Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first attempts at 3D modelling

ZombiePlasticClock
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ZombiePlasticClock polycounter lvl 5
I first picked up Blender two weeks ago, with absolutely no experience in 3D modeling. The reason was that I really wanted to make custom models for the game "Team Fortress 2". That, and the program was free.

Though Blender's interface was daunting, to say the least, a slew of tutorials have helped me make a little bit of sense out of it, and now I take quite a bit of joy out of 3D modeling. So much so that I'm actually considering going to college to study it further.

Which finally brings me to this post: I first heard about this community through Team Fortress, and their "Polycount Update". There were so many high quality creations that I couldn't help but be impressed. But when I went to these forums, I found that it only gets better, and what I've seen here has just blown my mind. I already have a lot of respect for this place, so it would be most appreciated to get some feedback on my first bit of work, so I may hope to improve, and be half as good as anyone here.

Each picture is listed in order of when it was created, from the first model at beginning, to the most recent at the end of the list. They were made in Blender, and are for the most part untextured. (I can't figure out UVWrapping. If anyone can point me to a tutorial, it would be most appreciated)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The Quickdraw" Revolver

TheQuickdraw.png

My very first model, and still my favourite. This was the Team Fortress custom model I wanted to make, and is one I am still working on today. It was designed to be used by the Engineer class, and is largely based on the Colt 1861 Navy, modified into a break-action revolver, and given a more square-ish barrel, similar to more "Wild West" style revolvers.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Hidden Blade, from "Assassin's Creed"

hidden1.png

This model was made a couple days after the Quickdraw, meant to be a way for me to learn more on how Blender works, as to make the Revolver better. It's the eponymous Hidden Blade, from Assassin's Creed. The design is mixed between the first and second games, with the bracer-things from the first game, and the huge Assassin logo and intricate blade design from the second.

Simon Belmont (Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest)

SimonModel.png

This one was made just for fun. Simon Belmont, in all his pixelated glory, from Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest. Originally it was just the sprite, but then I had the idea to add the shield he gets from the "Dracula's Rib" relic, and then finally make the shield 3D, but still look flat from the side. All in all, I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Claimh Solais

ClaimhSolais.png

Continuing the Castlevania projects, this is the Claimh Solais, the most powerful weapon in the games "Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow", and "Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow". It's a holy claymore that features a cross in both games. However, I mixed the design between the two, keeping the blade and handle design from Dawn of Sorrow, and keeping the Cross on the Blade like in Aria of Sorrow. I hope to put this in "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion", as I am really happy with how it turned out. Enough so to ensure it just doesn't collect dust.

The Golden Gun

TheGoldenGun.png

The famous Golden Gun, Francisco Scaramanga's weapon of choice from the film "James Bond 007: The Man with the Golden Gun". I also learned through finding reference images of this weapon that, strangely, it's made of very not-weapon parts. The Body of the gun is a solid gold lighter (with a breech hidden under the cover), the handle is a solid gold cigarette case, the trigger a solid gold cuff link, and the barrel a solid gold fountain pen. Topped off with, you guessed it, a golden bullet. Why is something that sounds so flimsy the deadliest weapon in the world!?

"Nope.mdl"

Nope.jpg

Haha can't really say I made this.. It was actually from when I finally figured out how to import models from Team Fortress. Just a quickie, based on the "Nope.avi" meme. Imported the Engineer's model, with a liberal dose of crazy neck elongation. I'll probably make a hat of this when I learn how to.

The Razor Sword

RazorSword.png

Another video game sword, this time it's the Razor Sword, from "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask". I've always loved the design of this sword, though I always figured the split-blade design would be very flimsy (Most likely the reason the sword had limited uses in the game).

The Konami Justifier

KonamiJustifier.png

A very rough model of the "Konami Justifier", a popular light gun used back in the day for Konami's shooter games. The model is very unpolished, since it was made primarily for me to learn how to get models to work in Team Fortress. It was to be a quickie reskin of the Pistol, but as of this moment, the project is a failiure. I'll keep tinkering with it until I get it right, though!

Luka's Headphones

LukaHeadphones.png

Finally, my most recent project, and not quite finished yet. These are the headphones of Megurine Luka, from the Program "Vocaloid2". Almost finished, but still need to add in details, the mouth piece thinger, and, you guessed it, texturing -_-

Replies

• Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This not really impressive. Always have a lot more realistic reference when 3d modeling things as the proportions are way off, here is some blender tips on smoothing below, and last but least you have ngons(5+ side polygons).

