Home Technical Talk

3ds max export to zbrush

I have a character I want to export into zbrush, the character is made up of the main body and two eyes. They are all seperate objects: is there a way to export all three and have the two eyes be subtools? nothing is textured yet.

Replies

• user38
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    export all meshes as an .obj file in max, then import it into zbrush. Once in you have the first tool in under the subtool pallet down at the bottom append the remaining subtools.
  • caubebutchi
  • user38
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you have all your objects together as one mesh before you export them? perhaps I'm not following something. bring in each object you want on it's own in it's own obj. Let me know if this clears anything up.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I just split each element as it's own obj file (some exporters allow this automatically). Then using zbrush's SubTool Master plugin, I use 'Multi Append' which lets you import all the objects and append them as subtools all at once.

Otherwise, you could split the mesh into polygroups in zbrush. They eyes are most likely their own island, so they should get their own polygroups. You can also use UVs to control them. Once you have polygroups assigned you can isolate the ones you want to merge, you can 'split hidden' in the subtool sub palette.

Edit: Just did a small test with a cube and a sphere, and you might not even have to go through the extra click of creating polygroups. Ctrl+Shift+clicking an element was enough to isolate it.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    ^^^^^^ Yes, definetly this

and if the autogroups doesn't perfectly, just slap on some quick UV's (if you don't already have them) making sure that each desired subtool has its one UV island, and then just make polygroups from UV