Home Technical Talk

Maya how do you Create this shader, help plz

I'm trying to create this kind of shader for the building, but I cant get the exact the same as the photo even close, anyone here is good in shader and texture with maya?

regards

Replies

• mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Are you able to use mental ray? Or are you sticking with Maya's shaders? This shouldn't be too hard. I'd use a blinn, even though this has a very low specular quality, it still has some. Use your favorite art program to sample the color and get the RGB value. Plug that into the diffuse color for a rough start (might have to adjust based on specularity blowing it out).
  • Visceral
    I would say that most of this is inthe lighting. the material itself is not complex at all.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Do you mean the shading of it or the texture of it? I can't see any problems of using a Blinn.
  • dubai3d
    I would like to use Maya mental ray or shader, i'm fine with both. the important is how can I get close to this texture or shader, I tried blinn it comes out very solid and yellowish , looks bit Cartoonish , I'm sure its shader or mentalray , so I need help here , someone who can explain bit more how to do it, any link, web, tutorials would be great,

plz if you know something say something, or if you have the shader plz forward it to me.

regards
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    It would help if you post your current results.
    There are no elements to that building that cannot be accomplished with a simple blinn shader and proper lighting and textures.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Did you play around with the settings? As Vailias said, a simple shader and a few changes in the setting here and there should get it done.

Did you play around with the glossiness? Do you have Spec maps? What is your Diffuse like? Do you have Raytracer enabled? Did you try out the Mental Ray shaders which come prepacked (such as Arch and Design).

In my case, I would simply copy the textures, apply to the model as diffuse and set up a skylight with raytracer and call it a day if it's a draft.
  • dubai3d
    That is so far I came up with.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Your very close. I would reduce the size of your bump map. its much to coarse.
    Aside from that you need to make a tiling texture to match the criss cross decorative lines on the building and the Grid pattern. if you had those it would look much much closer.

Reducing the reflectivity of the matertial a bit and upping the roughness of the diffuse should also help.
  • dubai3d
    thanks Fletch, its looks bit close, but I'm still not happy with it,

about bumpmap size, when I change to smaller size its disappears when i zoom out and render it. look very solid color,

what you mean with tilling the texture? can you explain more with details please, any link?

regards
  • user38
    if it's not an animation you can always add those bump details in post.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Final gather will help with your results also.