Home Unreal Engine

Strange Normals using a Material Instance

tharle
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tharle polycounter lvl 9
ok so i'm getting this really strange result when trying to use a normal map in a material instance:

NormalIssue2.jpg
NormalIssue1.jpg

the material on the right is just the normal map plugged into the normal slot as usual and works fine. the one of the left is a 2d parameter plugged into the normal and then uses the same normal map. the weird lighting is happening along the uv map edges but i cant see any reason why! this isnt the first mesh i used the master material instance on and i didnt have any issues with the first?

any thoughts people?

Replies

• mbullister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mbullister polycounter lvl 18
    The texture in your param2d looks incorrect-- it looks like it was imported as a standard texture in the 0 - 1 range, instead of a normal texture in the -1 - 1 range like it should have been. Make sure that TC_normalmap or TC_normalmapAlpha is selected in the texture's compression settings, that sRGB is unchecked and that the min and max unpack are correct.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    yes! thanks that worked - i'd checked those values before but apparently the build of udk i'm using doesnt actually register that things have changed unless you reinport.

thanks