Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Tony Sladky

Recently graduated from Ringling College of Art & Design, and now the job hunt begins!

I know I need a lot of polish and probably a some additional new stuff in my portfolio. Feedback is appreciated.

Feel free to crit my website as well, though I'm pretty noobish at web stuff so if you're going to suggest major changes, it would be most helpful if you could point me towards tutorials on how to do the thing you're suggesting.

http://www.tonysladky.com/

In terms of the sort of jobs I would be looking for, I really enjoy Hard Surface modeling and texturing. Going really low-res isn't a major problem for me. In a perfect world, there'd be a listing somewhere for an entry-level Sci-Fi vehicle artist, but I haven't seen it yet, so I'm working on broadening my horizons. I've got an environment and a weapon in progress, but neither is really ready to be shown off yet.

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Take out all the Wordpress features on your web site, it's really distracting and doesn't help you to sell your content, which are the most important part of your portfolio. Which mean : search bar, comments, recent entries, links. This should being apply to all your pages. Do this first and we'll see what to do after that.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Your screenshots are absolutely massive. It took a while for my browser to load all your stuff and my internet is pretty fast. Also the fact that you made the renders super massive means every little nook and cranny is going to be criticized when people look at it. Save out renders as they would look in a game, but don't make them horribly small either.

Because you made the images so huge I can already spot a ton of errors in the bakes in your textures, and a few odd choices in topology for your low resolutions.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Your website is extremely distracting to me. Those wire frames are no good. They hurt my eyes and my soul, especially against the white background.
    A quick way to do this in max is

clone the object, go to material editor, click on wire frame darken the wire frame to whatever color u want.

Apply the material to the new cloned object then use a push modifier on the cloned object enough to where it pushes outside the original object, render and see until you get what you want. That's a quick and dirty way of doing it.

Second, you need more work. As of right now I have no idea what you want to do.

The side text that seems to be blog entries is confusing as all hell. Just show me your arts,,,

The font isnt working for me against those colors on your site. The site right now feels like a bit of 1997 geo cities to it. The presentation is lacking right now.

Give a nice 3 point lighting setup to show off your models. They feel extremely flat and dull right now, put them in a scene, create a scene or two.

That's all I've got now.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    The designs are cool.

You need to make proper high-poly models and bake your normal maps. What you have now is not good.
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    The normal maps seem to have some serious problems as ceebee mentioned. Look at the trims and the grill here.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everyone else here, your images are too big and shows too many mistakes. Also, ditch the design of the website, although it doesn't look like it was thrown together, it doesn't look great. A portfolio says to the world, "Look at me, top that" without of course being arrogant. Also, you need to polish the resume, I am sure your school has plenty of resources to help you with that. Its the details that gets you the job.