Home General Discussion

Coming out of final year - Portfolio

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Wesley polycounter lvl 13
Hey there folks, I know this type of thread must have been created quite a few times, but if you're able to help me out I'd much appreciate it. Essentially I'm coming out of university in a year from a games design course. Now... I've read plenty of threads about degrees versus self-taught and just having that portfolio - this isn't about that. I'm aware that my degree, in all reality, means very little to these companies and it's all about my portfolio. And this is what this thread is about as well.

Essentially I have no work right now that I'd wanna put into my portfolio - I do have a couple of WIPs that I do want to take to that level, but nothing that far ahead yet. So basically I'm asking about what I should put into my portfolio. I wanna go into environment/prop stuff - I know that's where most of the jobs are and I love working with that kind of stuff now. So what should I make? I have one year, but realistically with other course commitments I have a sixth of that time, to work on 3D portfolio things. What should I focus on? Most people around me are starting on a single environment and are going to try and make it as polished as possible. But then I've seen some really amazing portfolios (especially Scott Homer's) that, although might have an environment, seem to focus on singular things; a really nice vehicle, building, weapon, etc. So is it best to spend time on a big environment or go for "bits"? Going for the latter seems like a much more achievalbe task, letting me focus on showing off certain skills and showing different styles. But without a fully made environment am I screwed?

Also, how much original content and stuff from concepts should I have? In industry surely someone in that area will 99% of the time be working off concepts. So... if I had a portfolio mostly made from other people's concepts would that show them I'm able to do that, or would they just think I have no originality? Truth be told I'd be more comfortable working off concepts because I think I'd get a better quality of work produced in a better time frame. When working off my own stuff I mostly work just in 3D and try to find the form in there, which takes longer. (Side question - when working off other people's concepts, do you guys shoot them an email asking for permission? I presume that's what's done.)

And when it comes to the portfolio itself what I should I be gunning for? I made this website (it's just a HTML version of a Flash version from another portfolio) earlier in the year ready to fill it with final year work). It needs a few things changing but generally I was happy with it. But now I've seen other portfolios and I'm not too sure it's suitable. Those tiles are pretty small on the left and generally people seem to have nice big images even for the previews. I always thought HTML only websites were the best, and now I've seen some great HTML websites such as this which have elements that look similar to a Flash based portfolio but uses HTML5. But is all the moving images and Flash-y stuff still a no go?

Generally I'm pretty confused about everything and not sure what to tackle, afraid it'll be redundant in terms of employment.

Any help, links or great examples of what I should be hitting would be great.

Cheers.

EDIT: Also, I really love the more technical side of 3D. So rigging, MAXScripting, etc. For another module in my final year I was going to concentrate on that sort of thing rather than "game design stuff", because I thought it'd be more useful. Are employers going to give a shit that I've made a bunch of scripts and custom rigs though? Is that a waste of portfolio space?

Replies

• PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    You want to be an environment artist? Create whole environments. That shows your ability to maintain a style, composition, and consideration of texture usage and triangle density. Read some of the critiques being posted about the Brawl Environment winners. It is quite literally industry professionals pointing out what's wrong and what's right about each scene. A single prop can say a lot about your abilities, but a whole environment built from individual props says that much more.

Once you get a full environment made, take a few beauty shots of it, but also show off each individual asset, it's wires, and it's flats. That way you cover all the bases, and really show off what you are capable of.

My immediate advice is take one of your WIPs and transform it into the best work you have ever done. Then repeat the process till you have a nice full portfolio that covers a broad range of environments.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I'm aware that my degree, in all reality, means very little to these companies and it's all about my portfolio.

Good :)
    Essentially I have no work right now that I'd wanna put into my portfolio

Do future students a favor and let your Dean know that the program should leave their students with more portfolio items. This actually worked at my school, so, be a hero and pave the way for change.

Having said that though, I only used one school project in my portfolio because the rest showed my noobness way too much. Not only that, but I didn't like the constraints of each assignment which essentially had us make a laundry list of props into a scene, not a scene with props.

