Home General Discussion

gamedev company payment

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sauron polycounter lvl 10

Q-- any idea on an average pay? i mean i'd love to model stuff but i still gotta feed myself. i am guessing its pretty crap for first starters...right?

A-- My first job in the industry was as a contract artist. I was paid hourly and I got $12/hr. After 3 months I got a raise to $15/hr. At 9 months I got hired on salary. I started around $32k/yr. Every year I've gotten a raise. I'm now sitting at 5 years experience and I make $45k/yr.
The pay is also representative of where you live, though. I'm in central Oregon and the cost of living is lower here than in Cali or the Seattle area. If I was working at a studio in Seattle, I'd probably be getting a fair bit more than that.

But it costs a lot more to live there too. So it's variable.

http://athey.deviantart.com/art/Game-Industry-Advice4students-145619882

I understand that its different from one to another, but you know... just interesting

Junior 3d modeller/junior character artist including texturing work, what hour salary (is it correct term?) does he have? Include country and local currency please :poly124:

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say $40,000 to $50,000 a year in the US for junior artist.

I believe the april issue of Game Developer Magazine has a more in depth breakdown: link
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, thanks for the link, allso interesting about European countries, Canada and particulary Southeast Asia countries
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say $40,000 to $50,000 a year in the US for junior artist.

I believe the april issue of Game Developer Magazine has a more in depth breakdown: link

$50K for a JUNIOR artist?

Really?

Wow... I had no idea that juniors were paid so much. That's like £30k UK money, there's a lot of people over here who'll never earn that much. Is it comparable here in the UK?
  • Sevv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junior artists in the UK get between £18k - £24k. Artist £24k - £30k. Senior/Lead £32k ish +

That's my experience over the last few years in the industry.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $50K for a JUNIOR artist?

Really?

Wow... I had no idea that juniors were paid so much. That's like £30k UK money, there's a lot of people over here who'll never earn that much. Is it comparable here in the UK?

No wonder so many artists get cut if they're paid that much.

It's depending on area - I was somewhere in the $40k-$50k range when I started and I kind of screwed myself because what was rich for rural Florida was barely breaking even every month in northern VA, I was lucky that my girlfriend was making about the same amount and we split the rent on our 1 bedroom apartment ($1400 a month).
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sevv wrote: »
    Junior artists in the UK get between £20k - £25k. Artist £25k - £30k. Senior/Lead £32kish +

That sounds more like it.

It's depending on area - I was somewhere in the $40k-$50k range when I started and I kind of screwed myself because what was rich for rural Florida was barely breaking even every month in northern VA, I was lucky that my girlfriend was making about the same amount and we split the rent on our 1 bedroom apartment ($1400 a month).

This thread is confusing me... barely breaking even on $50k? That's over $4k a month before tax.

So you could only just afford a $1400 a month apartment with a combined income of $90k +? Am I missing something?
  • Sevv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I adjusted my amounts down a bit actually :)

Junior Artist £18k - £24k. Artist £24k - £30k. Senior/Lead £32k ish +
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    creationtwentytwo: I said I was in the $40k-$50k range, my EA contract specifically said I could not divulge my wages. After about a year my leads said I was getting paid way to low and I got about a $9k increase.

The latest salary survey puts the average artist wage at $71,354 (this includes the whole spectrum of junior to art director)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    creationtwentytwo liveing costs have a lot to do with wages some of the citys these studio are in are dam expensive to live in.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so the minimum is 30k/yr and depends of which company is, and how good are your skills.

Also it would be fantastic if you can say a month room rent and food costs.

And just for fun, my family (3 adult persons) has a salary less than 7k/yr here summary :D, and living costs about 5-6k/yr
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    In Canada, it seems to be 30 - 40k for a junior
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    I am wondering, on freelance, is this real to be a pro(5~ years of exp) and get at least 40k$/year?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    freelance, would depend on how hard you work at it. if you have the contacts to have steady work or not.

If you have the work coming in, ya, you could EASILY make that much. But, if you cant get freelance opportunities, then you could make alot less.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Southeast Asia anybody?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jr chartacter artist's here start between 42 and 52k which is considered low by a lot of the guys that have been around a while, but Vancouvers also one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in so it's def relative. I think the prop guys start around 37 and they're the lowest
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    yeah cost of living is a wild multiplier. When i moved to cali, cost of living was over 200% from where I was before. and thats reflected somewhat in the salary range too
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    yeah cost of living is a wild multiplier. When i moved to cali, cost of living was over 200% from where I was before. and thats reflected somewhat in the salary range too

this is something which terrifies me. Right now, in Pittsburgh, I'm at 700 /month for what is essentially a 3 bedroom house. I plan on being out in LA in about a year's time, and as I've been preliminarily looking into housing and such, I haven't been able to find a place equivalent to mine, for less than 2K.

