Home Technical Talk

AO leaves a slight halo around a lot of things

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Serp polycounter lvl 17
I've always had this in my models. I believe I made the ao for this in Max.

gunhalo3.jpg
gunhalo1.jpg
gunhalo2.jpg

Replies

• Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    One good question is: Are you baking the AO from your high poly or from your normal mapped asset. Right now the shading looks to be following the normal mapping, and at those points the normals point out of the groove, and so will be less occluded than their neighbors pointing toward the obstruction.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If those areas are along UV seams, you might need to add some more padding to the bake.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    AO doesnt pick up back facing geometry. you can see the parts that suffer from the problem are where there is overlapping geometry. If you look at your map you will see that areas which are covered by overlaps are white. since the map is low res the white bleeds out. adding bleed wont fix this.

I usually paint over these when i see them. If your using light tracer i think you can set the material to 2 sided in the material editor and it fixes the problem.

perhaps this pic will clarify
    AO_BackFacing.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    AO doesnt pick up back facing geometry. you can see the parts that suffer from the problem are where there is overlapping geometry. If you look at your map you will see that areas which are covered by overlaps are white. since the map is low res the white bleeds out. adding bleed wont fix this.

I usually paint over these when i see them. If your using light tracer i think you can set the material to 2 sided in the material editor and it fixes the problem.

perhaps this pic will clarify
    AO_BackFacing.jpg

Yeah, this is certainly the issue.
  • Serp
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Wow thanks. You guys are awesome.