Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dumpster - Newbie to the 3D world

Why Hello there Polycount! This shall be my first of hopefully many threads on here. So a bit of background is in order.

I want to become an Environment artist one day. I am quite new to the 3D world but I have read a few tutorials already. The things I struggle with the most is texturing and only recently have I actually learnt how to do normal maps. (Thanks to this very forum <3 )

ENOUGH RAMBLING! Time for some picturezzzz :3
Be gentle.

dumpsternormao.jpg

Replies

• polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, so far so good. You might want to show some wires. Here's the deal, I have been on polycount for about 6 months now, and I personally have seen 100's of dumpsters. I believe its all because of this Tutorial.And its a good tut, but seeing the same thing over and over gets old. Here is my advice, take the knowledge you have from doing this model and model something different. Model and Xbox or speakers or maybe even a microwave, and I am sure you will get more responses.

Good luck
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I see.. Well thank you for the reply and advice :)
    When I have time I will start on another object.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    looks ok sofar, but iv seen a few hundred dumpsters too, that look exactly the same, if your going to do things like a dumpster, or mailbox or something like that you should look around your city and use one of the ones from your area as reference, or use elements from it.

also i think you could use some more, geometry on the front, that inset is too big to read well on a normal map, especially with the 90deg angle, so your best off using real geo or giving the inset a softer angles so the normal map can pick it up.