Home Unreal Engine

Custom Level Screenshot In Level Select

My question is pretty straight forward, I would like to have a screenshot of my level shown when selecting it rather then the .img icon which displays when there is no screenshot.

I've done some searching and haven't found much so I'm coming here hoping to get directed to some documentation on the subject.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    It's oh man... hold on... it used to be you made a material and set it as the same name and in the ini you point to it. I think it changed because I ran across this a few weeks ago on UDN.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, go to: C:\UDK\UDKGame\Config\UDKGame.ini

Somewhere in the section where this is defined (like line 606 abouts..) add this:

[YourMapName UTUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
    MapName=YourMapName
    PreviewImageMarkup=PackageName.FolderName.NameOfImage

This should work fine. For YourMapName, DO NOT add the .udk file extension.
  • Mcbiskit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lamont, you're definitely getting me in the right direction I'm still just a little confused about some things.

First I wanted to make sure I clarify exactly what I'm doing. I'm am going to take my custom map and cook it to it's own installation file and will most likely be installed on PC's without UDK.

Now what I'm confused on.
    You suggested I edit the existing .ini, but it suggests here...

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitContentCreation.html

that I'll have to create my own .ini file specific to my level. Which should I do? Regardless of which .ini I have to use, how do I make sure the .ini is packed with the level when I cook it? Will it be automatic if the level file and .ini file have the same name?

I'm also confused by the last line that I have to add. I understand I'm adding the image and making a material from it, and that somehow I have to point to it. First it will point to the package, I understand that, but I'm not sure what FolderName exactly means. Is that basically just what type of asset it is, in this case Material? (As shown in the above link.) And then NameOfImage, is that really mean the name of the material.

If it is going to work the way I think it is, I'll put the info in for my Silo 19 level as such....

[Silo19 UTUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
    MapName=Silo19
    FriendlyName=Silo 19
    NumPlayers=1 Author: Mike Jones
    PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:SiloAssets.Materials.Silo19MenuImage_Mat>
    Description=Single Player Level

I'm just about to the point of cooking this, so I'll be testing it myself soon, just hoping to get some info on it before I hit that stage.

Thanks in advance!
  • Mcbiskit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I tried that and it didn't work. I must be misunderstanding something.
  • Mcbiskit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I walked away from the issue for a day or two and when I came back to it I figured it out pretty quick. I now have a screenshot from the game that displays when the level is selected. However the screenshot is incredibly low res and I can't figure out why. I have it at the resolution upped in photoshop and saved it out at the 512x256 dimensions I'm supposed to. However when the image shows in the menu, you can't even make out what's going on in the image.

Secondly, as I said before I'm going to cook my level into a stand alone installer so that people can play the level without UDK. So far, my stand alone installer doesn't bring the information about the screenshot with it it seems as no screenshot appears when I'm playing on another system. Any ideas about this?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I missed the response. You probably need to set the image to UI_LOD group for it to show up nice and crisp.

It could be a few reasons why, first would be that the package isn't in the correct place. Two, still didn't config the correct ini file, it's grabbing the default. I never did that since the default was fine... but I am sure I can figure it out.