My point is to take your portfolio into your own hands. Hopefully have some free time, because it's going to take work. Log how long it takes you to create each scene and think about displaying that with your art. At the very least, use it to benchmark yourself.
    So is it best to spend time on a big environment or go for "bits"?

The best advice I ever got from my old man was: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Seems stupid, but it reminds me (one who can quickly feel overwhelmed) to break down projects into bites and work on things in a sequential order. I would recommend planning your scene out. This includes a sketch, a list of props, and a development strategy + timeline of completion.

Not digging your site at all. I shouldn't even know I'm on a website while I look at your portfolio. There's no place for a portfolio or a quick about me page, the thumbs are too small IMO, and clicking through each will be a pain in the ass. I think I would click on 3 links MAX before throw your application away if I as hiring.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    To be an environment artist you dont necessarily need to have full environments, but you need to at least be able to show that you can work on the grid creating modular highly reusable pieces. As long as you have something that conveys that, the rest can be props. Full environments are just so employers know your skill set extends into other areas (lighting, post effects, etc.) and understand the basics of game engines, all of which potentially makes you more valuable, but only if you've got the rest down first.

About creativity: Its good to have, but not that important as a junior artist. It's more important that you can take pre-existing designs and bring them to life, and don't get caught up if the assignments your given are somewhat vague. That is, If given no references and told "make a generic office desk" you don't spend hours looking at office desks on Google before starting.

websites: No flash, ever. Gallery up front. Don't have tons of unused "coming soon" thumbnails (your site is a prime example of this). Also don't ever make people install extra browser plugins to view your work.
    I would avoid rigs unless you want to be an animator or character artist, and scripts are fine so long as they have their own section.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, cheers for taking the time out to read my rambling and give some useful advice guys.

So reading what you're saying it seems that it is essentially showing you can create things that are suitable for an environment. So props are okay, but you need to be able to create them so they can be used in something like UDK, so module pieces obviously help that a lot.

So I was thinking of maybe making an environment that has already been concepted then. Break that down into manageable tasks, create nice assets for it and put it together in UDK with lights, etc. I've used my free time over the last two months to pick up UDK... just need to get my head around the material editor a bit more. Maybe one or two nice tight scenes that were based on concepts, combined with a few original assets of my own?

And I guess that's a pretty obvious verdict about my portfolio website. How about the "Zoom" portfolio site? It's all HTML5 but feels like Flash. You mentioned no to Flash, but I presume that's because it required Flash and not because of the presentation style?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Wesley wrote: »
    You mentioned no to Flash, but I presume that's because it required Flash and not because of the presentation style?

It's slower to load, runs poorly on some systems, and viewers can't rmb>save pics of your art.
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    Wesley wrote: »
    Hey there folks, I know this type of thread must have been created quite a few times, but if you're able to help me out I'd much appreciate it. Essentially I'm coming out of university in a year from a games design course. Now... I've read plenty of threads about degrees versus self-taught and just having that portfolio - this isn't about that. I'm aware that my degree, in all reality, means very little to these companies and it's all about my portfolio. And this is what this thread is about as well.

Essentially I have no work right now that I'd wanna put into my portfolio - I do have a couple of WIPs that I do want to take to that level, but nothing that far ahead yet. So basically I'm asking about what I should put into my portfolio. I wanna go into environment/prop stuff - I know that's where most of the jobs are and I love working with that kind of stuff now. So what should I make? I have one year, but realistically with other course commitments I have a sixth of that time, to work on 3D portfolio things. What should I focus on? Most people around me are starting on a single environment and are going to try and make it as polished as possible. But then I've seen some really amazing portfolios (especially Scott Homer's) that, although might have an environment, seem to focus on singular things; a really nice vehicle, building, weapon, etc. So is it best to spend time on a big environment or go for "bits"? Going for the latter seems like a much more achievalbe task, letting me focus on showing off certain skills and showing different styles. But without a fully made environment am I screwed?

