Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TV Stand Model

I've started off a few projects as I learn 3ds Max, UDK and game modelling but this is the first model I've finished so far. I wanted to build something reasonably simply but with some detailing and opted to model my oak TV stand.

I built a high poly and baked down onto my game ready 230 tri model. Texturing was done using photo references of wood layered and positioned as closely to the real life TV stand.

Here's the final result. I'm pretty much done I think but if there's anything you'd recommend changing please let me know.

The first 3 images are from 3ds Max with the Xoliu Shader and 2048 texture.

The 4th image is from UDK Editor and is using the 1024 texture.

The last two show my diffuse and spec textures.

TV%20Stand%20LP%2BTEX.jpg

TV%20Stand%20LP%2BWIRE.jpg

TV%20Stand%20LP%2BWIRE2.jpg

TVstandUDK.jpg

TVStandDiffuse.jpg

TVStandSpec.jpg

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I like it. I wonder how it would look if it had like a shiny varnish finish
  • [SF]Three9
    i think it looks great and i agree with alberto, a nice little gloss would make it look awesome :D

I do, however, think the back of your desk is wrong. I suppose you could build it that way, but I'm pretty sure most desks with long sections like the back are either going to be larger, longer pieces of wood, or be that thin cardboard stuff that would be tacked on
  • nevets2001uk
    Thanks. Yes I agree it needs to look more glossy. It does look a bit better when moving as the spec shows up better but I'm not sure how to improve it much more than I have. I've now tweaked the spec map and shader settings. To demonstrate here's a brief screen capture of the model in max.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmOZ8RgxRAY[/ame]
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    I do, however, think the back of your desk is wrong. I suppose you could build it that way, but I'm pretty sure most desks with long sections like the back are either going to be larger, longer pieces of wood, or be that thin cardboard stuff that would be tacked on

This is a solid oak stand and the back is pretty close to this in real life. It's cheaper cuts of oak on the back with no finish but there are solid boards. I doubt it would ever be seen from the back in game to be honest.