I'm boned :poly142:
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robat: your pay should be higher to compensate for the higher cost of living but you'll still probably have to downgrade to a 2 bedroom place - I've noticed pay doesn't increase on a 1:1 ration with cost of living.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    just fyi, it is illegal to prevent employees from discussing wages, regardless of what your contract may claim.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    jipe wrote: »
    just fyi, it is illegal to prevent employees from discussing wages, regardless of what your contract may claim.

Most of the people who post here have their online presence here tied to their professional life, and while it's one thing to talk about salary levels with friends or close folks, no one really has anything to gain by posting that they were hired on at exactly $42k at BumFuck Games.

Game Developer's salary survey is going to be a lot more useful to anyone trying to gauge wages than the 3-4 people who are even willing to post a rough range of what they make.

For what it's worth they just stuff a dufflebag full of $20s and hand it to me every other week. It's enough to afford 9.3 hookers a month.

The .3 hooker is always a disappointment.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe wrote: »

I'll discuss it openly if you write me a blank check for legal fees and potential lost wages ;-)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I don't mean to sound offensive but anybody paying Juniors $50k a year is crazy and pretty stupid. I mean, if that's what the market rate is then fair enough (even though that doesn't make it any better) but what planet was the guy on who thought a Junior was worth a $50k salary.

Can you please explain to me why paying someone new to the industry 50k a year is crazy and pretty stupid? I see no logic in your thought processes on this and would love to know.

For me it doesn't seem crazy or stupid at all. For a career built around people with talent and not some task a bunch of high school drops outs could do it seems fairly reasonable. I find it odd anyone would think, oh so I made 9 bucks an hour in high school or after college working at the mall, the super market or some restaurant and that my first job in the game industry should be an increase in money but not too much because that would be stupid on the companys part.

Not everyone will make a ton of money right out of school or for there first gig. Talent, the company and the needs of the project all dictate that. Being contract compared to full time also can greatly affect that as most contract gigs don't offer things such as health insurance and such so they pay more.

Its a foolish thing to think that paying talented people for the hard work they do is crazy or stupid. What is crazy and stupid is to believe your worth less then you actually are worth.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    everyone knows you can dupe kids straight out of college into working for peanuts.

doing anything else is crazy and pretty stupid...
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Sauron wrote: »
    Southeast Asia anybody?
    now Im living in Canada but i can provide some rough info about SE

in southeast asia is pretty cheap, but its all depends on economy growth. and city/country location.

ok let me estimate am ideal single white collar living cost on my home city back in Southeast asia called Jakarta
    (so to let you know this is not estimating gamedev wage but more about wage in general.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_cities_for_expatriate_employees
    since its darn expensive for Southeast asian standard, this the estimate living cost doesnt apply if you live in other smaller city.

rent 500$ - 600$
    utilities 100$
    food 225$
    transport 150$ ( transport hell)
    very2 nice location apartment is about 70.000$ ( if you want to buy)

so the "ideal" salary is 24.000$ per year , well im not sure this for junior white collar, maybe just replace 500$ rent to 150$ rent ( smaller place)

but animation industry there wont earn that much. its about 3000$ - 15.000$ a year depends on experience :(:(
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Can you please explain to me why paying someone new to the industry 50k a year is crazy and pretty stupid? I see no logic in your thought processes on this and would love to know.

That is an incredible amount of money to pay somebody new to the industry. Judging by the responses, it doesn't seem that unusual to you US residents but over here, as I said, a lot of people will never earn £30,000 GBP in their life, and cost of living isn't exactly cheap in many places.

I just think, for an industry that is in the press for cutting staff so often, and where studios are closing faster than they are opening, paying entry level staff a salary like that seems madness.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ usually people who found out that the wage is so low for job they like, they will open their own business ....
    my sister went to school in singapore and graduated as fashion designer, and found out the wage for junior designer in that country doesn't live up her wage standard.
    then she go back to hometown and open a clothing business... so far she succeed :).
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    wait a sec, were supposed to be paid for this stuff? ....dammit!
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Talent isn't everything, and it certainly shouldn't be a ticket to a big salary. I've played guitar for 15 years, spent hundreds of hours practicing and most would probably say I'm talented at it, but I wouldn't sit on the street and play for people expecting to see $40-50k sitting in my hat at the end of the year..

You're not a talented guitarist then. You might be skilled but a talented performer would be able to pull that kind of money just on a street corner.

