Home Technical Talk

[Zbrush] Multiple Sub tool adjustments @ once?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Like the title says I need to know how to manipulate various sub tools or selected sub tools without having to adjust each one manually.

Example torso and lower half can be scaled together but they are different sub tools, if this is an easy one well I never had to do It before.

thanks.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    With scaling/transpose, you could try the Transpose Master plugin. Otherwise, maybe merge the tools together, edit, and then split them back into different subtools whenever you're done?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    As far as I know there is no proper, simple way to do this, it's one of those things that should be super simple and obvious to do, but isn't because of how backwards Zbrush's interface and workflow is.

For simple movements you can use the "Contact" tool in the subtools menu, which alows you to lock a subtool onto areas of another subtool, so that when that area moves, the subtool will move with it, but it doesn't work with scaling (and it's super weird to use, took me a while to figure it out).

Another solution is to do it in another program, with GoZ for example. This will work for slight changes in size, but if you do a really important scale (like x100 or something), because of how Zbrush handles it's layer data, when you send your model back to zbrush all the detail information will not have scalled, so it'll look like all the details have been softened (or contrasted if you reduce it).

Last solution, that should actually work, but is kind of a brainfuck, is to take your subtools to a separate tool file, change the export scale offset setting, go back to your original tool, and append the your subtools from the new tool to it (might have to read that 5 or 6 times to understand wtf I'm talking about xD).
    When Zbrush appends, it uses the tools export scale offset, so it'll scale your subtools... Problem is you have to calculate the scale you want precisily, you have no visual feedback of it.

Hope that helps, and I hope someone posts a super simple solution proving what an idiot I am. :)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    it's one of those things that should be super simple and obvious to do, but isn't because of how backwards Zbrush's interface and workflow is.
    I could be wrong, but I think it's one of those things that lets you work with an object that has a total of 20 million polygons without exploding, because the main focus is on the current subtool.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    cryrid wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think it's one of those things that lets you work with an object that has a total of 20 million polygons without exploding, because the main focus is on the current subtool.
    Probably, still, another simple solution, that is present in almost any other proper 3D application, would have been being able to properly set pivot points on subtools, and scale them via numerical values rather than the weirdo move/rotate/scale tools currently available, that would make scaling multiple objects super simple as well...
    I love Zbrush, but I hate it quite a bit too. :D
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa thanks guys :) thought I was going to hear noob learn your shit! lol

This is what I did hopefully It doesn't ruin anything:

I had to make duplicates in case anything went wrong and now I see I have to merge down then split groups.
    *shaking head* making things harder for no reason.

I got another little head -f- how do you fan out ends of clothing, example bell bottom pants and sleeves? (already did It but I couldn't get the result, had to GO.Z)

/\ I think I figured out why they made the goZ option beside It being awesome but they were probably like whatever you can do in your App that you can't with ours will be solved, and we don't have to add all that other stuff and bloat our software. :)

I will use these other options at a later date and see which works best for now I got what I needed thanks.

Bal:
    LMFAO @ brainfuck I lol'd I already knew my head was going to hurt so I said to myself bring It on! Yes I had to read It more than once too so another .lol'd.

Edit:
    Hell yes!
    Bal wrote: »
    properly set pivot points on subtools, and scale them via numerical values rather than the weirdo move/rotate/scale tools currently available, that would make scaling multiple objects super simple as well...
    I love Zbrush, but I hate it quite a bit too. :D

And keep axis at center lock no matter what you do to the damn object/mesh so that you don't have to be like wtf my shit's off axis and I can't use symmetry now DAMN IT.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I got another little head -f- how do you fan out ends of clothing, example bell bottom pants and sleeves? (already did It but I couldn't get the result, had to GO.Z)

Depending on what the mesh looks like, I'd drop to the lowest subdivision level and use the move brush. If the base mesh's geo is too heavy, I'd draw out a mask and then strongly blur it. Then it would be fit for deforms like size, inflat, or various brushes.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Transpose master or using goz on multiple subtools at once are probably the easiest ways to do this kind of thing. There's also a way to export an .obj from transpose master and then reimport it, but all I really remember about it is that you have to be very careful about vertex order.

For the ends of clothing, I too recommend the move brush or some variant thereof.

As to going off axis, I haven't tried it for this, but it should work... if it happens again sometime, try the "Scale Offset" command in subtool master, it's supposed to 0 it out in addition to setting scale to 1.0.