Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3Point Studios Brink Art Pimp

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Perty pimp stuff, dunno if you guys can answer this, but you mentioned all the guns were done on 2048x1024 maps. Did the accessories share these maps? Have their own smaller maps? Or were they grouped together by weapon type or something to that effect?

Also, did you guys handpaint everything or were any photo overlays/masks involved? Just curious about your texturing process in general for the art style.

2048x1024 was for the base guns, sights, accessories etc were on separate maps. Overall texture usage for weapon+addons is probably about 2048x2048 max for each gun, or something like that, I'm sure mop knows the vmem figures there.

As far as texturing goes, a variety of methods were used, from photsourcing, to hand painting, to technical scripts Per cooked up in photoshops for creating specific effects, and even some 3d painting in mudbox as well.

Now as promised, here are some fancy highpoly renders, with the obligatory post processing of course.

3PointStudios_Brink_High_ar02.jpg
    3PointStudios_Brink_High_revolver02.jpg
    3PointStudios_Brink_High_shotgun02.jpg3PointStudios_Brink_High_shotgun01.jpg
    3PointStudios_Brink_High_ar05.jpg
    3PointStudios_Brink_High_hmg01.jpg
    3PointStudios_Brink_High_smg02.jpg
    3PointStudios_Brink_High_ar03.jpg
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    amazing as always. :D

is there still no chance we would be able to see wires or flats?
  • EarthQuake
    Wires maybe at some point, flats generally are a big no-no as they are raw art content, so I can give a definite no to seeing any of the actual texture maps.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Fantastic work. My personal fav is the sig-ish rifle on the bottom. The foregrip just looks like it'd have a nice feel.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Oooooh, those are nice:poly121:
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Man, you guys should show theses on your 3Point Studios portfolio (web site)! ^^
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent work, i just blew my load!
  • chadabees
    Kings of baking right there.. The LP looked pretty damn as good quality as the highs :)
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Damn :) ... looks just awesome.
  • jordan.kocon
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    There is some crazy nice high poly work. Were these completely modeled in max/maya, or was there sculpting done for some of the small details?
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Damn sexy HP's, and thanks to the link on the baking tut, straight forward enough but good to read :)
  • EarthQuake
    There is some crazy nice high poly work. Were these completely modeled in max/maya, or was there sculpting done for some of the small details?

Thanks!

I use Modo for 100% of my high/low modeling and uvs. Then everything gets sent off to maya for scene setup, baking etc. Other artists used Max and XSI. Not much sculpting was done for the base weapons, but some of the resistance variations that are beat up did have a mudbox(I think? Maybe it was zbrush) pass.

Everything shown in the above renders is straight up sub-d modeling.
  • G3L
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Good to know that a lot of these were done with sub-d modeling ><

Sorry to pop up this question but, latlely I've been seeing a lot of Zbrush people do some good hard surface stuff nowadays. For whatever reason I prefer doing any sub-d stuff in Max or modeling package besides using more of a sculpting based program such as Zbrush or Mudbox.

Any chance you guys would move onto Zbrush for nearly 100% of your workflow? Curious as to what you guys foresee for the near future.

And again, as if it hasn't been mentioned enough, thank you for sharing and for some of the tips and tricks :D Very greatly appreciated! Some of these renders are just amazing and definitely inspire me to get even better! Thanks again :)
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    absolutely gorgeous :) you guys are kings at what you do.
  • EarthQuake
    G3L wrote: »
    Good to know that a lot of these were done with sub-d modeling ><

Sorry to pop up this question but, latlely I've been seeing a lot of Zbrush people do some good hard surface stuff nowadays. For whatever reason I prefer doing any sub-d stuff in Max or modeling package besides using more of a sculpting based program such as Zbrush or Mudbox.

Any chance you guys would move onto Zbrush for nearly 100% of your workflow? Curious as to what you guys foresee for the near future.

And again, as if it hasn't been mentioned enough, thank you for sharing and for some of the tips and tricks :D Very greatly appreciated! Some of these renders are just amazing and definitely inspire me to get even better! Thanks again :)

IMO, sculpting can be a cool tool for quickly blocking out shapes and conceptualizing, but I'm not sure I would ever be comfortable doing this sort of work entirely in a sculpting app, it just seems counter intuitive. IMO a better workflow would probably be to block out your shapes in your sculpting app quickly, and then use that as a base to model a clean Sub-d mesh over. I've seen some people get some nice results with that.

In general I think sculpting is suited more towards abstract and organic type meshes, not really something like these weapons where we had very clear and precise concepts for them.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the *everything must have a zbrush pass* mentality that I think a lot of people are applying to hard surface work these days. It seems almost like people are doing this just because they can, not because its really necessary or even making the work any better. Certainly for specific styles like the distressed work Kevin Johnston does on GOW, it works very well. But I think we see a lot of copy cat stuff where people think throwing their model into zbrush and greebling in random dents and damage is something that always needs to be done. I'm generally not a fan.

