Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Subway Environment for UDK

Someone told me I need something more than just weapons in my portfolio. Well I'm going to remedy that :)

A while back I was working on a level in UT2004 called dm_metro. Unfortunately I never got to finish it but I did enjoy making a subway environment a lot. This is a big bad on my part but I just downloaded the latest UDK today. Are there any huge differences when it comes to building levels or environments? I heard someone say that they got rid of subtractive brushes so does that mean they need to be constructed with additive brushes like in Hammer now?

Anyway, here's some screen shots of the old level. I want to focus on the main platform area for the environment and add a bunch of different props.

012010a.jpg
012010c.jpg

I made the wall and floor textures myself as well as the exit signs but I plan on doing everything from scratch this time around. I made this high poly model of a bench in an hour or so:

benchrender.jpg

Here's the main reference: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/5160473770_de20f82fc4.jpg

Now should I add details in z-brush like nicks and edge damage and such? Or should I just do that in photoshop? I don't have much experience in z-brush at all so if I were to use it for the bench what would be the best way of importing it? As in iterations of smoothing and such.

Replies

• Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    ok...I have never used the the previous unreal engine(havent been in the 3d field very long. I'm only 18 but from what I can tell by looking at this photo, and watching some kids play unreal tournament at my school, all it has to offer is benefits. When I first started to learn UDK, subtractive brushes were fading away. within an update or two, they just completely removed the "build subtractive level" or what ever option. To my(and totally uneducated) understanding, when you would build a building for example with subtractive brushes, you would build a big box, then subtract out your geometry, but now instead of doing that, you would just build 6 additive brushes that would be walls(floor, cieling, 4 walls) and then build pillars and such inside of that room.
  • Zealotlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so it is like Hammer now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I learned through the old unreal book and they taught primarily subtractive level building. Guess that's out now.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Zealotlee wrote: »
    Okay so it is like Hammer now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I learned through the old unreal book and they taught primarily subtractive level building. Guess that's out now.

like hammer but still a bit better you have to start off with addtive brushes but to make holes for windows and doors you can use a subtractive brush, instead of having to clip the brushes to make a hole.
  • Zealotlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benchudk.jpg

Well I got the bench working in UDK after some trial and error. Still not sure if the specular looks like I want it to. The bench has that glossy coating on the wood and it's not conveying that right now. I'm still pretty new to the material editor for UDK3 too.

I'm also having a big problem. It keeps saying my package and everything in it is an external reference and won't build properly when I playtest it. How do I fix this?
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, please fix those lights... washed out and so distracting. Honestly, I would start over, or at least fix the textures.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    too repetitive and empty. you need ads on the walls, speakers, vending machines, wall damage, graffiti. make the place feel used. Also drop half of the lights and space them out more and maybe make a few broken light models where maybe their missing a bulb or just broken in general.
    As for your bench, I couldn't imagine a subway having wooden benches, I'd expect metallic or plastic benches, the wood would just look out of place.
    Best of luck to you,
    Thanks for reading,
    Bombshell
  • Zealotlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, to be honest I just set up a very basic room to test the prop in game. Hence why I made no attempt to really show off the rest of the environment. And if you're referring to those first two pictures ignore those. They're only meant to show off what I'm re-creating from scratch anyway. And that wood bench is from multiple photos of New York subway stations so I'm going to stick with it. But thanks for giving me ideas as to what to add to the scene. I plan on making some posters, trash cans, light fixtures, and lots of other stuff for this. I think for now I'm going to try to block out the scene more in UDK and get myself reaquainted/familiarized.

Also no answer as to the external reference issue?
  • Rapture117
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, so I'm 3 months late to the party lol, but I just picked up a new card for UDK and was wondering how to make a hole in a roof? I really want to make it look detailed to (pieces of wood sticking out, light shafts, etc), but I'm not exactly sure how to do this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again and sorry for being late!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Zealotlee - the package save problem seems to be common for udk beginners :P
    First of all, make sure u save the package under UDK/udk game/content folder (for the peace of mind :)
    Secondly, once u import very first asset which creates a new package it will appear in the bottom of your Content Browser package list, under "new packages" folder. It is some sort of temporary placement where all newly created packages go, even if u have specified its name/location etc when importing your first mesh.
    What u need to do is right-click on it and select Save. Then, it will ask u where u want to save your package. Only after that u will see it in its destination folder.

As for the level building in general, I would recommend that you model modules of all your architecture (floors, walls, ceiling etc) and build with them.
    As for the z-brush - it does not really matter what u use, important is how it looks ;) In case of a metro station z-brush is not that essential to achieve good results since its not an alien organic base... Here just good "classical" low-poly modeling and good textures will do the job just fine.

In any case, what is more important is overall look, texture balance, lighting and composition. And in your case I would first concentrate on that, not on zbrush-ing props and such ;) It is a good environment for a beginner to practice foundation techniques, so u r on a right track, just don't get distracted by "how do i make my broken pillar" right from the start ;) Keep it up
  • Miller02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zealotlee- hows it going man? just saw your thread and was like hmm ill check this out im working on a subway scene currently for my senior project for graduation. Seems like your going to take your old level and revamp it? just wondering what your ideas are for it. if its going to be a playable level or just a scene? feel free to check my progress out. link is in my signature.

saw ur question on the new udk not having subtractive mode....it does=)

im right there with Matroskin's post as well. module building is the key!

be sure to figure out a focal point and story for your scene , if you end up going scene wise not playable level.

WOrk hard and dont stop!:thumbup:
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Can we see your references, please?
  • darksol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, I cant wait to see how your going to do the lighting.