Home Unreal Engine

Big building model in UDK

Fellow members,

This my first forum post here... For starters, Im a Computer science student at the University of Amsterdam, 21 years old, nice to meet you all ;p

Ive been able to get my hands on a google sketchup of out University building ( including materials an interior ) roughly that is..

Ive been trying all afternoon to get this model in the UDK ,
Thusfar ive tried to Export the model to a ASE file, and import it into UDk, this works,
except that all faces seem messed up, just randomly imploded

in sketchup i can export it to , 3DS and FBX
in 3dsmax i can export it to ASE FBX ...

Ive also encounterd the problem, that whenever i tried to import the file into UDk that it wasnt a complete model, but all items were added seperate to the content browser..

Hope ive given enough information,

greetings,

Rowan

Replies

• scottellison92
    Hello Rowan,

With the imploding faces, do you mean the faces just turn invisible?
    as this could be a problem with some of the faces in your model being inside out, in that case you wold have to take your model back to your modeling program and flip the faces ( i only know how to do this in blender.)

As for it being separate meshes when imported make sure it is a single mesh in your program join all the separate parts together so it is one big editable mesh then re import ( if they arn't udk will import them as separate meshes as your problem seems to be )

Hope this helps good luck
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    Can you show us a pic? You could try reseting it's xform before exporting.
  • reality4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How many triangles has your mesh? UDK has a limit of 65000 if I remember correctly, above that your mesh gets messed up.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    also if it is consistent with other engines i've used, it is the vertex count that cannot exceed ~65,000. This number will fluctuate depending on several factors such as smoothing groups, and holes in the mesh.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    reality4 wrote: »
    How many triangles has your mesh? UDK has a limit of 65000 if I remember correctly, above that your mesh gets messed up.

Just tested and this isn't true, but what I did find is that if it is over this and your verts are quite close to each other it starts to mess them up quite badly. conversely if your model is 'LARGE' it tends to mess it all up as well, it's not just necessarily the tricount.
  • FadesEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've got a feeling without seeing a picture the issue is smoothing groups. I do a lot of work from Max to UDk, you need to assign smoothing groups to surfaces as you logically would have them in any other program. Its easy to find a tutorial on youtube on smoothing groups.
  • reality4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    Just tested and this isn't true

Then that must have been an older version or I'm mixed up with another engine!

Another thing that helps me in inexplicable cases of corrupt imports is first exporting the mesh as an OBJ from 3DSMax and then reimporting it in 3DSMax.

Somehow the OBJ exporter/importer sets something straight that I cannot achieve with the normal tools.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    it's a limit of 65000 verts and if you have verts that are too close together you can disable remove degenerate triangles on import
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    65000 verts limit is for UT3 and for UDK beta before February 2011.
    Since february :
    UDK now supports 32-bit index buffers for skeletal meshes which have more than 65,535 vertices.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80995