Here's an actual example of two experienced musicians who raise hundreds of dollars for charity by busking. And this is not even a whole days worth:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USNMSQZUFPU[/ame]

If you can produce the same quality of work as an experienced artist then you should be paid as much as one.

Keep in mind that top artists can earn over $100k per year.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Because I genuinely don't think an entry level artist, regardless of talent, is worth $50k.

I work in Arch Viz, admittedly it's not games but one still needs an appropriate level of skill in CG and art to do it. As an employer, if someone came to an interview with 0 or little work experience expecting $50k a year, I would laugh them out the door.

Talent isn't everything, and it certainly shouldn't be a ticket to a big salary. I've played guitar for 15 years, spent hundreds of hours practicing and most would probably say I'm talented at it, but I wouldn't sit on the street and play for people expecting to see $40-50k sitting in my hat at the end of the year.

Wtf are you talking about? Some of the people I know applying for junior positions are able to produce pretty high quality assets. Why should they be paid much less than other artists just because they're breaking in if they can produce the same amount/quality of work. I can see the salary being lower than say a staff or lead artist, but it shouldn't be drastically lower especially considering some of the hiring processes companies stand by these days are pretty intense whether it be an art test to judge their skills or 8 phone interviews followed by 2 in person interviews.

I've even seen some students who make better shit than people who are leads at some studios. Granted at that point whether they're an AD or whatever determines how much actual artwork they produce for the company outside of managing their team.

It's a lucrative industry so why would you pay your employees peanuts, it's just going to make them not want to work there.

You mention you play guitar, great, but there are tons of people that play guitar. There are much less people that are actually skilled/talented for a job as a proficient game artist. It's not like they strut into a studio and get picked up instantly.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you determine the worth of an artist then or anyone for that matter? What are you basing your "there not worth this much" how much do you think most are worth?

With Arch Viz you are comparing apples and oranges. The work done for Arch Viz is predominately useless to the general populous in terms of a tangible product to buy, sell and market. Video games are not.

Talent is and should be a ticket for a big salary. And why should it not? Would you pay someone who has a lot of experience bad more then you would someone who is new and extremely good? Fuck no, that is just silly. You pay for quality and quantity, and talent gets quality at least. Experience will get you quantity but it wont always get you quality.

The difference between someone who is talented in music playing a guitar and those working in this industry is that is one individual making something against hundreds making 1 project. More often then not the large project will net the highest income for the project leading to those individuals making more then just some dude trying to push his demo tape.

For the too much money going around comment that one threw me for a loop. Are you trying to say that instead of spreading the wealth of the project to all the people who made it is a bad thing? What should these company's do with all this money if they are not going to spread it around to there employees who actually made the product that sold so well?

People in this industry should feel lucky they are here and have a shot at making a good living for the hard work they put in. Most people will never get that. Its a shame for them but that's there industry. We are lucky to be in a great industry where you make what you earn.

Also the only reason you see layoffs in this industry all the time and what makes it seem like a lot is the fact that you read industry news sites who report this type of thing. You will more then likely never really see studio closures mentioned on the news just like you don't hear about other industry cutting jobs and closing shops. It happens to everyone in every industry.

Finally you shouldn't just leave a discussion because you might have ruffled there feathers as you said with your differing opinions. There is nothing wrong with having discussions on various topics with lots of different views. The only time it becomes a problem is when people start bitching and throwing hissy fits instead of sticking to the topic at hand.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The amount of money people are paid depends on several factors such as: How much money the company makes/has and therefore can spend on employees. How saturated the job market might be. And how badly the company wants to hire this person. etc.

It doesn't matter what you imagine a "fair wage" is.

Let's say a game rakes in 10 million in pure profits, but each of it's 10 employees were only paid 50k a year. Was the company stupid to pay them so much, or were the employees stupid to take the job for so little?

Wages vary based on a lot of factors. Junior artists can get hired for a ton of money, or sometimes very little. The same goes for senior artists. One is not more correct than the other. It's just the result of a variety of variables from bargaining power to market conditions.

As an aside, someone who doesn't think they're worth very much won't get much.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    I can relate a little bit to what the guitar guy said.

When I started learning music (guitar,piano etc) when I was 17 I figured that no matter what my talent would get me results and employment somehow in the music industry.

So I practiced and was very disciplined about learning. 8 years later I had incredible chops and a decent imagination for writing instrumental music. However talent alone in THAT industry won't guarantee success.

But that's the industry!

However in visual arts especially 3D and CGi your portfolio (Show of your talent/skill/chops) can and will get you your job. If your really good...

As a side note I have been working professionally as a graphic designer for one of the largest media companies in canada for about 10 years. And my salary has been dropping consistently the last 4 years. lol. I used to make decent money but now it's just not worth it.

