Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DSHK Mounted Machine Gun WIP

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
dproeder polycounter lvl 5
I've been sitting on this model for about 4 months. I need to get high detail sculpts on it and get it textured. I've laid down all the UVs for each part, So I can work in Zbrush or CS5.

I'm thinking do most of my base textures in zbrush, then do some fine texture detail in CS5.

Then go into topogun to remesh, and bake the normals, AO, and color texture.

dshk_001_full.jpg
gun_wip_1.jpg

gun_wip_2.jpg

uv.jpg

Replies

• CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    did i miss something... why would you uv map and texture the above if your going to remesh it anyways? i dont know much about topogun but im guessing it optimizes your model - which means your uv's get changed anyways.. so wouldn't you then have to re-map everything? and for textures, i don't think i have seen anyone texture a high poly if there making a low poly from it, but then again i don't know what features topogun includes
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to be able to use it as a high poly asset for cinematics/pre rendered footage. Normally, I would just decimate a high poly sculpt then remesh it.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    ohhhh ok, now it all makes sense
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to start baking this down to a low poly mesh. I started tonight....and I have a lot of work ahead of me. I wasn't modeling for the low poly mesh when I started. So I am going to have to remodel quite a bit. I'm thinking making a log of problems I face and ways I solved them. Like mini lessons on this whole process. I might be taking a teaching job soon, soooo good lesson planning practice.

What kind of polycount should I be looking at with this thing?
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    dproeder wrote: »
    I am going to start baking this down to a low poly mesh. I started tonight....and I have a lot of work ahead of me. I wasn't modeling for the low poly mesh when I started. So I am going to have to remodel quite a bit. I'm thinking making a log of problems I face and ways I solved them. Like mini lessons on this whole process. I might be taking a teaching job soon, soooo good lesson planning practice.

What kind of polycount should I be looking at with this thing?

I think the DshK in Metro 2033 is under 2.5-3k, and it's the best damn looking depiction of the gun I've seen in a game.

Metro2033_2010-08-24_19-19-06-84.png

Actually, on closer look, it's probably closer to 2 or 2.5k (not counting the searchlight and temp gauges some of them have mounted). Not sure what they may have used on it in the way of tessellation mapping, I know Metro has that capability and uses it on some assets in DX11 mode. I think they may have also snuck in a higher-poly hero version for a couple of setpieces, like the Nazi railcar chase, Cursed Station, and a few other spots.