Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Woogity- Character fun

Hey there fellow polycounters! been a long while since i did a personal character through the whole pipeline, and i have done an absolute ton of learning in the past year, so I thought it would be a good time to make something fun and hopefully awesome.

That said, I am going to be working on an insectoid alien ( original I know). This particular bug creature will be the warrior class of his particular hive structured species. I want the character to come of as quick and lithe. i will be creating armor for this guy and weapons once i figure out his anatomy and how i want his details split up. what i am pretty solid on right now is that he will have folding mouth parts that cover up his vulnerable face area.

concept sculpt 01
CharacterStrip%20copy.jpg

concept sculpt retop
base%20topo.jpg

head base topo:

base%20topo%20head.jpg

C&C most welcome and highly appriciated!

-Woog

Replies

• letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff! nice scultping!

by the way how did you uplaud your images?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    This guy makes me think of a realistic version of "The Tick". Spoon! Nice sculpt.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the concept. the sculpting seems a bit muddy might have to increase it to a few subds
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    The different curves in this model are great. There are a lot of interesting shapes.

I also like how you chose talon hands over Tyranid scythes.
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Looks District 9 inspired in a way, but cool. Keep it up man! :)
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I really like this model's stance and general proportions. Nice work Woog.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really yummy :) great low!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butt_Sahib: thanks man! hopefully the high will be equally delicious when its done! if there character thing doesn't work out maybe ill sell them at bake-sales!:poly122:

PeterK: thanks alot man high praise coming from you!

Dang87: yea man D9 is defiantly an inspiration for me, i don't expect to go that direction with the armor, but the way they handled the head design of the prawns is defiantly in the back of my mind.

JMT: the curvature and proportion was my biggest focus coming into this guy, i did about 30 silhouette sketches of him before i found one i wanted. all of the original concepts had the scythe arms i was working on, but Ive been having so much fun doing weapons recently i wanted to do more haha.

Makecg: thanks man the sculpting there is defiantly a bit soft, its just a concept sculpt to get my general proportions right to make the lp base. i think the whole thing is only around 130k tris.

Greevar: that show should never have gone off the air, sooooooooooooo good, that might be a great idea for comicon...?

Letronrael: thanks d00d! i uploaded them to my website, but you post them here by copying the link to your image clicking on the little yellow picture guy and pasting it.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some updates on the sculpt, not satisfied with the big arms atm may redo them, also this is pretty rough, just filling out the forms of his chitinous plates some soft stuff and asymmetry to come.

sculpt%20rough%202%20copy.jpg

- Woog
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I really like some of the shapes you have going on in the arms. Maybe you could bring some of that flow into the lower legs as well.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    love the extra set of chest arms, and can only echo haikai's words, those forearms are ace. Replicating the shapes in the legs would look sweet.