Home Technical Talk

Paneling on Hard Surface Objects: Is this a good way to go about doing it?

I am working on a helicopter that has numerous panels all throughout the body of the plane.

At the moment I am cloning topology from the original base mesh and using that to float paneling on top of the model. This way each panel conforms to the shape of the helicopter since its using the original base mesh and has its own independent topology. Is this a good approach for this instance?

Reference:
panelingpicture.jpg

Cloning parts of the base mesh to create panels from:
paneling.png

Replies

• leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
    I've had a lot of headaches modeling body panels onto army vehicles (airplanes and tanks). I've tried to model it, and I know that approach is encouraged by a lot of people, but I've found the hassle to be MUCH more than it's worth.

What I like to do is:
    • Reproject the reference textures back onto the model from side, top, front angles, and bake them into 3 separate maps.
    • In photoshop, composite the maps so as to keep only the undistorted portions (side panels on the side view, etc).
    • Trace the panels so that each panel is on it's own layer.
    • Run an action script which creates a pair of Bevel layer effects (a few people have examples listed elsewhere). I run the action on each layer (there can be a lot of them... you may want to automate this...).
    • Flatten them out into a single normal map.
    This can be pretty tedious, but I've found that it's a lot less hassle than trying to wrap body panels around the entire mesh. Also, once you get the process of adding effects to each layer modified, you can easily add other effects. I added one for rivets around the edge of each body panel, scratches on the edges of each panel, etc. That way you're taking that opportunity to add a lot more detail into your mesh that you wouldn't have to hand-model otherwise.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    You can also use a plugin like 'wrap it' to model panels directly onto the surface. I do a mix of what your describing and for more complex stuff i surface snap
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use a combination of techniques for this, first I use basically the same technique you described but I also use the paint deformations ( in the graphite modeling tools) to conform pieces to the existing mesh. Works really nice for most things.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    the only time it's really ever worth it to model in panel lines is if you're hugely autistic, or just want to impress with your d0pe azz modeling skillz. in those cases, yeah, what you described is how i do it. model a solid base mesh, then just clone the panel polys out using the face normals constraint and apply a shell modifier to the new object for thickness. it does the job and once you get the hang of it, it also becomes a lot less tedious.

however in production it's way, wayyy easier to just photoshop them like leechdemon mentioned.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    or you can use zbrush/mudbox.

It's even possible to create brushes that automatically put in a line of bolts while you paint in a panel line.

I personally have modeled in panels, done them in photoshop, used conform in max, and used mudbox. So it's very situational.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    If you dont have proper othro references, found bodypaint or any viewport painting app useful for painting on the actual model then exporting that map out to fix in photoshop.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Why don't you use the Ribbins random select of the faces, clone them to object and shell them? And manually clone bigger parts, and overlay the smaller parts over the bigger ones to save time?

I mean lets be frank, not even in real-life vehicles and planes have a preset guide on how to exactly create a set of panels stitched together correctly, you can even see in the helicopter image you posted, many parts are kind of overlapping, smaller panels over bigger ones.

No one will notice, nor cut your hand for that, let alone in games...games tend to create a small panel texture, and tile.

As for nuts and bolts. If you're using Max, here's an idea.

Use swift loop on a part of the mesh you want the bolts to follow. Select that new line and do Extract Shape.

Download the script OBJ2Spline http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/obj2spline-align

Tag the a model of the bolt to it, and align in on the spine. Control and the number and such, voila, done. Instant lines of bolts.

Or you could use this: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/get-in-line-may-9-2011

Create two boxes, select them, tag your bolt and have it line up, still works.

Just don't forget to instance the bolts...trust me.
  • sprunghunt
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    sprunghunt wrote: »

Tried using them, couldn't get my head around it. My objects dissipate when I move the viewport around, and can only bring them back if I click one of the dials on the box.

It's powerful, and the same as OBJ2Spline, but in terms of friendliness and logic, it sure does lack alot.