Home Technical Talk

Art test help

Hi all, i have an art test I am currently working on and one of the instructions have me questioning my approach.

The instruction says "the model will be judged on the cleanliness of the UV's"

the Model however uses 100% tiling textures, (provided by the company) would clean UV's in this case simply mean spreading them out so I don't have 400 shells all in the 0-1 space in Maya? At the moment I have drastically spread out my shells in the UV viewer because I cannot think what else it could mean.

I plan on doing a lightmap set that's nice and organized.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    There's nothing wrong with double checking this with them, but I think it's safe enough to assume they more-so mean 'the model will be judged by proper utilization of UV space and texture requirements.' Just make sure you don't waste space and showing that you can make a bad-ass scene with tiled textures will speak for itself.

Good luck!
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Make sure to keep the UVs consistent in size and texel ratio.
    Make sure everything is unwrapped well with no streaks or squashed/stretched UVs.
    Make sure you are smart about where you have seams.

Even with tiling textures, there are good and bad practices. Just slapping on some Box UVs and calling it done can be pretty sloppy. I'd imagine that is what they are looking for.
  • Xenier
    ok, well, even with tiling textures, I've individually unwrapped each plank and made sure it lined up with the texture, so I hope that's good lol.

well, each plank that was extruded at least