Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Small town Environment

First time posting some work on here so a bit nervous but am very much open to any and all feedback that is to come :thumbup:

Essentially what I am going for is to make up a small town/village in the style of the MMO Rift. So sort of a medievalish type of architecture as far as the buildings and texturing go. Right now I have a few things modeled out in a very simple and somewhat bare scene and only the centerpiece, which is a fountain, is currently the only thing thats been textured fully.

So beyond that and a currently WIP texture of one of the houses everything else is bare. So more textures to come with everything of course as well as more things to add.

FountainShots01-1.jpg

HouseShots01.jpg

SceneSoFarShots01.jpg

Replies

• Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    I'm interested XD

Try to watch ur UV tiling/ texture stretching. I would probably also extrude those beams that you are showing in the texture. I think you''ll be able to stay semi-low poly even with that :) The fountain looks interesting, keep going~

PS.
    Try and post a city lay-out or reference perhaps? showing ur workflow right off the bat will give everyone a better idea of what ur trying to accomplish
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    First up that struck me is too many 90 degree or less angles to some of the larger shapes giving it a very boxy feel. Don't be afraid to add more polies to help give the shapes some character and unevenness. If you have a look at some houses in game you will see most will try not to use straight lines if possible. Convex and concave shapes are provaliant, even if it is only very slight.

If you are making a town I would recommend whiteboxing it all up first in udk with brushes or meshes. That way you can setup the town with a good use of space :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Use closer shots. Your shots now make the pieces feel like tiny models or something. Which is fine for RTS art. But MMO style you should be able to get closer and have the buildings hold up a bit.
  • Varsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input thus far. I am currently re working my models by adding some more polies to them as suggested as well as threw together a quick layout of how Id like the small village to be set up. Will for sure throw up a simple boxed version in udk to get a feel of the sizing and scale.

I have also included some screen caps for reference of what I am going for as suggested. Now the quick layout is still a bit bare as I am still kind of throwing around a few ideas of placement of objects such as shops or clutter like stacked crates for example. So it is subject to some changes as I work it out a bit more.

SceneLayout.jpg

RefShots01.jpg
  • Varsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just posting up a small WIP update. Have been caught up at work the past week so haven't had as much down time as I would have liked thus far to work on this but just wanted to keep you all up to speed with where its at right now.

Right now still creating some more buildings as well as adding more details to these current ones. Started to plan out my scene in UDK with just some simple boxes to get the scaling correct for what Im shooting for. Still have about 3 more buildings to make then will proceed onto smaller shops and props from there.

BuildingWip3_01.jpg
    BuildingWip1_01.jpg
    BuildingWip2_01.jpg
    FountainWip1_01.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    well done :)

I think the stairs on that one house could use some dedfinition between the stairs themselves andthe block they are resting on. Perhaps a wooden beam like in the reference :) keep it up!
  • Varsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty here is my recent progress on another building. just needs a few more elements added to it and the beginnings of the pub. Not much to really show on the pub as of yet but trying a few different things with it.

Like with the others Im more or less getting the main structures of these down then adding the smaller elements to it to bring them out more :). So expect another few updates of some of the other ones you have seen soon with some more elements added to them as well as fixes.

House3_ShotsAO.jpg
    House3_ShotsWire.jpg
    PubShot01.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    This is coming along nicely! Remember to push your silhouette! Also I still notice some of the straight cross beams (like for the gutters) are still dead straight. If you look at your ref, even those are all saggy and laden looking.
  • Varsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little bit overdue for this next update sorry about that. So more or less finished up the pub still deciding if I want to add a few more things to it or just place some set dec in areas that dont have windows or beams. Also still tweaking the beams and wood planks to vary so they aren't all straight and boring looking :)

PubAO_01.jpg
    PubWire_01.jpg

Also stated working on the final building for the small town before moving onto the smaller objects and set dec that will fill the scene. This will be the blacksmiths building. I am liking the bottom so far but might lose that canopy and change the top to something different. Still keeping the bottom open to where all the blacksmithing tools and accessories are viewable.

Buidlign5_Wire_01.jpg
  • Miller02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey just wanted to point out your stone floor on your fountain. The normals looked to be flipped. The stone looks lower than the drit in between. Every thing else looks pretty good. Would love to see the finished shots.:thumbup:
  • Varsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apologies for this tread becoming quiet for a while there. Lots has been going on not only at work but also on me end. But now I am back :) Firstly while I have been away from this tread I had a chance to site down and re evaluate how I should approach doing this. That being said I will be doing these buildings one at a time from start to finish before moving onto the next. Sort of a progression track from one model to the next as opposed to trying to work on all of them at the same time.

Alright enough chatting out of me then hehe. Have a few shots of the first high res house I will be working to completion here. I do feel I could add a few more little things to it for sure but as it stands right now I would say its a pretty good start.

HighRez01.jpg
    HighRez02.jpg
    HighRez03.jpg
    HighRez04.jpg

as always any feedback is always welcome