Also, how much original content and stuff from concepts should I have? In industry surely someone in that area will 99% of the time be working off concepts. So... if I had a portfolio mostly made from other people's concepts would that show them I'm able to do that, or would they just think I have no originality? Truth be told I'd be more comfortable working off concepts because I think I'd get a better quality of work produced in a better time frame. When working off my own stuff I mostly work just in 3D and try to find the form in there, which takes longer. (Side question - when working off other people's concepts, do you guys shoot them an email asking for permission? I presume that's what's done.)

And when it comes to the portfolio itself what I should I be gunning for? I made this website (it's just a HTML version of a Flash version from another portfolio) earlier in the year ready to fill it with final year work). It needs a few things changing but generally I was happy with it. But now I've seen other portfolios and I'm not too sure it's suitable. Those tiles are pretty small on the left and generally people seem to have nice big images even for the previews. I always thought HTML only websites were the best, and now I've seen some great HTML websites such as this which have elements that look similar to a Flash based portfolio but uses HTML5. But is all the moving images and Flash-y stuff still a no go?

Generally I'm pretty confused about everything and not sure what to tackle, afraid it'll be redundant in terms of employment.

Any help, links or great examples of what I should be hitting would be great.

Cheers.

EDIT: Also, I really love the more technical side of 3D. So rigging, MAXScripting, etc. For another module in my final year I was going to concentrate on that sort of thing rather than "game design stuff", because I thought it'd be more useful. Are employers going to give a shit that I've made a bunch of scripts and custom rigs though? Is that a waste of portfolio space?

The problem most studios have with people coming out of 'game' programs is that they very rarely show any area of specialization or focused interest. Too many portfolios and demo reels show a superficial introduction to a wide-range of skillsets: a bit of character modeling, a bit of environment art, scripting, rigging, animation, etc. So it's really good that you know what area of game art you're specifically interested in. Now you just need to build up a portfolio that shows you have the aptitude to do the work and a willingness to learn, practice, and improve. Studios looking for an environment artist generally aren't going to care that you've rigged a character or done a walk cycle. They might care that you have some experience with scripting and aren't completely mystified by it as that type of engineering often falls on the shoulders of environment artists to some degree. If you’ve written MaxScripts that directly improve your workflow for creating environment art, definitely highlight those. But mainly, they're going to want to see solid environment art.

Fresh out of school without any experience, you're very likely going to be asked to take an art test of some sort. Most environment art tests are going to ask you to build a small scene, such as an alleyway, complete with textures, props, lighting, sky-dome, etc. They're going to want to see how you compose a space that's representative but unique, visually appealing, and gameplay friendly. How you utilize props and lighting to flesh it out, and how you technically put those assets together. Be sure to show wireframes, triangle count, your UV maps, your shaders, your texture layers, triangle count, etc. You'll probably want to show the final composed scene in wireframes, textured and unlit, and fully lit renderings.

As for your portfolio, can't go wrong with following that kind of formula for a few scenes. Pick some distinct environments, maybe something from the ancient world, something modern, and something sci-fi. Experiment with some radically different styles from hyper-realism to illustrative and painterly. Focus on building complete scenes, even if it's a very small scene with only one viewing angle, but still shows that you can create everything needed, in an efficient manner, and make it all visually cohesive.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the great advice guys. I've also decided to ditch the plans I had for one of my modules for creating a great rig and using MAXScript. I'll still do some scripting in my spare time, but instead I'll use that module to create an environment. Not really sure how I'm going to pass the module (it's my dissertation module, with emphasis on research, etc.) with creating an environment.

Maybe research architectural styles, infused with genres and how they're used in games and then create my own example. It's essentially thinking of something so I can spend that time creating an environment. And then still create more stuff in my 3D module for my portfolio.

I'll ditch the site I have now. Go with something that isn't contained in frames and requiring the user to click for everything. Actually make use of the scroll wheel. Also I'll wait until I actually have stuff created and try and work things around the actual content.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Ending your final year of school and you don't have anything to show from it?

I hate those fucking schools man. Get crackin' you've got a good amount of catchup to do. Good luck mate.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No sorry, I didn't explain properly. I'm about to go into my final year. I've just finished my placement. So I've now good 12 months (a little less I suppose) to get my stuff done.