well, it's so much faster to see screenshot now than a video.
    Don't forget to include the wireframe of your scene, it's important to show how you made them and how optimize the meshes are. By the way, indicate the number of triangle too.
    Otherwise, the web site is simple and the screenshot are big, which is very good!
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Easy to navigate and good thing you described your workflow shortly.

I suppose the Play and Download buttons on the Dust project should do something :)?
    Can't really tell much from the screens on that, or the model renders. They are a bit smallish I think.

I like the ground and the left building in the alley scene. The right building(s) looks a bit rough and almost looks like they were made with BSP brushes, I think some frame on the window up there would be nice and some texture matching. Right now it seems there's a lot of different contrasts going on in the various textures.

I think I like the swamp scene the most. Even if it's a bit hard to tell what's going on in some parts due to the lighting and shadows mostly I believe. But the scene has something to it that makes it very appealing. I think it's the fog and lighting together with a nice setting. I'd love to see some more screenshots of that one though.
    It's a bit sparse to only have one screen from each scene. And I believe you've spent some time on them so it's quite a shame to not utilize that by taking at least 3 screens from different angles. That way you also force yourself to make stuff look interesting from more than one single angle (preferably to have it look appealing from any direction), which is so important when you work with games anyhow :)

Nicely done though, and good luck with your job hunt!

EDIT: Whoopsie, I see now that you said those links wouldn't work yet... My bad.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The site is pretty nice and easy to navigate (important) like PhilipK said.

The lighting on the pieces doesn't seem that focused. It's hard to tell what we should be looking at.

I would read this and try to apply it to your scenes:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3275

Also some more portfolio pieces would be smart. Smaller objects are probably fine. You don't need to make all full scenes. You've shown you can do that.

Good luck!
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Mr. Nav nice to see you finally getting on here. Everything that everyone has said pretty much covers it. Wire frames from unreal are going to be a little busy though...so you might want to figure out a way to display them on the detail lighting? Any way MORE!!!
  • Navillus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate the input
    @megalmn I have the home page and gallery page set up so that I can add to the gallery page later, and the home page will be highlights of the first things I want people to see. I know that images are what will sell my art, but the reel shows movement that I think needs to be conveyed. Thanks for your critique man

@PhilipK, Thank you for the revelation, If I was gonna make single shots it probably would have been better to just take renders. Both of these scenes were set up only to be viewed from those shots. I absolutely will follow that advice for my next scene. For the buildings on the right are the silhouettes too simple? They are meshes, maybe I need to have some bricks jutting out? Thanks again, this is really helpful

@Jeffro that's a really awesome link. I've wanted to make a really high detail prop for a while, that's definitely gonna be my next project. Thank you

@Poff I was worried about the same thing with the wireframes. I'll see if I can do a cool difference pass with detail lighting and wireframe mode.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    jeffro wrote: »
    The site is pretty nice and easy to navigate (important) like PhilipK said.

The lighting on the pieces doesn't seem that focused. It's hard to tell what we should be looking at.

I would read this and try to apply it to your scenes:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3275

Also some more portfolio pieces would be smart. Smaller objects are probably fine. You don't need to make all full scenes. You've shown you can do that.

Good luck!

Nice stuff here! Also thanks for that cgsociety link jeffro.
  • Navillus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So hey guys, if anyone is interested, my team's game is up and ready to play on my site (Sorry if you guys run into any major bugs, it's still in Alpha)

The next thing I'm workin on for my portfolio is an environment piece. The concept is from Darksiders by Paul Richards
    ds_soulbridge1.jpg

Low Poly
    SoulBridgeShot.jpg

I'll post the sculpt as soon as it's ready
  • Navillus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's the sculpts for the base and pillars
    BaseSculpt.jpg
    PillarSculpt.jpg
    And here's the first texture and lighting pass in UDK
    The projection has been giving me all kinds of issues. Need to find a better solution to get the normals on the pillar bases
    UDKFirst.jpg