[Portfolio] Paul Harvey- Environment/Props pwnage

sup playas
check it out, lemme know what you think

http://flawlessvictories.net/

Replies

• CGvanHoudt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In general I think you have a lot of unused UV space, especially in Proctor. And why do you have so much cylinders on the body of the otherwise low poly Stryker vehicle?
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    You've got some good work, and your texturing is pretty strong, although many of the shots some very blown out and overexposed, you might want to revisit the lighting on a couple pieces.

I have also never, ever seen anybody match concepts so closely in 3d. It's almost a little creepy. Way to go.

Two big critiques - get rid of that hideous background tile, and remove the character from your Misc page - it's far weaker than your environment work, and pulls down the overall quality. Hope this is helpful.

.....Good Day!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work in here. I agree that you have a lot of unused UV space, but what can I say. Your stuff sure looks nice.

Also, you should get rid of the strange girl in the misc. section. That is just.. really creepy. It doesn't look good compared to the rest of your work, also the WIP building can go until it's done in my opinion.

I agree with the comments on your about section - write something about yourself that doesn't include how flawless your victories are or how pwnage your props are.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Some suggestions:
    - There's some waste of texture space on the first piece of work. Same for the castle. Also, it's confusing when you put a mix of high poly and low poly wireframe screenshot everywhere. Consider to put the low poly wireframe for each of your work. - For the high poly, it would be nice to see it in grey with the light.
    - Your "about" is strange and distracting, which break the whole professionalism of your web site. Consider to put pertinent informations about you, not just a picture of a wall.
    - You have some good general reproduction skills, it would be nice to see more stuffs coming from you.
    - Some pictures are clickable but the link doesn't work.
    - Same like Razgriz, your background doesn't really fit with your content. Fancy and war machines aren't the same topic.
    Hope this help!
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    great work man :) . lovely layout .. you could use marmoset toolbag to get some good presentation for your model like " stryker " ... will look perfect :D

good luck
  • Muttt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muttt polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice work! I would have really liked to see a polycount for some of these pieces. Also, there is a lot of unused UV space, what resolution are you working with?

The About page is very odd.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    "Strong sense of concentration"

I think you should loose this from your resume.. doesn't make much sense.

edit - after looking over your resume again.. you defiantly don't need words like Experiential, mastery, or ancillary.

A studio isn't going to hire you becuase you impressed them with fancy words. Keep it simple and quick and easy to read.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should change the format of your resume. It seems a little hard to follow.
  • Gingerookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sup Paul, we had Kevin's class together!!!
  • unclestan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the input people!

I fixed most of the picture links and im working on making the resume more readable.

Got rid of the girl, seemed like a unanimous critique there. And I agree. Its pretty much the only character ive done.

YES and for that UV space. Most of these renders are Maya renders, so efficiency of UV space isnt that important. So I just set up UV's for specific groups of objects and for ease of use. Conversely, I have a few projects in there what maximize UV space well, which shows that I can do that too.

The "about" page is just supposed to be funny. That and internet.. and tacos... which is actually what im about. PLus, sense of humour is important too!

AKira anyone?? woot woot
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    I second what everyone has said in here. Also, just my 2 cents. The whole sup playas, Akira Woot woot and the about me just kind of rubs me the wrong way. I understand we are all individuals but there is just something about that, that rubs me the wrong way. First off to me it screams completely un-professional, just be understanding of how you can come off to potential employers. You might think you're a wild and crazy guy and deep down people love you, but what some could be thinking is " holy shit this guy is a douche bag" Your texturing is really strong with pieces I agree but just be careful of how you present yourself to potential employers and the co workers you could potentially be working with..
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Proctor3.jpg

oh good lord what
  • unclestan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shucks. I figured that a brief levity could be taken in stride. This has been pretty enlightening. I appreciate the honest feedback though, so I'm gonna keep workin on the site before I apply
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    on a side note i like your about page
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work, but the pages showing the work seem to have all the images offset by half a page to the right in firefox 4 at least.
  • unclestan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Site is fixed and ready.