Home Technical Talk

precisely scaling uv coords

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Basically, I want the exact proportions of this map in relation to the top left corner to just be scaled smaller from the bottom right:
howpn.png

I need to do this so I can keep the original horse texture, but also have more space in the map. I need to make sure the original horse texture and the uv coords are both scaled to the top left in max and photoshop to only take up 512x512 instead of the entire 1024x1024

Replies

• mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you hold ctrl, you will constrain proportions on both axis, this is handy for the free form tool (the one that does everything depending on the handle you use in the orange box it displays around your selection). When you hold shift, it will try to stay snapped in the sense that, holding shift and dragging the scale handle Left will keep you from moving up or down.

CTRL+ pixel snapping is what you want, but you need a map there in the UV viewport to be able to use pixel snapping. You can, for example, make the texture or a placeholder that has a 512x512 of your UVs in the top left corner, then use ctrl and scale it right onto the map, pixel snap will help you to be precise, you can select all of the islands, pixel snap their left and top edges to the top and left of your 0-1 space, and then you can ctrl+freeform it right down into the 512x512 square.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Worked great thanks perna.

mortal, that sounds very useful in some other situations I may encounter, thanks!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    wow thats a really neat modifier. never used it before but it definitely comes in handy for making 2x1 maps. :D