Home Technical Talk

Help clipping geometry?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey guys!

So I'm currently making a model of a plane where I've finished making the exterior and now I'm trying to block in the floors and walls. My problem is making it so they don't jut out through the fuselage...
plane_01.jpg
plane_02.jpg

For the main corridor, I just used boolean to carve away the excess geometry but the same process wouldn't work for the nose and tail... I'm guessing because there's too many different angles?

Anyone have any suggestions on an easy way I could get the inside geometry to constrain to the shape of the fuselage?

Thanks!

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    it looks like you have a bunch of open edges on the objects you want to boolean. Generally booleans don't like this. You could try closing those up and booleaning again.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sprung. Yeah I didn't use the actual model of the plane for the boolean... what I did was created an inverted version of the fuselage (solid block with the shape of the plane carved out of it) and then did a boolean with that. Like I said, it worked for the main corridor cause it was simply a tube, but the nose and tail didn't work at all. I'm hoping to find a solution that doesn't involve boolean.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Thanks Sprung. Yeah I didn't use the actual model of the plane for the boolean... what I did was created an inverted version of the fuselage (solid block with the shape of the plane carved out of it) and then did a boolean with that. Like I said, it worked for the main corridor cause it was simply a tube, but the nose and tail didn't work at all. I'm hoping to find a solution that doesn't involve boolean.

Well the other way is to just cut around the edge with vertex snap turned on.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    too time consuming. I think what I'll possibly do for a work around is make a clone of the fuselage, add some horizontal cuts into it where I want the floors, bridge the edges together and then delete the rest. That way the shape will be identical and the entire plane won't have any unnecessary extra polys from the division.
    Unless anyone else has a better idea?