Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Quarentined Street Scene [UDK]

Greetings Polycount! I've been lurking around these forums for far, far too long.

I decided it was time to post something up...

This started out as an experiment with some vertex painting and other misc material work, and I ended up turning it into a scene:

pc_street_1.jpgpc_street_2.jpgpc_street_3.jpg

Crits, comments, suggestions, thoughts, & life stories are more than welcome!

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too dark.

Your graffiti is so bright it almost seems to glow.

DOF seems a little strong in the background.

Whats up with the wall that looks like its in the middle of the street? It seems wierd that there would be a curb, then street that is too narrow for even 1 lane of traffic, then a brick wall.

Looks pretty cool overall. I really dig all the garbage, etc.. on the sidewalk.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Some parts of the building are too dark and we can't see the details. The sidewalk looks a bit too clean for that kind of environment.
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't say it's just the graffiti that's too bright. The red of the bricks and those plants up on that balcony are also really saturated. I feel like the "Liquor" sign is a pretty good standard for the maximum saturation in those other colors.
  • IanTSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Color balance seemed to be the overall issue. Now is when I feel that the parameters I set up for every material are a saving grace, it made adjusting things very easy. I'd give UDK a hug if I could.

pc_street_4.jpg

Just one image right now, working on some more trash bits at some point this evening.

As for the wall down the middle of the street, it's a type of modular cement wall, kind of what is used in parts of Israel, albeit smaller. The road also widens at the bottom of the scene, not so apparent in the first images, I'll make sure that is visible from now on

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    you have to focus on the contrast right now, like some parts are dark yet washed out? but the scene it self looks good.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Try adding a really low brightness Skylight to stop the really high contrast between washed out and massively dark spots. (usually 0.075 brightness are enough to lift the whole scene)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha... I guess I've been animating too much lately, I ready the title as "Quaternion street scene" which is what brought me in there, what the hell is a Quaternion street scene, heh.

Now that I'm here, it looks pretty. I think the lighting and fog could use some work. The plants on the balcony are kind of weird, is that ivy? Also a few dead sprigs of grass goes a long way in making something desolate. The plant life you do have is young, green and just beginning to grow?

Also some of the graffiti is very vibrant (DIE) and doesn't blend into the brick that well, it looks pretty, MS Painted on... It's pretty thin and doesn't take the surface of the brick into account, so it almost looks like a neon sign?

Love those garage doors and the liquor sign, the opened utility box is pretty cool too.
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good. Nice prop placement and the overall feels is nice.
    Some crits though:

I think your foliage and brick textures could use some desaturation. They don't seem to blend well with the rest.
    Also its hard to read/see whats going on on the left side. Could be the camera angle and the fact its a tad dark.

Good stuff though. Keep it up !
  • IanTSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update! Added some "old growth" shrubs, messed with the lighting & fog a bit. Pushed out the modular barriers, now it's a curve from the corner of the building, instead of an "L" shape. Added in a low skylight... next is some details on the balcony, and more trash pieces. I want trash to be piled up along the base of the barriers... soon!

Here's where it stands now:

pc_street_5.jpg
  • ev149
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got some weird lines showing up on your sky for some reason. I'd try tinting your scene a cool color to fit in with the theme.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    look like z fighting- You've got a nice scene, well populated etc but what makes it quarantined? currently looks like any back alley downtown.
  • Pixelz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelz polycounter lvl 9
    loving this !!
  • IanTSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sky-Lines fixed, added a pair of guard towers, to emphasize that the point of view is from inside the quarantined zone. Added some more litter, cans/paper/bottles. Added trim to the foreground building's roof, added roof details, antenna/vent. Tweaked lighting. Worked on some better vertex painting for the modular walls and street.

pc_street_6.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    you should do something about that ms-paint looking graffiti. to my knowledge theres no better way to replicate an aerosol/marker look than with actual photos.
  • ev149
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    you should do something about that ms-paint looking graffiti. to my knowledge theres no better way to replicate an aerosol/marker look than with actual photos.
    A quick Google search reveals plenty of Photoshop graffiti tutorials.
  • IanTSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better graffiti shall be my next amendment to this project then!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    For the graffiti, you can take some pictures from CGTextures too and overlay them on your walls.
  • IanTSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay... been working on some graffiti, and making it blend better with textures. Not sure which one I prefer, A or B.... thoughts?

pc_street_graffiti.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    google image search graffiti or graffiti alphabet- both return some very helpful reference. I know you could spend a lifetime trying to perfect a graffiti style but you could stand to do a study or two. Additionally the current grafiti you have looks disjointed. The top is supposed to be sprayed but the bottom may or may not be stencil? I'd just relook at this element a little harder.

additionally look at bad graffiti as in just th everyday crap that ends up on bus stops and pay phones.