Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MAC-11/ Grenades WIP

Please Critique anything you see that I can change. It's for my portfolio.

PICTURE 1 <

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Is there a high poly model? Most companies making games wth guns will require sub-d modeling or an equivalent.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    What's it's goal for your portfolio? It's neither high or low poly and it's untextured... Might want to decide on what it is you want from the piece.
  • Nick-A-D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it's supposed to be a higher detailed Low poly model for a game. And it has no textures for the simple fact that its still a WIP...............
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    I'm an amateur so take this with a grain of salt.

Useful tip I learned on PC over the years: Look at the concussion grenade "mid-riff" and then look at the base of the spoon attachment thingy - notice that the bigger and more prominent curve is blockier than the smaller and less visible curve? You might wanna switch that around.

Some more inconsistency in where you're putting your mesh density. The strap plate around the barrel, where a player is less likely to see it instead of the collapsible stock, which would be highly visible. Safety and the front end of the forward sights.

Also, you might be better off going with normals for the two parallel grooves along the MAC as well as the grooves on the "charging handle."

Once again, I'm a complete nobody and think they look damn fine except for the grenade which does suffer even in a purely visual sense from the mesh density issue.
  • Nick-A-D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, you're not a nobody dude, I appreciate all critiques and comments and I appreciate yours. I understand you comment but I'm going to school at The Art Institute of Vancouver and I've learned that textures hide a lot of things (like what you said about the grenade) They are supposed to be "game model" type models. That's why they don't have supporting edges or anything like that. Anyway, I'll take your comments into consideration. Thanks again
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Nick-A-D wrote: »
    Haha, you're not a nobody dude, I appreciate all critiques and comments and I appreciate yours. I understand you comment but I'm going to school at The Art Institute of Vancouver and I've learned that textures hide a lot of things (like what you said about the grenade) They are supposed to be "game model" type models. That's why they don't have supporting edges or anything like that. Anyway, I'll take your comments into consideration. Thanks again

well they're obviously not teaching you correct information. The stuff you've modeled is kinda useless for both CG and game art. It's too high poly for game art and too blocky for CG. What you should do is make a proper high polygon subdivided model, then make a low poly model (leaving out details like small circles and soft chamfers that can be represented on the high poly) and bake normal maps from the high to the low. The result is a much lower polygon model than what you've posted, but with more detail and smoothed out edges.

Also, you've modeled those two ridges on the Mac 11 as indents when they're actually ridges. Ignore what the guy said about normal mapping them, if this is an FPS gun (which it looks like it is) it'll look painfully fake if you leave it out of the low poly model.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am self taught and still learning. But here is my thoughts. Don't waste your time on these medium poly models. Focus on low poly and high poly models then anything in between will be easy.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I am self taught and still learning. But here is my thoughts. Don't waste your time on these medium poly models. Focus on low poly and high poly models then anything in between will be easy.

Exactly, you might wanna make a blockout model, but medium poly stuff is useless really.
  • Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    well they're obviously not teaching you correct information. The stuff you've modeled is kinda useless for both CG and game art.

Not true.
    While it's standard to bake your models, it is not necessary all the time(look at Valve games)
    These would be good for vfx imo. So no, they're not useless for "CG".
    You could optimize that model a bit in places there are some useless vertextes.

Other guys are right tho, if you wanna have pro portfolio you need to follow standard procedures. I see you're kinda new to modeling so any practice is good at this point ;)