I'm not sure I would say that sculpting is ever going to replace solid sub-d modeling, atleast not any time soon. Sculpting tools keep getting better and better, but you've still got some real basic limitations. Say after you're pretty much done with your mesh, you realize many of your edges are too tight? With sub-d, as long as your loops are clean its just a matter of sliding some edge loops around. With sculpting, this could be a major time consuming revision.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    because you guys float a lot of your extra details, like the cylindrical pieces n such.. does that ever cause issues when projecting? do you ever get warped results that need to be fixed? if so how do you go about fixing them?
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah, skewed details really doesn't have anything to do with floaters. If the detail is floated or if it is modeled straight it, the skewed bake is because of the normals on your lowpoly mesh. More here:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Amazing work EQ. Simply stunning :)
  • tacit math
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    use more geo !!

ha. again guys. fucking sweet work. and huge props for supporting the community with your knowledge

bring on the next 3Point pimp
  • G3L
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    oh man, thanks so much for answering >< i know it must be a pain after a while with all these questions but thanks for taking the time to do so :)

i totally agree with a lot of the things you mentioned. that and the fact that a zbrush pass happens just because you can, not too big of a fan of that unless something does need it.

and i actually never thought about how easy it would be to clean up stuff when sub-ding instead of sculpting out or refining some od those tight edges on hard surface models.

very useful information and something that was always on my mind since again i do see a lot of people using zbrush more and more for things in general but it's good to know it won't be the go to package for hi-res stuff in most cases, especially for hard surface objects.

i think it's pretty clear sub-d gets the job done for objects such as the weapons shown in this thread. bakes come out awesome! thanks again!
  • pumbaa
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
    Goddamn it I've had it with all these sudden love liquid stains.

Oh and another note, I completely agree, the devotion of you guys to the community makes me happy.
  • _Erik
    Really really nice weapons. Any chance we can see some environment art you guys made?
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Damn you all, I just went out and bought Brink: Special Edition because of this. :)
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice work guys!
  • Cooljay
    I'm liking the handguns :)
  • n88tr
    do you have like any unused weapon pics?
    like stuff u made that didn't get in the game or did you get an order for xyz weapons and you only made just those?
  • EiGHT
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Always so pumped to see these.The guns all seem to have a personality of there own.I love it.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    you guys are solid... thanks for posting this stuff
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    guns looks lovely cant wait to see the Environment work :)
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Amazing work! Thanks for putting these up!
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Gaaaaahhhhh *drool*

Amazing stuff guys, and thanks for the insight!
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing stuff! Look forward to the environment stuff.
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Wow these are so good looking, great material work :).
  • pumbaa
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
    Hrrrrm this might be a little late, but could we please please strawberry pie see some wires?
  • edoran89
    omg i love that revolver / pistol, Great stuff!
  • Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Amazing work here, those guns are pimp!:thumbup::thumbup:
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    n88tr wrote: »
    do you have like any unused weapon pics?
    like stuff u made that didn't get in the game or did you get an order for xyz weapons and you only made just those?

yes, anything else would be a huge waste of money. It's a professional development process, design phases, concepts, place-holders...
  • n88tr
    I meant do you have extra unused pieces you could show us?
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I wish I had more useful comments to say than "wow"... But I think I'll just stick with a big wow to you guys! :)

Everything I see here is spot on, also, that's some of the best usage of floaters I have seen a round, I hope people actually stop and stare at this renders for a while and study them and how floaters should be used, and when you should actually model the stuff in your mesh.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Who did the concepts for these, are these 3Point or did you work from Splash Damage concepts?

It's interesting to see how many of the designs are effectively Brink-exaggerated existing guns, like the MP7, SCAR, M4, 1911, etc - I'd imagine were I better I'd recognize more than that.
  • Doughnut Bear
    stuff is awesome, sadly i haven't played the game but the art style is fantastic, i love the revolver
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    really nice work guys!
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    [HP] wrote: »
    I wish I had more useful comments to say than "wow"... But I think I'll just stick with a big wow to you guys! :)

Everything I see here is spot on, also, that's some of the best usage of floaters I have seen a round, I hope people actually stop and stare at this renders for a while and study them and how floaters should be used, and when you should actually model the stuff in your mesh.

Totally. Its not too often just looking at a model can be so informative.

im seriously thinking of buying brink just so i can rip the models and study them
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    perna wrote: »
    Think "real time baker". Move a vert and you see how it'll look in realtime. Only the affected geometry is baked, and incrementally.

Oooh, now I'm excited!
  • ZamM90
    Offline / Send Message
    ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, its awesome to see some great models from Brink here
  • fusedgore
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    I would Like to see some wires on these guns which are sexy btw