Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - 2012 - Making it defualt icon for files

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Heya to all my peeps in the neighborhood,

Spider-man here, and I have a question, one which is complex enough that it send Dr. O-Man in the fritz, but hey, as they always say, you can split an atom and divide by zero, but coming head to head with 3DS Max is like having your ear canal violated by a lion wearing a sandpaper condom.

I installed Max 2012, however, I also have 2011 installed JUST incase, but something happened in the installation process.

All of my files, lost the pretty icons on them, meaning that they look like 'white' paper (so racist btw) instead of having the Max icon on them, I tried applying it manually, but they still don't look right.

I know, I know, my webs are running dry at this point, so let me wrap up my question real quick, how can I associate with which Max version my files can open as well it including the pretty icons on them?

Anyway neighbors, thanks for any replies and helping hands here (get it? Hands? Plural? Spiders have 8 hands? Oh lordy, I crack myself up) I'll be off to save some people. Kudos!

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Try this - It should be able to re-register 3ds max and might fix the icon issue....

http://blarg.robertkist.com/?p=30

need to change the paths in this though.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Jesus Spider-Man, stop with the puns.

Jokes aside, something similar happened to me before, but one day it got fixed. Magic, I guess.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks alot mate!

Here is what I came up with, it works after I restart my PC mind you, but wanted to make sure I didn't screw up anything.
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\3dsmax]
    @="3dsmax scene file""EditFlags"=dword:00000000"BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\3dsmax\DefaultIcon]
    @="\"D:\\Software Files\\Autodesk\\3ds Max 2012\\UI\\Icons\\file_3dsmax_max.ico\""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\3dsmax\Shell]
    @="Open"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\3dsmax\Shell\Open]
    @="Open with Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 64-bit"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\3dsmax\Shell\Open\Command]
    @="\"D:\\Software Files\\Autodesk\\3ds Max 2012\\3dsmax.exe\" \"%1\""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\3dsmax\Shell\Open_with_3ds_Max_2012]
    @="Open with 3ds Max 2012"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\3dsmax\Shell\Open_with_3ds_Max_2012\command]
    @="D:\\Software Files\\Autodesk\\3ds Max 2012\\3dsmax.exe \"%l\""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.max]
    @="3dsmax"