Which is why I decided to take my elite 2D photoshop skills (:D) and learn texturing and digital painting which led me to 3d graphics and learning game engines, environmental design etc.

We are lucky that the game industry pays as well as it does at this time. I suspect that salaries will drop in the future as companies get greedy and cost of dev continues to climb and younger and more talented people start cropping up.

If there becomes a huge supply of talented 3D designers than the industry can start to pay less.

There a loads of graphic designers being churned out every year. Too much supply : ) Too little decent opportunities.
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    for example in Poland (middle europe) it's like $8k - $10k /year for a junior and about $14k/year for an artist ^_^
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    I've always wondered... when does JR become SR?
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    QLZ it varies for the company and project. Usually a JR becomes, senior after at least 1 to 3 titles shipped. It also depends on the duties that JR was performing. Some JR's such as myself when I started out became an intricate part in our games development. Our JR's were doing the same exact work as the SR's just not everyone had been in the industry as long as them. Some JRs are told to just do collision and optimization or model this tree infinity billion times and they never grow on the job and dont have the same advantages as others at certain other companies. So in the end there is no real set rule or what not. Al ot of time it is about being in the right place at the right time and ceasing opportunities.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    It varies a lot from company to company yes. In some companies, each project that you finish takes you one step up. (And I mean full production, from pre production to shipping).
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Sevv wrote: »
    Junior artists in the UK get between £18k - £24k. Artist £24k - £30k. Senior/Lead £32k ish +

I second this for the UK.
    But I haven't seen at lot of jobs listed for a senior position below 35k.

Living in London you are looking at at least £1,000 for a decent one bedroom apartment. Houses are like £2,500 - £3,000 a month. Plus there are other higher living costs in London. So you tend to see 3k - 10k added to your salary here depending on how senior your position is.

London is hardcore expensive.:poly127:
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ ouch! >.< so expensive
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everybody :D
    Any information from Germany here?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah my 1 bedroom apt in Santa Monica is 1500 dollars a month : / I payed 800 in Seattle and had things like in door washer and dryer and it was 100sq feet bigger.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I'm working as an intern which means I get an education and 2,5 year of work experience at an Arch Viz company in Denmark.. The state supports the company by paying a bit of my salary which is around $1900 a month before taxes(meaning I only get $1400 after taxes) and I live in the second most expensive city in Denmark.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zpanzer, thats interesting, how much do you spend on food and transport per month?
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is depressive. :/
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Sauron wrote: »
    @Zpanzer, thats interesting, how much do you spend on food and transport per month?

Well, my danish budget is like this:
    7898,- salary
    2500,- for rent, electricity, television, internet and heat.(I live in a 20 m^2 basement room around 2km from downtown
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Tom Ellis wrote: »
    Because I genuinely don't think an entry level artist, regardless of talent, is worth $50k.

I work in Arch Viz, admittedly it's not games but one still needs an appropriate level of skill in CG and art to do it. As an employer, if someone came to an interview with 0 or little work experience expecting $50k a year, I would laugh them out the door.

Talent isn't everything, and it certainly shouldn't be a ticket to a big salary. I've played guitar for 15 years, spent hundreds of hours practicing and most would probably say I'm talented at it, but I wouldn't sit on the street and play for people expecting to see $40-50k sitting in my hat at the end of the year.

well, i personally seen junior get hired at 45K USD. and in several cases the junior artist was more skilled than the senior artists in the studio. the junior title is given only because he doesnt have previous experience but he got that salary because he is worth more than the senior artist.
    here in NY the starting salary for 3d artists is around 45-50k USD and for people with 3-5 years experience the salary can be around 80K USD. the living cost is high as well, my 1bd appartment rent is ~ $1400 a month.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I said some stupid things, but as Autocon pointed out, I was comparing it to my own line of work which was wrong. Here in the Arch-Viz industry experience and knowing someone can get the job done is an equally big factor in employing someone.

When I'm interviewing someone, I want to know they are fully familiar with the workflow (by workflow I mean how to deal with clients, blueprints, file management, and deadlines) and even if they're great artists from an artistic point of view, I can't risk paying them highly initially until I know they know the system and can perform well.

I guess in some studios you'd use the probation period to test that, but again, just how things are done from my own experience.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    well, i personally seen junior get hired at 45K USD. and in several cases the junior artist was more skilled than the senior artists in the studio. the junior title is given only because he doesnt have previous experience but he got that salary because he is worth more than the senior artist.
    here in NY the starting salary for 3d artists is around 45-50k USD and for people with 3-5 years experience the salary can be around 80K USD. the living cost is high as well, my 1bd appartment rent is ~ $1400 a month.

really, that's not s bad at all