Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Quadpod

So i'm working on a game with 2 friends where you have sci-fi fantasy and "now-time" all mixed somehow and since we didnt get ahead even a little (in about 5 months all i made was a grenade... and everybodys like "yaaay" -.-) i decided to start with one of the enemys: an evil alien quadpod that loses its legs when damaged enough and do a kamikaze fly attack on the player.
So here's what i made until now in about one hour.
render1g.png
render2.png
i know having no reference is a no-go but i think i can risk going on without one for this guy :)

I'd be happy for any tips or crits you can give me^^

Replies

• [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIGSOG wrote: »
    i know having no reference is a no-go but i think i can risk going on without one for this guy :)

wrong :x
    Even if it's a crude concept you really should have something to refer to. Is this going to be a normal mapped character? If not you're way too high poly. Even if you smoothed it just to render, that's pointless because it will never look like this

your leg joint starts are so small I'm pretty sure it will be believable that that huge head will be supported by any legs, and even if you make the legs large enough, those connecting segments are so small that the weight of his head will never be lifted off the ground by them. I know he isn't stylized from how he looks, so with the implication that he's suppose to be realistic, it just won't work

are those indents eyes? detail in his body? pores? The bottom of him looks mechanical in nature, so is he a robot? organic? biomechanical?

I really feel like more consideration should be put into the use of this character and how he specifically functions. I'm also confused as to why his bodyless head would fly at you. It sounds cool as an idea, but with what's been presented so far it doesn't make sense

not trying to be rude, research is just very important. I used to model out of my head and never used reference, and the single best thing I ever did for my modeling and texturing quality was to *always* use reference. Regardless if it's fantasy or stylized, anything and everything you do can be enhanced with some kind of reference
  • BIGSOG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    wrong :x
    Even if it's a crude concept you really should have something to refer to. Is this going to be a normal mapped character? If not you're way too high poly. Even if you smoothed it just to render, that's pointless because it will never look like this
    i have a concept i made in PS in about 2 secs just to get some proportions right.does that count? :D and yeah of course its the high poly im not totally new to gamedesign. lowpoly is aimed for about 2k tris
    your leg joint starts are so small I'm pretty sure it will be believable that that huge head will be supported by any legs, and even if you make the legs large enough, those connecting segments are so small that the weight of his head will never be lifted off the ground by them. I know he isn't stylized from how he looks, so with the implication that he's suppose to be realistic, it just won't work
    saw that problem too and decided to add some kind of box where the head is fixed on
    are those indents eyes? detail in his body? pores? The bottom of him looks mechanical in nature, so is he a robot? organic? biomechanical?
    It's supposed to be some kind of machinery coated with organic stuf. The indents are (since its a piloted thing) windows or something not sure about the final outcome
    I really feel like more consideration should be put into the use of this character and how he specifically functions. I'm also confused as to why his bodyless head would fly at you. It sounds cool as an idea, but with what's been presented so far it doesn't make sense
    it's gonna get turbines just for that purpose on the left and right of the lower back part
    not trying to be rude, research is just very important. I used to model out of my head and never used reference, and the single best thing I ever did for my modeling and texturing quality was to *always* use reference. Regardless if it's fantasy or stylized, anything and everything you do can be enhanced with some kind of reference

Thanks for your critique, thats just what i wanted :D i think i should have said a little more about this .. "thing" :)

EDIT: oh yeah and i added gatlings to that monster just to get some boom in there :D
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are not going for a particular concept I guess best decision is to make rough block out of proportions to get the idea of basic shape...

Also: every time i make some shit up without proper concept I end up setting it on fire and throwing through the window. :(
  • BIGSOG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh well maybe ill just take my time and draw some (real) concept art when i have more time. thursday perhaps.

I already got useable ideas for the legs (i'll make them using splines i guess) but i just can't think of a good "lower body" part and maybe ill rework the neck into something more bendable.
  • BIGSOG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i continued working on it today and started making the legs also i decided to use it as a boss enemy not a regular one as i first planned because i want to put a little more detail in this one. Right now its made of 20 parts summing up 700k polys. im not sure how many polys i can use for the lowpoly one if the scene is relatively simple and using 1024 textures(Diffuse, specular, Height and normalmap) for the boss so i'd be happy if anyone could answer me this :)
    renderg.jpg
    render1x.png
    render2h.png
    render3a.png
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...i know im using turbosmooth too much but it makes everything so... nice and smooth :D
    Oh and im probably gonna rework the Head and body parts a little since they have those big undetailed surfaces(=wasted texture space on the lowpoly) so thats not final
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Head too big, legs to short and actually I have hard time imagining them working fine. I am confuse.
  • BIGSOG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -.- ok. like i said i'll rework the head. whats so bad about the legs? most people i asked said they are the best part of the model
  • BIGSOG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lil update:
    renderod.jpg
    render1um.png
    render2tm.png
    render3r.png
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

not much i know i'm just having so little time lately T_T