Another way to get used to proportion is to just draw objects you see in daily life. Start on small things like a window and work your way up the bigger object.

Hope these links help you out and good luck. Thanks for being part of the Polycount community.

http://www.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/x2681.html

http://wiki.polycount.com/SubdivisionSurfaceModeling?highlight=%28\bCategoryEnvironmentModeling\b%29

• ZombiePlasticClock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it's not impressive. These are just the first things I've made :P

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for! I knew asking here would be for the best. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Of the two links you sent, the first one is the best. The second just gives a "restricted access" error when I try to click a link. But the first link is just fantastic. Just a cursory glance already helped me learn a few things that would be really helpful. I absolutely mean it when I say you've been a big help. Thanks a lot! It's my pleasure to be part of this community
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out http://cgtuts.com they have some great start to finish tutorials, some geared towards next gen assets.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    People could get a better sense of the proportions of your work if you remembered to turn on "Perspective" when showing a model from something besides an orthographic view, otherwise you get distortion.

Also try and finish everything you start. Take a model to completion using lots of reference, then move on to another one. Hopping quickly from one project to another teaches you nothing but the tools and the interface.

Following a tutorial from start to finish is a good way to start, then branch out and try to finish an original model on your own. Get feedback as you work on it and move on from there.

You show a lot of excitement and energy for modeling - that's good. You can use that to go far if you put the work in. Best of luck.
  • ZombiePlasticClock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People could get a better sense of the proportions of your work if you remembered to turn on "Perspective" when showing a model from something besides an orthographic view, otherwise you get distortion.

Also try and finish everything you start. Take a model to completion using lots of reference, then move on to another one. Hopping quickly from one project to another teaches you nothing but the tools and the interface.

Following a tutorial from start to finish is a good way to start, then branch out and try to finish an original model on your own. Get feedback as you work on it and move on from there.

You show a lot of excitement and energy for modeling - that's good. You can use that to go far if you put the work in. Best of luck.

Huh. I'll keep that in mind. I just like Orthographic much more for work, guess I forgot there were two settings :P

There were two reasons for me doing so many: One was to learn how to do a certain thing I'm stuck on the other model at, without potentially screwing it up. And two because I think it's fun. But yes, I should finish each one.

A lot of nice people on many sites sent me links for tutorials, and I'm trying to take it all in. Hardest thing I've found to do so far is UVWrapping in Blender, but I'll figure it out!

Of course! Thanks for the advice!
    Check out http://cgtuts.com they have some great start to finish tutorials, some geared towards next gen assets.

Wow some of this stuff looks hard. But interesting! It does have Blender stuff, right? Not just Maya and stuff?

EDIT: There's a tutorial to make viewmodels for Team Fortress 2! This will come very much in handy. Thanks for the link!
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Wow some of this stuff looks hard. But interesting! It does have Blender stuff, right? Not just Maya and stuff?
    Modeling methods and techniques are largely the same no matter what program you are using. The only thing that changes are what the tools are called and where the buttons for them are.

Even tutorials from a different program than the one you are using can teach you tips and tricks that universally apply. One of my professors when I was in school even required that we complete tutorials in a different modeling package than the one the person in the tutorial was using, just to prove to us that relying only on tutorials for our chosen package was a crutch.

Speaking of 3D packages and schools, Autodesk is giving away free 3-year student licenses on ALL of their programs to students now. You might want to check the availability and rules, but you might be able to enroll in some cheaper night classes at a community college (maybe some art courses?) and become eligible to get those programs to play around with.
  • ZombiePlasticClock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling methods and techniques are largely the same no matter what program you are using. The only thing that changes are what the tools are called and where the buttons for them are.

Even tutorials from a different program than the one you are using can teach you tips and tricks that universally apply. One of my professors when I was in school even required that we complete tutorials in a different modeling package than the one the person in the tutorial was using, just to prove to us that relying only on tutorials for our chosen package was a crutch.

Speaking of 3D packages and schools, Autodesk is giving away free 3-year student licenses on ALL of their programs to students now. You might want to check the availability and rules, but you might be able to enroll in some cheaper night classes at a community college (maybe some art courses?) and become eligible to get those programs to play around with.

Huh. I guess I didn't think of it like that. I'll continue my perusal, then.

Yeah... gotta be a student first before I can get a student anything XD